Astronomy and Fine Art

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Dacio
Asternaut

Astronomy and Fine Art

Post by Dacio » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 am

Hello Everyone,
I've been reading for a while this forum, finally decided to register to share with you.
My name is Dacio and I paint the colors of the cosmos. I'm a painter and a web developer with a passion for sharing astronomy and science.

Here are some of my paintings, you can learn more about my work and download larger versions here: The Cosmos Gallery

Let me know what you think, thanks!
-Dacio

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Astronomy and Fine Art

Post by owlice » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 am

Hello and welcome, Dacio! I'm glad you joined! I well remember your submission of the Antennae Galaxies, and find your work really lovely!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Hello Dacio!

I didn't know you put your so beautiful paintings in a special thread, so i put some besides one of your post (about the Helix Nebula). As i was saying in the other thread, your painting i prefer is the Swann Nebula, which is great!!!
Are they oil paintings?

I liked painting too ("Thatched Cottages at Cordeville" Van Gogh, "Young Girls at the piano" Pierre-Auguste Renoir, "Santorin and the sea in Greece" from a photo in a book, "My sweet rose" or "The soul of the rose" by John William Waterhouse, others), but it is a very long time i didn't tried (almost 10 years!!!).

Painting the colors of the Universe is wonderful, i hope to see many other wonderful paintings like that on your website soon :D

Have a very nice day!

Céline
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

Dacio
Asternaut

Post by Dacio » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:03 pm

owlice wrote:Hello and welcome, Dacio! I'm glad you joined! I well remember your submission of the Antennae Galaxies, and find your work really lovely!
Yes, how nice of you to remember. I recently had the chance to take high resolution pictures of my paintings using a profesional camera, can you spot the difference in quality? I hope you like it better now.
I also follow APOD on Facebook now, the main APOD page should have facebook and twitter buttons.

Dacio
Asternaut

Post by Dacio » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Céline Richard wrote:Are they oil paintings?
I liked painting too ("Thatched Cottages at Cordeville" Van Gogh, "Young Girls at the piano" Pierre-Auguste Renoir, "Santorin and the sea in Greece" from a photo in a book, "My sweet rose" or "The soul of the rose" by John William Waterhouse, others), but it is a very long time i didn't tried (almost 10 years!!!).
Yes, my paintings are oil colors on canvas.
I was just saying on the post of The Helix Nebula, that you might be a psychic hahaha. Now you are mentioning my favorite painters in one sentence!
Indeed I adore Vincent V. and his skies, I love the portraits of the female form by Renoir and Degas, Waterhouse was a master capturing light. I also love Monet and his water landscapes. The textures that those french impressionists came up with have always hypnotized me since I was a child, they have a special place in my heart.

cheers,
-Dacio

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Dacio wrote:Yes, my paintings are oil colors on canvas.
I was just saying on the post of The Helix Nebula, that you might be a psychic hahaha. Now you are mentioning my favorite painters in one sentence!
Indeed I adore Vincent V. and his skies, I love the portraits of the female form by Renoir and Degas, Waterhouse was a master capturing light. I also love Monet and his water landscapes. The textures that those french impressionists came up with have always hypnotized me since I was a child, they have a special place in my heart.
I am not a psychic at all :lol: I am happy you like the same painters than me, it is funny :D
Monet painted so beautiful water lilies, at different time of the day! Otherwise, i like the flowers, sunrises and jungle landscapes of Martin Johnson Heade. This paintor has also a special place in my heart. So i attach just one of his paintings, although it is not related to Astronomy.
Cheers,

Céline

PS: for credits, i have taken the picture here: http://www.nga.gov/kids/heade/heade1000.jpg
Attachments
Painting of Martin Johnson Heade (not related to astro, sorry!)
Painting of Martin Johnson Heade (not related to astro, sorry!)
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child