APOD: The Solstice Moon s Eclipse (2010 Dec 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Solstice Moon s Eclipse (2010 Dec 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:06 am

Image The Solstice Moon s Eclipse

Explanation: A big, bright, beautiful Full Moon slid into planet Earth's shadow early Tuesday morning. Remarkably, the total lunar eclipse coincided with the date of the December Solstice. During the eclipse, the best viewing in North America found the coppery lunar disc high in a cold winter sky, the Moon reddened by light filtering into the Earth's dark central shadow or umbra. The light comes from all the sunsets and sunrises, seen from a lunar perspective around the edges of a silhouetted Earth. Passing closer to the center of the umbra, the Moon's southern hemisphere (left) appears darker in this eclipse image, recorded from Deerlick Astronomy Village, Georgia, USA. The picture is a digital composite, a separate longer exposure added to an eclipse frame to capture the surrounding star field.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: The Solstice Moon's Eclipse (2010 Dec 23)

Post by neufer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:26 am

APOD Robot wrote:Image The Solstice Moon's Eclipse

Passing closer to the center of the umbra, the Moon's southern hemisphere (left) appears darker in this eclipse image, recorded from Deerlick Astronomy Village, Georgia, USA. The picture is a digital composite, a separate longer exposure added to an eclipse frame to capture the surrounding star field.
http://www.deerlickgroup.com/ wrote:
<<The Deerlick Astronomy Village, DAV, is a unique planned community catering to the specific needs of amateur and professional astronomers. DAV is located in the very darkest skies in Sharon Georgia, far away from big city lights but at the same time convenient to many major metropolitan areas in the South Eastern USA.

1) Build a community that encourages individual ownership of land plots for observatories and home sites
2) Support the needs of amateur astronomers by leasing observatory/storage area sites,
3) Establish a large common observation area to support individual member access, as well as to support various public and private events and
4) Establish common sense covenants and rules to protect the site from light pollution, provide for the safely of observing members, and at the same time, provide a location that is both family friendly and educationally significant.>>
Art Neuendorffer

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Re: APOD: The Solstice Moon s Eclipse (2010 Dec 23)

Post by mexhunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:54 am

It is an extraordinary picture of the eclipse.
Greetings
César
I come to learn and to have fun.

wbd
Ensign

Post by wbd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:41 am

mexhunter wrote:It is an extraordinary picture of the eclipse.
Agreed - my compliments to the photographer. :)

When I clicked on the image to view the largest resolution version, I noticed some small dots and an 'x' above and to the right of the centre of the moon.
I would be interested to know what these markings represent.

Cheers,
Rohan

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:57 pm

wbd wrote:I noticed some small dots and an 'x' above and to the right of the centre of the moon.
I don't see the "X" you mention. I do see some dots:
Screen shot 2010-12-23 at 7.55.26 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-12-23 at 7.55.26 AM.png (48.13 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Are these what you see?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

mesaxi
Asternaut

Post by mesaxi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't understand why they wash the starfield out of these pictures. It gives it a very fake and pixelated look around the edges, like someone just put the picture in paint and clicked the background with the fill bucket a few times.

wbd
Ensign

Post by wbd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:17 pm

owlice wrote:Are these what you see?
I'm sure one of those dots is a small cross :lol: - but yes, this is what I am referring to.
Any ideas why they might be there?

phil from yorkshire

Post by phil from yorkshire » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:25 pm

It's a really beautiful picture, but unless I'm mistaken, it looks like you've reproduced the photo rotated clockwise by ninety degrees . . . as a result Tycho and all the other Lunar features are not in their naturally correct positions. Just wondered why you did that? I had a great view of the early stages of the eclipse from here in North Yorkshire, England, early on Tuesday morning, just before the Moon sank below the north-western horizon as daylight came. Thanks for this and all the other great images on APOD, wishing a very Merry Christmas to all !

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 pm

wbd wrote:Any ideas why they might be there?
None whatsoever! Pixel boo-boo, perhaps?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:41 pm

mesaxi wrote:I don't understand why they wash the starfield out of these pictures. It gives it a very fake and pixelated look around the edges, like someone just put the picture in paint and clicked the background with the fill bucket a few times.
Look again; the stars are there.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

WildGuruLarry
Ensign

Post by WildGuruLarry » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:51 pm

wbd wrote:Any ideas why they might be there?
Those look like "hot pixels", or "stuck pixels". I see the exact same pattern sometimes on my digital camera. After a while the sensor starts to degrade, and some photosensor sites get stuck in the "on" position. I'm not exactly sure why they form the star pattern sometimes... might have to do with the Bayer filtering that most colour CCD and CMOS cameras use.

