APOD: Apollo 11: Armstrong's Lunar Selfie (2023 Jul 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Apollo 11: Armstrong's Lunar Selfie (2023 Jul 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:06 am

Image Apollo 11: Armstrong's Lunar Selfie

Explanation: A photograph of Buzz Aldrin standing on the Moon taken by Neil Armstrong, was digitally reversed to create this lunar selfie. Captured in July 1969 following the Apollo 11 moon landing, Armstrong's original photograph recorded not only the magnificent desolation of an unfamiliar world, but Armstrong himself reflected in Aldrin's curved visor. In the unwrapped image, the spherical distortion of the reflection in Aldrin's helmet has been reversed. The transformed view features Armstrong himself from Aldrin's perspective. Since Armstrong took the original picture, today the image represents a fifty-four year old lunar selfie. Aldrin's visor reflection in the original image appears here on the left. Bright (but distorted) planet Earth hangs in the lunar sky above Armstrong's figure, toward the upper right. A foil-wrapped leg of the Eagle lander and Aldrin's long shadow stretching across the lunar surface are prominently visible. In 2024 NASA's Artemis II mission will return humans to the Moon.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Christian G.
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Apollo 11: Armstrong's Lunar Selfie (2023 Jul 22)

Post by Christian G. » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:14 pm

Hmm. Of course pictures of Armstrong et al. on the Moon are testimonies of some of mankind's greatest achievements and it's wonderful to see such images. But please, please, let's not use the term lunar "selfie", an unfortunate anachronism! Those damn narcissistic selfies are all the rage nowadays, whereas we usually love nature images unspoiled by humans…
"The magnificient desolation of an unfamiliar world" also says the APOD. That's what I love to see when I look at the moon! No traces of humans, just the otherworldly beauty of the cosmos.
And if one day I have a telescope powerful enough to spot a national flag on the moon, what a turn-off this will be!
Apologies for my half-serious off-topic rant.

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:41 pm

Chris Alex wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:14 pm Hmm. Of course pictures of Armstrong et al. on the Moon are testimonies of some of mankind's greatest achievements and it's wonderful to see such images. But please, please, let's not use the term lunar "selfie", an unfortunate anachronism! Those damn narcissistic selfies are all the rage nowadays, whereas we usually love nature images unspoiled by humans…
"The magnificient desolation of an unfamiliar world" also says the APOD. That's what I love to see when I look at the moon! No traces of humans, just the otherworldly beauty of the cosmos.
And if one day I have a telescope powerful enough to spot a national flag on the moon, what a turn-off this will be!
"...And the yellow soft mountains
Grow very still
Witness as intrusion
The humanoid thrill."

- from Jethro Tull, "For Michael Collins, Jeffery, and Me", 1970

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:52 pm

zendae1 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:41 pm
Chris Alex wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:14 pm Hmm. Of course pictures of Armstrong et al. on the Moon are testimonies of some of mankind's greatest achievements and it's wonderful to see such images. But please, please, let's not use the term lunar "selfie", an unfortunate anachronism! Those damn narcissistic selfies are all the rage nowadays, whereas we usually love nature images unspoiled by humans…
Grow very still
Witness as intrusion
The humanoid thrill."

Sorry, when the LEM ascended mast and flag was destroyed, now the flag is somewhere on the lunar soil

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:09 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:52 pm
zendae1 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:41 pm
Grow very still
Witness as intrusion
The humanoid thrill."

Sorry, when the LEM ascended mast and flag was destroyed, now the flag is somewhere on the lunar soil
I doubt they were destroyed. Just blown over so they are lying on the surface.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:16 pm

AldrinVisorCrop_Apollo11_1080.jpg
Armstrong's selfie!
NASA's Artemis II coming soon!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!