The barking cat

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

The barking cat

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 am

For those of you who can't decide whether you want a cat or a dog, this kittie may be the one for you! :D
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
This cat is a smart one. It knows that the bark of a dog is scarier than the meow of a cat. So it has learnt to bark, smart kittie! :D

But that's not all. The cat knows that it is scary when it barks. But it knows, too, that if somebody finds out that the scary dog sounds emanate from a puny cat, the effect will be lost.

The cat knows, too, that humans are hard to fool. Well, sometimes. (Here, Findus, my best friend's cat, ahhhh, I love you! C'mere, boy! Yes, that' right, rub yourself against me. And purr. Purr some more! Yes! And bump your little head against my face as if you wanted to kiss me! Ahhh! Now Findus, would you like your favorite cat food? Slow-cooked beef in a tomato and spinach sauce? For which I have to pay two dollars to get a ridiculously small package of cat food? You want that, do you boy, eh?)

Okay. Sometimes cats know that humans can be fooled. But this cat has got its timing wrong. It knows that humans don't expect it to bark, and it doesn't want to be found out barking (and thus ruining the effects of its bark), but it thinks that humans have really short memories, so that they will forget that the cat ever barked if the cat only starts meowing as soon as it realizes that a human is present! :?

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: The barking cat

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Me thinks there was a dog off camera that the cat was watching! :roll:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:03 pm

That is FUNNY :!: :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:20 am

Ann, i think i may have discovered why the cat started barking. It saw a cute little snake caught in some wires and wanted someone to come help it get unstuck.
Untitled.jpg
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

eleanormars
Ensign

Post by eleanormars » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:24 am

it's definitely a cat watching a dog barking in the distance :D but how cleverly shot by the owner of the cat :D

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Looks more to me like a cat trying to cough up a hair ball out the window. Some breeds do tend to sound barky when they do this.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Beyond wrote:Ann, i think i may have discovered why the cat started barking. It saw a cute little snake caught in some wires and wanted someone to come help it get unstuck.
Untitled.jpg
What a shocking end for such a beautiful reptile

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Like BMAONE23 said, poor snake.

I once held a small boa constrictor, and I wrapped it around my left arm. It was a strangely exhilarating experience. The skin of the snake was smooth and cool, and it squeezed me hard, but not in a painful way. Its eyes were looking at me. It was so clear that this animal was not a mammal, and I didn't have the kinship with it that I would have with a cat or a dog or a horse or a cow or a lynx or a dolphin or a giraffe. This animal was clearly more alien. In a way its eyes were like the eyes of a jackdaw: watchful and somehow cold. And yet, and yet... this snake was not hostile. It wasn't trying to hurt me. It wasn't attacking me. It was aware of me, it knew that I was looking at it, and it tolerated me, and it looked back at me.

The snake and I are both products of the amazing biosphere of the Earth. I felt the way Carl Sagan made me feel when he stood next to an oak and said: The oak and I are close relatives.

And I realized just how exhilarating that is.

Ann
Color Commentator