Text Enhance

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
TNT
Science Officer

Text Enhance

Post by TNT » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Whenever I get on the internet, random words are highlighted in blue and underlined, as if they were links. If I put my cursor over the word, a small window appears that has a random ad, usually a $1000 Walmart gift card. For example, on the APOD site, the word "Sun" is one of those words. On the Asterisk*, the word "science" in the user's rank is another. It drives me crazy. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to get rid of it? I have IE7 by the way.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Text Enhance

Post by bystander » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Sounds like you have been infected by adware. Spybot is a free, effective way of removing adware. I use it in conjunction with McAfee, even though McAfee wanted me to remove it. I just told McAfee to ignore the Spybot directories, and it is quite happy.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Those are "ad bubbles" or some such ludicrous term. Check your browser settings regarding blocking ads.

This page and many others you can Google have more information on the problem.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm

TNT wrote:Whenever I get on the internet, random words are highlighted in blue and underlined, as if they were links. If I put my cursor over the word, a small window appears that has a random ad, usually a $1000 Walmart gift card. For example, on the APOD site, the word "Sun" is one of those words. On the Asterisk*, the word "science" in the user's rank is another. It drives me crazy. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to get rid of it? I have IE7 by the way.
You have some sort of malicious browser addon running. These frequently result from allowing third-party toolbars- Google, Yahoo, and others. Never install browser toolbars! If you have any, try removing them (it can sometimes be difficult). I don't recommend using security software in general, but there are tools you can download which can find and remove these sorts of things on demand (that is, you choose to run them, they don't run all the time in the background). There are some useful tools at Spychecker.com.

IE7 is unsafe. If you are unable to run IE8 or IE9 (because of your OS), I'd suggest Firefox or Chrome, both of which are a lot more resistant to being taken over- and generally easier to fix if you accidentally allow an addon to install.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:02 pm

I was finally able to get rid of those text-enhance links, but not the ways you all provided, although I thank you for helping. I went to the text-enhance website and it had an option to opt out of seeing the links. I clicked it, typed in a captcha, and a message said "you have been opted out of seeing the links. A cookie has been added to stop text-enhance from displaying these links."

Cookies.

Cookies. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I could have just deleted the text-enhance cookie.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:16 pm

TNT wrote:I was finally able to get rid of those text-enhance links, but not the ways you all provided, although I thank you for helping. I went to the text-enhance website and it had an option to opt out of seeing the links. I clicked it, typed in a captcha, and a message said "you have been opted out of seeing the links. A cookie has been added to stop text-enhance from displaying these links."

Cookies.

Cookies. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I could have just deleted the text-enhance cookie.
This approach doesn't mean you aren't being tracked. A better solution is to use an active ad blocker, like Adblock Plus in Firefox (there are options for other browsers, as well, except perhaps for IE... and why would anybody use IE?) That blocks the links before they ever get to your browser, so not only do you not see them, neither do tracking engines.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Haha, I like it... "So yeah we hijacked your browser with some sneaky and malicious code but you can opt out of it if you want. It's still there, doing who knows what, but you can opt out."
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 pm

After reading all this, I am seriously thinking of switching to Google Chrome. :shock:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:30 am

I don't get any of that stuff with my IE9.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Finally found the problem. There was a suspicious program called "I Want This" in my Programs and Features folder made by some company called 215 Apps. Who knows what that is or how it got in there, but I uninstalled that program, and now none of those Text Enhance links appear anymore!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:26 am

One moment to accidentally install... 3 months to get rid of it.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 am

geckzilla wrote:One moment to accidentally install... 3 months to get rid of it.
Honestly, I don't know how it got in there in the first place. I don't download anything I don't trust.
Beyond wrote:I don't get any of that stuff with my IE9.
Actually, I downloaded IE9 just a month ago, and those links appeared even after. That opt-out cookie actually worked for a while until they came back, and I tried opting out again, but it didn't work, even after trying several times. Anyway, I just hope that those links stay away.