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:26 pm

I spent a very pleasant two hours sitting out in the wilds of my yard from a little after midnight CST to about 2:15 AM CST. With Bandit, my cat, curled up in my lap and my binoculars in hand, I watched my yard grow dark and the stars begin to pop into view as the eclipse progressed. I loved seeing the reddish color develop across the face of the moon.

At about 1:56 AM CST, I saw a shooting star go across under the moon - did anyone else see it?

I didn't stay for the rest of the eclipse cycle because the cold got to me but what a great experience - the rarity of the timing of the eclipse made it an especially special event to witness.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 pm

biddie, someone on the APOD Facebook page reported that his (her?) friends saw a meteor; look here and scroll down to read the comments: http://www.facebook.com/AstronomyPictureOfTheDay

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:50 pm

biddie67 wrote:At about 1:56 AM CST, I saw a shooting star go across under the moon - did anyone else see it?
Anybody more than a few miles away from you would not have seen it in front of the Moon. Anybody more than 50 miles away probably wouldn't have seen it at all, since it would be very low in the sky for them, if not over the horizon completely.

Meteors are generally very local phenomena.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

chrishet@comcast.net

Post by chrishet@comcast.net » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:18 am

Thx all for the comments...there were so many fine images, and videos, of this eclipse it was hard to believe they chose mine.

I didn't notice those bad pixels till I had already sent in my image...I need to check some of my other images...it would be a shame to have a bad sensor after just 8 months! I can easily fix my final image.

As for the rotation, my bad...I connected the camera and forgot to rotate it back into a proper position...blame it on the late hour, the cold, or the wine I had for dinner! lol...

Thx again!
Chris Hetlage

wbd
Ensign

Post by wbd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:26 am

chrishet@comcast.net wrote:I didn't notice those bad pixels till I had already sent in my image...
Ahh, thanks for the confirmation Chris - thought it may have been special indicators of some sort!
chrishet@comcast.net wrote: As for the rotation, my bad...I connected the camera and forgot to rotate it back into a proper position...blame it on the late hour, the cold, or the wine I had for dinner! lol...

Thx again!
Chris Hetlage
Thank you for such a nice pic & Merry Christmas to everyone (here's to more wine :mrgreen: )!

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:45 am

Owlice - thanks for mentioning the meteor comment over on the FB APOD page - I added a comment over there about my sighting. I was disappointed that no one had mentioned it here but it seems that it was more localized than I would have thought.

Chris - I apologize for not mentioning before about how excellent and beautiful your photo is - I was too caught up with describing my own little adventure that night. Congratulations, for sure !!!

That was interesting info about the pixels on the sensors deteriorating - something to keep in mind about the quality of the ccd technology when I finally get to buy a decent camera .....
Last edited by biddie67 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:52 am

owlice wrote:biddie, someone on the APOD Facebook page reported that his (her?) friends saw a meteor; look here and scroll down to read the comments: http://www.facebook.com/AstronomyPictureOfTheDay
Owlice, you forgot to mention to click on "wall" before scrolling down. I almost didn't find it. You have to include 'little' things like that for some of us people :!: :cowboy: YEE-HA!!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:55 am

(grin) beyond - same thing happened to me .....

mr sandman

Post by mr sandman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:02 am

so what was the six white dots and the x looking thing with them?i noticed them aswell ,used 2 line up the different composite images????is it the place we landed there and the moonbuggy is the x thing??
ailens from another galaxy??

it is a pretty pic.if you need ,i can edit those dots out for you in paintshop.

chrishet@comcast.net

Post by chrishet@comcast.net » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:26 am

mr sandman wrote:so what was the six white dots and the x looking thing with them?i noticed them aswell ,used 2 line up the different composite images????is it the place we landed there and the moonbuggy is the x thing??
ailens from another galaxy??

it is a pretty pic.if you need ,i can edit those dots out for you in paintshop.
Thx...I don't think this is where they landed...I saw that place over in an old NASA building at KSC...lol...I can easily remove these with PS...unfortunately I didn't see them before I sent the image to APOD....Thx all again and Merry Christmas!