Discoveries from Planck may mean rethinking the universe

The cosmos at our fingertips.
stephen63
Science Officer

Discoveries from Planck may mean rethinking the universe

Post by stephen63 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 pm

The actual title. Discoveries from Planck may mean rethinking how the universe began.
Recently, scientists on the Planck team announced finding certain large-scale features on the CMB sky that they cannot explain. One of them: a large cold spot, which corresponds to an anomalously large area of high density.
What does this mean? To discuss the findings, The Kavli Foundation held a discussion with three key members on the team. One important question: Will the theory for how the universe began need to be modified, amended or even fundamentally changed?
"[T]he theory of inflation predicts that today's universe should appear uniform at the largest scales in all directions," says George Efstathiou, professor of Astrophysics at the University of Cambridge and director of the Kavli Institute for Cosmology at Cambridge (KICC). "That uniformity should also characterize the distribution of fluctuations at the largest scales within the CMB. But these anomalies, which Planck confirmed, such as the cold spot, suggest that this isn't the case."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-07-discoverie ... n.html#jCp

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Discoveries from Planck may mean rethinking the universe

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:33 pm

I have never understood (I should probably stop right there) where this idea of uniformity came from and why it is considered vital. Surely if there was turbulence after the big bang -- and surely there was -- then just as surely there should be some lack of uniformity now in the universe, even (or perhaps especially) at the largest of scales. Finding true uniformity would be, it seems to me, the real surprise.

I wonder if that idea of uniformity came out of simplifications and assumptions originally made to keep the math from becoming intractable. Surely not.

Rob

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Perhaps we'll get an explanation here. I thought that non-uniformity of the cosmos is what allowed stars to form in the first place. How did they determine what the criteria are for an "anomalously large area of high density"?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:13 pm

rstevenson wrote:I wonder if that idea of uniformity came out of simplifications and assumptions originally made to keep the math from becoming intractable. Surely not.
The math supports a pretty high degree of uniformity. Where I have problems with these kinds of reports (and this is nothing new... cosmologists have been looking at the cold spot and other non-uniformities for a few years now) is with the hyperbole that it requires "rethinking the Universe". I very much doubt that is the case. It seems much more likely to me that small changes in various parameters, or subtle shifts in existing theory will explain what we observe without throwing out most of our existing ideas.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 pm

A New Baby Picture of the Universe
The Kavli Foundation | 2013 Jul 25

Planck spacecraft observations support the prevailing theory of
Big Bang cosmology – but they also raise puzzling new questions.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:56 am

That's an interesting logo that the Kavli Foundation has. What is that?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:38 am

rstevenson wrote:
I have never understood (I should probably stop right there) where this idea of uniformity came from and why it is considered vital. Surely if there was turbulence after the big bang -- and surely there was -- then just as surely there should be some lack of uniformity now in the universe, even (or perhaps especially) at the largest of scales. Finding true uniformity would be, it seems to me, the real surprise.

I wonder if that idea of uniformity came out of simplifications and assumptions originally made to keep the math from becoming intractable. Surely not.
Uniformity has always been an observed condition of the universe/CMB that can only be explained by inflation.

Non-uniformity is an observed condition of the of the universe/CMB that can only be explained by quantum fluctuations.

The observed CMB cold spot, however, is incompatible with current theory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There wasn't any turbulence before inflation because everything was closely packed together and easily interacted at the speed of light (therby making for extremely high viscosity). There were, however, quantum fluctuations.

There was no turbulence during inflation because such rapid expansion prevented interactions.

After inflation pieces of the universe/CMB that were no longer causally connected were quite similar simply because they had been that way before inflation (when they were causally connected).

Slight non-uniformity in the universe/CMB is a relic of pre-inflation quantum fluctuations (not turbulence).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:48 am

geckzilla wrote:
That's an interesting logo that the Kavli Foundation has. What is that?
My guess is that it is a glorified octahedron
symbolizing the 3 independent dimensions
of study promoted by the Kavli Foundation.
(But I don't really know Jack.)
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:08 am

I knew jack(s) when i was but a lad. Tensies were the hardest with a smaller hand.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 am

neufer wrote: My guess is that it is a glorified octahedron
symbolizing the 3 independent dimensions
of study promoted by the Kavli Foundation.
(But I don't really know Jack.)
I thought it was similar to this logo at first but after looking at this multi-colored version I see it's just a lot of geometry crammed together.

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:13 am

It is an interesting symbol; I suppose, so for the heck of it I just copied and pasted the thing and emailed it to the Kavili Foundation asking them what it’s supposed to be, If they even bother to reply to the question I’ll post their response.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
The questions asked, with time stamps, can be found here:
http://www.kavlifoundation.org/science- ... #questions
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:15 pm

THX1138 wrote:It is an interesting symbol; I suppose, so for the heck of it I just copied and pasted the thing and emailed it to the Kavili Foundation asking them what it’s supposed to be, If they even bother to reply to the question I’ll post their response.
I saw the Kavli Foundation logo again recently and was more successful this time at figuring out what the heck it was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatron%27s_Cube

Pretty odd.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:09 pm

geckzilla wrote:
THX1138 wrote:It is an interesting symbol; I suppose, so for the heck of it I just copied and pasted the thing and emailed it to the Kavili Foundation asking them what it’s supposed to be, If they even bother to reply to the question I’ll post their response.
I saw the Kavli Foundation logo again recently and was more successful this time at figuring out what the heck it was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatron%27s_Cube

Pretty odd.
I never met-a-trons cube that i didn't find interesting