CfA: Stars' Spins Reveal Their Ages

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

CfA: Stars' Spins Reveal Their Ages

Post by bystander » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:30 pm

Stars' Spins Reveal Their Ages
Center for Astrophysics | 2015 Jan 05
[c][attachment=0]base[1].jpg[/attachment][/c]
When you're a kid every birthday is cause for celebration, but as you get older they become a little less exciting. You might not want to admit just how old you are. And you might notice yourself slowing down over the years. You're not alone - the same is true of stars. They slow down as they age, and their ages are well-kept secrets. Astronomers are taking advantage of the first fact to tackle the second and tease out stellar ages. ...

Being able to tell the ages of stars is the basis for understanding how astronomical phenomena involving stars and their companions unfold over time.

Knowing a star's age is particularly relevant to the search for signs of alien life outside our solar system. It has taken a long time for life on Earth to attain the complexity we find today. With an accurate stellar clock, astronomers can identify stars with planets that are as old as our Sun or older.

A star's spin rate depends on its age because it slows down steadily with time, like a top spinning on a table. A star's spin also depends on its mass; astronomers have found that larger, heavier stars tend to spin faster than smaller, lighter ones. This new work shows that there is a close mathematical relationship between mass, spin, and age so that by measuring the first two, scientists can calculate the third. ...

For gyrochronology ages to be accurate and precise, astronomers must calibrate their new clock by measuring the spin periods of stars with both known ages and masses. Meibom and his colleagues previously studied a cluster of billion-year-old stars. This new study examines stars in the 2.5-billion-year-old cluster known as NGC 6819, thereby significantly extending the age range. ...

A spin-down clock for cool stars from observations of a 2.5-billion-year-old cluster - Søren Meibom et al
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=23783
Attachments
This artist's impression of a &quot;cosmic clock&quot; illustrates <br />how astronomers have used stellar rotation to measure <br />the ages of stars in a 2.5-billion-year-old star cluster.  <br />Image Credit: Michael Bachofner
This artist's impression of a "cosmic clock" illustrates
how astronomers have used stellar rotation to measure
the ages of stars in a 2.5-billion-year-old star cluster.
Image Credit: Michael Bachofner
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: CfA: Stars' Spins Reveal Their Ages

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Just to say how much I appreciate the links you put to earlier threads that are relevant, bystander. Not only here, but generally in your posts in the Communications Center. Thank you.
Margarita

PS - and for locating the arXiv files when they are available. It is such a help.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS