Beginner Astrophotographer

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
yash_1705
Ensign
AKA: Z3U5

Beginner Astrophotographer

Post by yash_1705 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:46 pm

I have a Nikon D90 . and i fixed a lens of tamron 75-300 mm .
and i tried to take out some shots of stars . of course i make uses of a tripod. well i put the shutter-time on 30s . i don't know why i keep on getting stars trails :?.

can someone help me for the setting please ? :(

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: Beginner Astrophotographer

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 pm

I might suggest taking a series of images that are no longer than say 1/10th second and using a stacker program to combine the images into one for depth. If you image from a Fixed Tripod, a 30S(econd) exposure will give you depth but it will also show trailing since the stars will move over the time the iris is open. Even 30-1Second exposures stacked will give the same depth as a single 30second exposure. Though having the iris open for 1 full second will still slightly elongate the stars. The other solution is to get a motorized tripod that will automatically track the stellar motion so No trails will occur.

yash_1705
Ensign

Post by yash_1705 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Any Other tips ?! Please Do share with me guys :( .
I really need help :s.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:31 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:I might suggest taking a series of images that are no longer than say 1/10th second and using a stacker program to combine the images into one for depth. If you image from a Fixed Tripod, a 30S(econd) exposure will give you depth but it will also show trailing since the stars will move over the time the iris is open. Even 30-1Second exposures stacked will give the same depth as a single 30second exposure. Though having the iris open for 1 full second will still slightly elongate the stars. The other solution is to get a motorized tripod that will automatically track the stellar motion so No trails will occur.
Unfortunately, a stack of 30 1-second exposures will give nowhere near the depth of a single 30-second exposure. Even stacking 30-second exposures will produce largely unsatisfactory results for all but the very brightest deep sky objects.

The quality of an image is determined by the signal to noise ratio, and while stacking images does linearly increase the signal, short exposures are dominated by readout noise, which sums up with each new subexposure stacked. It's the primary source of noise in stacked, short exposure images, and there's no way to eliminate it. That's why nearly all high quality astroimages utilized the longest practical subexposures- 10-20 minutes per image is common (although the high dark current noise of DSLRs usually limits the maximum exposure to about 5 minutes).

It's possible to take simple wide angle sky images (often incorporating landscape as well) with short enough exposures that trailing is minimal. But anything else requires some sort of tracking mount.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

yash_1705
Ensign

Post by yash_1705 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks a lot Chris ! :)