How to help astronomy?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Chostany
Asternaut

How to help astronomy?

Post by Chostany » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:36 am

Hello everybody!

When I was a little kid, I visited an observatory that belonged to a university my mother used to teach at. I remember seeing Saturn's rings and Jupiter and a couple of it's moons. Ever since then, I have always loved astronomy. During high school I joined the astronomy club and did a couple of projects about Mars. I'm currently a student at a local community college debating on how to get more involved with astronomy. I'm really motivated to help develop this beautiful field of science and I'm hoping you could show me various ways in how to accomplish this.

For me, one of the most obvious ways would be to become an astronomer, but I'm interested in knowing about many educational and career paths that I could take. Building rovers, operating telescopes, maybe approaching it in computer science angle? Anything helps, from your experience, simple knowledge, and perhaps even hopes and dreams.

I'm sorry if it's too much of an open ended question, but I'm genuinely curious.

Would I need exceptional math skills? How long would I have to stay in school before trying to land a job? What would it really take for me to achieve my goal?

Thanks and I wish each and every one of you a Merry Christmas!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: How to help astronomy?

Post by owlice » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:55 am

Please look at the AstroBetter wiki (http://www.astrobetter.com/wiki/); much of the information you seek is likely there/can be found via links available there.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:34 am

owlice wrote:Please look at the AstroBetter wiki (http://www.astrobetter.com/wiki/); much of the information you seek is likely there/can be found via links available there.
That is a really useful link, Owlice, so thanks also from me. I browsed the blog that is connected to the wiki and was really taken by this post:
http://www.astrobetter.com/im-sorry-thi ... t-is-late/

It's not strictly related to the OP, but it does look at the wider picture of being a professional astronomer.
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:49 am

MargaritaMc wrote:It's not strictly related to the OP, but it does look at the wider picture of being a professional astronomer.
M
A wider picture of being a professional astronomer, yes.

Margarita, the AstroBetter site is excellent. You might also like astrobites and Jobs for Astronomers.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:16 am

owlice wrote: A wider picture of being a professional astronomer, yes.

Margarita, the AstroBetter site is excellent. You might also like astrobites and Jobs for Astronomers.
As you say, A wider picture.

The astrobites site is extremely useful for me, as I often struggle with arXiv papers. What they say here is just what I need and I have signed up for their daily updates.
Reading a technical paper from an unfamiliar subfield is intimidating. It may not be obvious how the techniques used by the researchers really work or what role the new research plays in answering the bigger questions motivating that field, not to mention the obscure jargon! For most people, it takes years for scientific papers to become meaningful.

Our goal is to solve this problem, one paper at a time. In 5 minutes a day reading Astrobites, you should not only learn about one interesting piece of current work, but also get a peek at the broader picture of research in a new area of astronomy.
http://astrobites.org/about/

At age 65, I am not looking to make a new career of astronomy (!), but I am thoroughly serious in my newly acquired "third age" interest and believe that I find astronomy more captivating than I ever found the subjects of my younger university days.
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

fdelplancke
Asternaut

Post by fdelplancke » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Dear Chostany,

The previous answers fully and competently addressed how to become a professional astronomer. However there are plenty of other ways to get actively involved with astronomy. I am personally an engineer working in an astronomical observatory as well as an amateur astronomer and I enjoy both a lot. So here are some more ideas.

Astronomical observatories, NASA, ESA, national laboratories employ a lot of engineers and technicians to build and run their facilities, instruments, satellites, spacecrafts and the infrastructure supporting them. As an engineer or technician you can be involved with the production of such wonderful pictures as shown on APOD and you are in close contact with many astronomers and their research. The kinds of studies leading to these careers are:
- physics degree or engineering degree (master or PhD) in optics, mechanics (big and fine), electronics, software (control software of instruments, data reduction software, archiving of data, database engineer...), project management, system engineering and related disciplines. Many universities even provide specializations (end of master or post-master) in aerospace, astronomical instrumentation etc...
- technical degrees in optics, fine mechanics, mechanical drawing, electronics, software... Think about all the people who have to build physically these instrument, not forgetting or inverting any screw or cable, keeping care of the proper optical alignment without leaving a finger print in the middle of the lenses ;-). They are as important as the astronomers who specify the instruments and as the engineers who design them and plan the projects. Think also about the people who have to operate the instruments night after night without making an error.

University level studies involve a fair amount of mathematics but not really "exceptional" math skills. Of course you should not be allergic to math. All the science and the engineering fields are based on maths to analyze large quantities of data on a meaningful way, to model complex systems etc... The funny thing in my case is that most of the mathematical concepts that I found strange and useless during my studies are the ones I use now the most. And the ones that I found beautiful and great are useless for me now. So my advise would be: be open, try to absorb (understand) as much as you can and you will be able to remember and go back to the right technique when you will have a use for it.

Technical studies as described above have a lighter requirement with respect to mathematics and are less long. The studies are more oriented toward hands-on skills and professional training on-the-job. They require agile fingers, patience, calm, perseverance and a lot of practical knowledge.

One finishes a master (engineering studies) at the usual age of ~23 (if no loss of year and if no exceptional trajectory). If you add a PhD, count 3 to 4 (or more) years for it. Technical studies are faster (age of 18 to 21 year-old depending on content, country...). You get professional experience during it (unpaid or paid), and some "real" job quicker.

Both engineering and technical studies have a wide range of applications and could offer you a stable job relatively fast ... allowing you to wait for the right opportunity to get a job related to astronomy. One is missing engineers and good technicians worldwide. To be an astronomer, you usually have to go for it straight (master, PhD, post-docs) and you stay a long time on short term contracts, moving you all around the world. It can be nice and it is very enriching culturally but it can also be stressful with a family or in case of financial difficulties.

I know several engineers who then did a PhD in astronomy and became astronomers; and several astronomers who had to go to working for banks, insurance companies, consulting companies ... but remained very active as amateur astronomers (e.g. teaching young people in astronomy camps, writing astronomical software...). And technicians can get continuous education and acquire university diplomas if needed, or just being recognized as *the* experts on this or that kind of system or discipline. So the different career paths are permeable.

Now to the question " What would it really take for me to achieve my goal?" my answer would be:
whatever you choose as studies you need enthusiasm, perseverance, an open and curious mind. Do not satisfy yourself with the minimum you can do, try to stretch yourself. Be constructive, positive.
And do not hesitate to apply to a job that interests you even if you have the impression that you are not fully qualified for it. The worse thing that can happen is to receive a polite "no" and you would be at the same point as if you have not applied, no worse. Just do not be discouraged. You need to have some luck to get a job in astronomy but you have to be attentive and ready to catch it when it passes by.

And another idea. There are many people working in astronomy "public outreach": astronomers, engineers but also graphical designers, communicators, teachers ... That could be another approach but I am not competent to help you with the kind of studies that can lead you there.

Hope this helps and good luck in your studies and career.
Happy New Year,

Francoise.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm

That's a splendid reply, Francoise! And your counsel about what is needed in order for the questioner to achieve his/her goal has very wide application, to the achievement of any of the things in life that one truly believes is worth doing.
So, THANK YOU very much!

Best wishes
Margarita