APOD: Dark Belt Reappearing on Jupiter (2010 Nov 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Dark Belt Reappearing on Jupiter (2010 Nov 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:06 am

Image Dark Belt Reappearing on Jupiter

Explanation: Why are planet-circling clouds disappearing and reappearing on Jupiter? Although the ultimate cause remains unknown, planetary meteorologists are beginning to better understand what is happening. Earlier this year, unexpectedly, Jupiter's dark Southern Equatorial Belt (SEB) disappeared. The changes were first noted by amateurs dedicated to watching Jupiter full time. The South Equatorial Band has been seen to change colors before, although the change has never been recorded in such detail. Detailed professional observations revealed that high-flying light-colored ammonia-based clouds formed over the planet-circling dark belt. Now those light clouds are dissipating, again unveiling the lower dark clouds. Pictured above two weeks ago, far infrared images -- depicted in false-color red -- show a powerful storm system active above the returning dark belt. Continued observations of Jupiter's current cloud opera, and our understanding of it, is sure to continue.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: Dark Belt Reappearing on Jupiter (2010 Nov 29)

Post by bystander » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:54 am

Ammonia?
Well, at least when we get out there, we won't run out of window cleaner!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Though the SEB was gone it seems like the NEB had gotten wider. :!:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Opera

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Art Neuendorffer

Rise22

Post by Rise22 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Must be global warming...

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:03 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Though the SEB was gone it seems like the NEB had gotten wider. :!:
It's a southern hemispheric monsoon.
http://trmm.gsfc.nasa.gov/trmm_rain/Events/trmm_climatology_3B43.html wrote:
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
Monsoon ITCZ rainfall climatology
February vs. August
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter wrote:
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
<<Circulation in Jupiter's atmosphere is markedly different from that in the atmosphere of Earth. The interior of Jupiter is fluid and lacks any solid surface. Therefore, convection may occur throughout the planet's outer molecular envelope. As of 2008, a comprehensive theory of the dynamics of the Jovian atmosphere has not been developed. Any such theory needs to explain the following facts: the existence of narrow stable bands and jets that are symmetric relative to Jupiter's equator, the strong prograde (super-rotating) jet observed at the equator, the difference between zones and belts, and the origin and persistence of large vortices such as the Great Red Spot.

The theories regarding the dynamics of the Jovian atmosphere can be broadly divided into two classes: shallow and deep. The former hold that the observed circulation is largely confined to a thin outer (weather) layer of the planet, which overlays the stable interior. The latter hypothesis postulates that the observed atmospheric flows are only a surface manifestation of deeply rooted circulation in the outer molecular envelope of Jupiter. As both theories have their own successes and failures, many planetary scientists actually think that the true theory will include elements of both models.
Shallow models
The first attempts to explain Jovian atmospheric dynamics date back to the 1960s. They were partly based on terrestrial meteorology, which was well developed at that time. Those shallow models assumed that the jets on Jupiter are driven by small scale turbulence, which is in turn maintained by moist convection in the outer layer of the atmosphere (above the water clouds). The moist convection is a phenomenon related to the condensation and evaporation of water and is one of the major drivers of terrestrial weather. The production of the jets in this model is related to a well-known property of two dimensional turbulence—the so-called inverse cascade, in which small turbulent structures (vortices) merge to form larger ones. The finite size of the planet means that the cascade can not produce structures larger than some characteristic scale, which for Jupiter is called the Rhines scale. Its existence is connected to production of Rossby waves. This process works as follows: when the largest turbulent structures reach a certain size, the energy begins to flow into Rossby waves instead of larger structures, and the inverse cascade stops. Since on the spherical rapidly rotating planet the dispersion relation of the Rossby waves is anisotropic, the Rhines scale in the direction parallel to the equator is larger than in the direction orthogonal to it. The ultimate result of the process described above is production of large scale elongated structures, which are parallel to the equator. The meridional extent of them appears to match the actual width of jets. Therefore in shallow models vortices actually feed the jets and should disappear by merging into them.

While these weather–layer models can successfully explain the existence of a dozen narrow jets, they have serious problems. A glaring failure of the model is the prograde (super-rotating) equatorial jet: with some rare exceptions shallow models produce a strong retrograde (subrotating) jet, contrary to observations. In addition, the jets tend to be unstable and can disappear over time. Shallow models cannot explain how the observed atmospheric flows on Jupiter violate stability criteria. More elaborated multilayer versions of weather–layer models produce more stable circulation, but many problems persist. Meanwhile, the Galileo probe found that the winds on Jupiter extend well below the water clouds at 5–7 bar and do not show any evidence of decay down to 22 bar pressure level, which implies that circulation in the Jovian atmosphere may in fact be deep.
Deep models
The deep model was first proposed by Busse in 1976. His model was based on another well-known feature of fluid mechanics, the Taylor-Proudman theorem. It holds that in any fast-rotating barotropic ideal liquid, the flows are organized in a series of cylinders parallel to the rotational axis. The conditions of the theorem are probably met in the fluid Jovian interior. Therefore the planet's molecular hydrogen mantle may be divided into a number of cylinders, each cylinder having a circulation independent of the others. Those latitudes where the cylinders' outer and inner boundaries intersect with the visible surface of the planet correspond to the jets; the cylinders themselves are observed as zones and belts.

