Did Andromeda crash into the Milky Way 10 billion years ago?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
stephen63
Science Officer

Did Andromeda crash into the Milky Way 10 billion years ago?

Post by stephen63 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:05 pm

(Phys.org) —For many years scientists have believed that our Galaxy, the Milky Way, is set to crash into its larger neighbour, the Andromeda Galaxy, in about 3 billion years' time and that this will be the first time such a collision has taken place. But now a European team of astronomers led by Hongsheng Zhao of the University of St Andrews propose a very different idea; that the two star systems collided once before, some 10 billion years ago and that our understanding of gravity is fundamentally wrong.
Most cosmologists believe that across the whole universe, this matter outweighs 'normal' matter by a factor of five. The dark matter in both Andromeda and the Milky Way then makes the gravitational pull between the two galaxies strong enough to overcome the expansion of the cosmos, so that they are now moving towards each other at around 100 km per second, heading for a collision 3 billion years in the future.
But this model is based on the conventional model of gravity devised by Newton and modified by Einstein a century ago, and it struggles to explain some properties of the galaxies we see around us. Dr Zhao and his team argue that at present the only way to successfully predict the total gravitational pull of any galaxy or small galaxy group, before measuring the motion of stars and gas in it, is to make use of a model first proposed by Prof. Mordehai Milgrom of the Weizmann Institute in Israel in 1983.
This modified gravity theory (Modified Newtonian Dynamics or MOND) describes how gravity behaves differently on the largest scales, diverging from the predictions made by Newton and Einstein.
If gravity conforms to the conventional model on the largest scales then taking into account the supposed additional pull of dark matter, the two galaxies would have merged.
In the new model, the Milky Way and Andromeda are still going to crash into each other again in the next few billion years, but it will feel like 'deja vu'. And the team believes that their discovery has profound consequences for our current understanding of the Universe. Pavel Kroupa concludes, "If we are right, the history of the cosmos will have to be rewritten from scratch."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-07-andromeda- ... s.html#jCp
Perhaps the title of the article should read "A Revisionist History of the Universe"? Interesting article to say the least. There are plenty of mergers to apply this new model to. I'd like to see a simulation!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Did Andromeda crash into the Milky Way 10 billion years

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:28 pm

stephen63 wrote:Perhaps the title of the article should read "A Revisionist History of the Universe"? Interesting article to say the least. There are plenty of mergers to apply this new model to. I'd like to see a simulation!
MOND: the failed theory that just keeps failing, but never quite goes away.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
stephen63 wrote:Perhaps the title of the article should read "A Revisionist History of the Universe"? Interesting article to say the least. There are plenty of mergers to apply this new model to. I'd like to see a simulation!
MOND: the failed theory that just keeps failing, but never quite goes away.
Nicely put.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:18 am

Oh, I only had a moment to look at this post earlier. Statements like "our understanding of gravity is fundamentally wrong" aren't mainstream so we avoid these discussions at Asterisk. It's not totally off-the-wall crackpot stuff so I'm just going to lock the thread and leave it here.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.