What is the streak on this image?

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

What is the streak on this image?

Post by owlice » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:50 am

APOD received the image below from Jürgen Mokross; he writes:
I love to take photos and yet I use a rather old digi-cam (panasonic fz 8). Today the air here in my hometown in Germany is very clear, because it's rather cold outside. The moon is right in front of me - so I thought to take a picture to test the brightness-level of my camera. Just in the moment of fixing the moon a strange line came cross the face of the moon. I'm glad to have taken it on my (only this) picture. First I thought it to be an aircraft, but by watching on PC there are no wings to see.
I don't know what it is and hope someone here might. Thanks!
Click to view larger image
Click to view larger image
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: What is the streak on this image?

Post by Beyond » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 am

Well, boosting my screen magnification to 400% and looking through a 2 1/2 power magnifying glass, to me, it looks like an almost silver orb with a wide dark vertical stripe down the middle, with a trail of smoke behind it, like it just started to enter the atmosphere, or (i almost hate to say it) a UFO that just came into trouble. There's not too much to the smoke trail when you can first detect it in front of the moon. It's thicker closer to the object. I take it that it wasn't going to fast when you saw it, or you wouldn't have had time to take the picture, which i would think leaves out meteors, especially at night.
I have seen an object (with out the smoke trail) just like that before, but i think it was a heck of a lot smaller. It showed up in a picture i took of icicles in the day time, although i didn't notice it until i saw it on my monitor.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:39 am

When I look at it under 400% screen mag. I see what would be a typical Contrail reaction in atmosphere. They start out very condensed near the jet engine source then thicken slightly as the individual trails from four engines merges into two trails. Then as the jet gains distance from the trails, they begin to spread out in the atmosphere. All of these reactions are present in order in the image. So I believe the best possible source would be an airliner passing in front of the moon

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 am

It just looks like a contrail to me. The blip at the start of the contrail is only 8 pixels tall. The photo itself is not exactly crystal clear and there are plenty of JPEG artifacts for that measly 8 pixels to contend with. There isn't a higher resolution image? Then who could possibly say what kind of plane it is. UFO, then.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Sam
Science Officer

Post by Sam » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Definitely a contrail.
"No avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying." -Randall Munroe

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:18 am

I just discovered my computer goes up to 1500x on zoom. Now when i look at the bottom end of the black streak, it looks like a bigger, round, more fuzzier orb, but with one little change. The vertical black stripe in the center is very thin and looks like a ->T<- that's as long as the orb.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.