Malmö Garden Show

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Malmö Garden Show

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Today was Malmö Garden Show. It is being held in Slottsparken, one of the nicest spots here in Malmö.
Photo: Jenny Leyman.
The point of the show is not to show off splendid flower beds. The flower beds in "Slottsträdgården" (the Castle garden) are okay, but not splendid.

No, the idea is to invite various gardeners and "garden designers" and let them design their own little gardens. It's a lot of fun to see the results! :D How about this little garden? A white "gardener statue" is doing the gardening! :D

This was one of my favorites. A yellow "metal-frame" garden sofa is being "invaded" by splendid flowers. Note the sky-blue delphiniums!

It was a really nice event, and I had fun! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Malmö Garden Show

Post by Beyond » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:16 pm

It even has a windmill. Nice touch! :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:26 am

Malmö / Lan Skäne
Garden Show
I like metal-frame garden sofa, too
Yellow and blue flowers not invade the sofa
Flowers adorn the sofa, like a jewel adorning a woman ...

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:29 am

Ann, Sweden should elect you for Minister of foreign affairs! You made me really interestet to travel to Malmö and Sweden in general :yes: :clap: :thumb_up: :ssmile:
Beautiful country! One day when I've enough money, I will go there :ssmile:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 am

Moonlady wrote:Ann, Sweden should elect you for Minister of foreign affairs! You made me really interestet to travel to Malmö and Sweden in general :yes: :clap: :thumb_up: :ssmile:
Beautiful country! One day when I've enough money, I will go there :ssmile:
Thanks, Moonlady! :D

I like to write about things that made me happy.

You've told us you are from Turkey. I'm sure a starry night in Turkey, with a velvety sky full of sparkling stars, would be amazing. Now, though, you live in Germany. I had an amazingly lovely one-day trip to northern Germany in June, 2010. What a lovely landscape! How amazing to see and enjoy these splendid early twentieth century seaside resorts! And how nice and friendly the people are in Germany, although it wasn't easy for some of them to speak English. (And it was even harder for me to speak German!)

Ann
Color Commentator

Stephen
Asternaut

Post by Stephen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46 am

Have today eked out the last remaining bit of space to make a bed on my half-plot. It has previously been part of a blackcurrant bed and part grass path.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Slottiparkfast

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Ann wrote:
Today was Malmö Garden Show. It is being held in Slottsparken, one of the nicest spots here in Malmö. The point of the show is not to show off splendid flower beds. The flower beds in "Slottsträdgården" (the Castle garden) are okay, but not splendid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slartibartfast wrote:
<<Slartibartfast is a Magrathean, and a designer of planets. His favourite part of the job is creating coastlines, the most notable of which are the fjords found on the coast of Norway on planet Earth, for which he won an award. While trapped on prehistoric Earth, Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect see Slartibartfast's signature deep inside a glacier in ancient Norway.

When Earth Mk. II is being made, Slartibartfast is assigned to the continent of Africa. He is unhappy about this because he wants to make more fjords (arguing that they give a continent a baroque feel), and fjords in Africa would be hard for him to explain without natural glacial movement. In any event, the new Earth is not required and, much to Slartibartfast's disgust, its owners suggested that he take a quick skiing holiday on his glaciers before dismantling them.

In Life, the Universe and Everything Slartibartfast has joined the Campaign for Real Time (or CamTim as the volunteers casually refer to it, a reference to CAMRA) which tries to preserve events as they happened before time travelling was invented. He picks up Arthur and Ford from Lord's Cricket Ground with his Starship Bistromath, after which they head out to stop the robots of Krikkit from bringing together the pieces of the Wikkit Gate.

Douglas Adams writes in the notes accompanying the published volume of original radio scripts that he wanted Slartibartfast's name to sound very rude, but still actually be broadcastable. He therefore started with the name "Phartiphukborlz", and changed bits of it until it would be acceptable to the BBC. He came closer to achieving this goal in the following episode, with the double-act Lunkwill and Fook. He adds to this statement in Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion, an analysis by Neil Gaiman. “...One thing I don't think I explained in the script book was that I was also teasing the typist, Geoffrey [Perkins]'s secretary, because ... she'd be typing out this long and extraordinary name which would be quite an effort to type and right at the beginning he says 'My name is not important, and I'm not going to tell you what it is'. I was just being mean to Geoffrey's secretary.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

Wink N Nudge

Re: Slottiparkfast

Post by Wink N Nudge » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:11 pm

neufer wrote: <<Slartibartfast is a Magrathean, and a designer of planets. His favourite part of the job is creating coastlines, the most notable of which are the fjords found on the coast of Norway on planet Earth, for which he won an award.
I love the way Slartibartfast descibes his job - "Used to have endless fun doing all the fiddly bits and fjords… "