Is the color blue sad?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Is the color blue sad?

Post by Ann » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Art suggested in the "Tethys and Ancient Rings" APOD that a smiling blue smiley is a contradiction in terms since the color blue refers to sadness. But why do you English-speaking people think that it does?

Is the blue sky sad?

Is the world happier when it is "dressed in gray rain"?

Is the sea sad when it is blue?

Is it happier when it is stormy?

Is the baby sad because its eyes are blue?

Is this most likely a sad cat?

Full of stars of spectral class B, are Lupus, Centaurus, Crux and Carina sad constellations?

Is the Pleiades the saddest cluster?

Is the Iris Nebula the saddest nebula?

Is this man blue?
I don't think so!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Is the color blue sad?

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Ann! Just thought I'd let you know; my security system said there was a virus on the link; ( is the sea sad when it is blue)!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Ann wrote:Art suggested in the "Tethys and Ancient Rings" APOD that a smiling blue smiley is a contradiction in terms since the color blue refers to sadness. But why do you English-speaking people think that it does?
We don't. Westerners see the color blue as symbolic of calmness and peace. It is the most popular color. See Color Psychology.

The word blue is synonymous with sadness and depression, but not the actual color.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:
Art suggested in the "Tethys and Ancient Rings" APOD that a smiling blue smiley is a contradiction in terms since the color blue refers to sadness. But why do you English-speaking people think that it does?
We don't. Westerners see the color blue as symbolic of calmness and peace. It is the most popular color. See Color Psychology.

The word blue is synonymous with sadness and depression, but not the actual color.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA25B46F604E61D5E wrote:
<<Blues is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads. The term "the blues" refers to the "blue devils", meaning melancholy and sadness; an early use of the term in this sense is found in George Colman's one-act farce Blue Devils (1798). Though the use of the phrase in African-American music may be older, it has been attested to since 1912, when Hart Wand's "Dallas Blues" became the first copyrighted blues composition. In lyrics the phrase is often used to describe a depressed mood.>>
http://www.uwec.edu/mwood/colman/summaries.html wrote:
George Colman's one-act farce Blue Devils
Debut: 24 April 1798; two performances at Covent Garden, eight at the Haymarket.

<<A farce. Loosely translated from LAnglais (1781), by the French playwright Joseph Patrat. A waiter with no money, James, has been fired for falling in love with Annette, his employer's daughter. James meets a suicidal but wealthy Englishman who thinks at first that James would like to join him in death. But when he learns that James is only broke, the Englishman, Megrim, gives him money. Megrim also misunderstands Annette, thinking she loves him, and her father mistakes Megrim's request for her hand as an offer to relieve him from bankruptcy. James then provides that relief with Megrim's gift. The lovers are happy, the father is out of debt, and Megrim has found, in acts of benevolence, the pleasure he has been seeking to make his life worthwhile.>> :ssmile:
Art Neuendorffer

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:06 pm

I think the sky is blue and it is beautiful and not sad
I think the sea is blue and it is beautiful and not sad
I have blue blue eyes.
I can to be sad, but my eyes it is not sad for the color :)

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Traditionally, blue is also associated with security because the police have worn blue uniforms. I see a lot of police in black lately, though. Maybe black is more easily associated with security, now.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:55 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Traditionally, blue is also associated with security because the police have worn blue uniforms. I see a lot of police in black lately, though. Maybe black is more easily associated with security, now.
http://www.policeone.com/police-products/apparel/undergear/articles/99417-The-psychological-influence-of-the-police-uniform/ wrote:
<<The police uniform is a tradition as old as the field of law enforcement itself In 1829 the first modem police force, the London Metropolitan Police, developed the first standard police apparel. These first police officers, the famous "Bobbies" of London, were issued a dark blue, paramilitary-style uniform.. The color blue was chosen to distinguish the police from the British military who wore red and white uniforms at the time. The first official police force in the United States was established in the city of New York in 1845. Based on the London police, the New York City Police Department adopted the dark blue uniform in 1853, Other cities, such as Philadelphia, Boston, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detroit quickly followed suit by establishing police departments based on the London model, including the adoption of the dark blue, paramilitary-style uniform.

To this day, the majority of police uniforms in. the United States continue to have a paramilitary appearance and are generally of a dark color. Darker colors may have been preferred for their case in cleaning and their ability to help conceal the wearer in tactical situations. Dark colors help cover up stains and keep the officer from being easily spotted by lawbreakers, especially at night.

The Influences of Color

The majority of police uniforms in the United States today are produced in darker colors such as black, blue, brown, green, and grey. Just as with the style of the police uniform, the color of the police uniform has meaning. Psychological tests have found that people associate colors with specific moods. For example, red is generally associated with excitement and stimulation, thus explaining why it is often a color in flashing emergency vehicle lights. These tests have also found that the color blue is associated with feelings of security and comfort, and black is most often associated with power and strength. Studies of both high school and college students in the United States have found that students perceived light colors such as white and yellow as weak, but also good and active, The same students perceived dark colors such as black and brown as strong and passive, but also as bad. These results were not based on cultural influences because they did not vary with the race of the students.

Even people in Europe, Western Asia, Central Africa, and the Middle East had similar perceptions of colors. Across all cultures that have been studied, light colors are consistently associated with goodness and weakness, while dark colors are consistently perceived as strong but evil. On psychological inventories, test subjects rate lighter colors as more pleasant and less dominant. Dark colors on the other hand elicit emotions of anger, hostility, dominance, and aggression.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:20 am

orin stepanek wrote:
Ann wrote:Is the sea sad when it is blue?
Ann! Just thought I'd let you know; my security system said there was a virus on the link; ( is the sea sad when it is blue)!
Thanks for the warning, Orin! I've just run a quick security scan on my computer. However, let me ask the administrators here, should I remove the link?

Ann

P.S. Okay, I changed it. There was something wrong with the "blue sky link" as well.
Color Commentator

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:21 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Blue Eyes
Available on the album Jump Up

Music: Elton John
Lyrics: Gary Osborne

Blue eyes
Baby's got blue eyes
Like a deep blue sea
On a blue blue day
Blue eyes
Baby's got blue eyes
When the morning comes
I'll be far away
And I say
Blue eyes
Holding back the tears
Holding back the pain
Baby's got blue eyes
And she's alone again
Blue eyes
Baby's got blue eyes
Like a clear blue sky
Watching over me
Blue eyes
I love blue eyes
When I'm by her side
Where I long to be
I will see
Blue eyes laughing in the sun
Laughing in the rain
Baby's got blue eyes
And I am home, and I am home again

timpim
Asternaut

Post by timpim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:06 am

I really have to admit that I do associate the color blue with a feeling of sadness and some sort of depressive mood.
I've always admires Yves Klein's paintings (two examples: here and here). They are so deep and even if they're quite simple I could contemplate them for hours!