The deep model easily explains the strong prograde jet observed at the equator of Jupiter; the jets it produces are stable and do not obey the 2D stability criterion. However it has major difficulties; it produces a very small number of broad jets, and realistic simulations of 3D flows are not possible as of 2008, meaning that the simplified models used to justify deep circulation may fail to catch important aspects of the fluid dynamics within Jupiter. One model published in 2004 successfully reproduced the Jovian band-jet structure. It assumed that the molecular hydrogen mantle is thinner than in all other models; occupying only the outer 10% of Jupiter's radius. In standard models of the Jovian interior, the mantle comprises the outer 20–30%. The driving of deep circulation is another problem. In fact, the deep flows can be caused both by shallow forces (moist convection, for instance) or by deep planet-wide convection that transports heat out of the Jovian interior. Which of these mechanisms is more important is not clear yet.>>
Last edited by neufer on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art Neuendorffer

RADDAD

Post by RADDAD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:38 pm

I observed this phenomenon about 20 or so years ago. I have it on a video and a still photo. It was before internet and I was between S&T subscriptions so all I could do was wonder what the heck was going on. I had been observing around 20 years at that time and had never seen it before. Now it is being talked of as unique. What should be discussed is how often does this occur.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:45 pm

RADDAD wrote:I observed this phenomenon about 20 or so years ago. I have it on a video and a still photo. It was before internet and I was between S&T subscriptions so all I could do was wonder what the heck was going on. I had been observing around 20 years at that time and had never seen it before. Now it is being talked of as unique. What should be discussed is how often does this occur.
I haven't seen any discussion of the disappearing belt phenomenon as "unique". Quite the contrary; it is regularly observed that this has been seen before. The only thing different this time is that a wealth of instrumented data is now available to study Jupiter, which has never before been the case.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

RADDAD

Post by RADDAD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks, Chris. The 'changes' link in the APOD notes takes you to a "sky is falling" site and that is what caused my comment.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:54 pm

RADDAD wrote:Thanks, Chris. The 'changes' link in the APOD notes takes you to a "sky is falling" site and that is what caused my comment.
Ah. I rarely follow YouTube links.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:17 pm

10 years resolutions that we see today were a theory.
A very beautiful picture.
Greetings
César
I come to learn and to have fun.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm

indication is that the belt darkness is re-emerging from the clouds…
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

montylc2001
Ensign

Post by montylc2001 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:48 pm

RADDAD wrote:I observed this phenomenon about 20 or so years ago. I have it on a video and a still photo. It was before internet and I was between S&T subscriptions so all I could do was wonder what the heck was going on. I had been observing around 20 years at that time and had never seen it before. Now it is being talked of as unique. What should be discussed is how often does this occur.
I also observed this phenomenon in 1988 and have photos.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 pm

RADDAD and montylc2001, if you can digitize the images, it's be cool to have them on the Observation Deck for comparison with the recent disappearance of the belt. Instructions on how to post images are here: http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 29&t=22034

And if you need help or prefer that I post the images for you, please let me know. Thanks!

Owl
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:00 pm

I learnt a new word from this APOD. :) With the image brought up through the "seen to change" link it states "Click to enzeusenate". I guess enzeusenate means enlarge, as a larger version of the image was then brought up. Strangely I did not find a defintion of enzeusenate when I did a simple search! :!:

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:03 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:
I learnt a new word from this APOD. :) With the image brought up through the "seen to change" link it states "Click to enzeusenate". I guess enzeusenate means enlarge, as a larger version of the image was then brought up. Strangely I did not find a defintion of enzeusenate when I did a simple search! :!:
en (L. in) zeus (Jupiter) enate (fr. L. enatus growing outward)

or...

enjeu (F. what is at stake) senate [fr. L. senatus, fr. senex, an old man]
Art Neuendorffer

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

neufer wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:
en (L. in) zeus (Jupiter) enate (fr. L. enatus growing outward)

or...

enjeu (F. what is at stake) senate [fr. L. senatus, fr. senex, an old man]
Thanks neufer. I wonder if there is 'enjovianenate' as a synonym :?: :)

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:03 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I learnt a new word from this APOD. :) With the image brought up through the "seen to change" link it states "Click to enzeusenate". I guess enzeusenate means enlarge, as a larger version of the image was then brought up. Strangely I did not find a defintion of enzeusenate when I did a simple search! :!:
Actually, you learnt it on Bad Astronomy. Phil Plait regularly coins new words to describe enlarging images. They all seem appropriate and humorous.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
I haven't seen any discussion of the disappearing belt phenomenon as "unique". Quite the contrary; it is regularly observed that this has been seen before. The only thing different this time is that a wealth of instrumented data is now available to study Jupiter, which has never before been the case.
The "cloud opera" explanation of this subject APOD more likely refers to the visual aspect of the opera. More important to me is the randomness of the changes. Changes sometimes occur in the north and sometimes in the south and are seldom interconnected. The cloud belt changes do not appear to have any cyclic properties. This recent APOD shows semi-circlar indentations spaced almost equally apart in the middle of the cloud band after the ammonia clouds dissapated revealing the dark band once again.

No one has mentioned or suspected possible celestial collisions. Suppose a collision of a dominated ammonia body struck the SEB in early 2010 and dispersed ammonia hiding the SEB. As it struck the molecular surface it broke-up into three major pieces forming the semi-circlar indents in a deeper frozen surface. The collision was not observed because it happened on the opposite side from our space probe camera positions. The SEB re-appears after the ammonia is dispersed or mixes with the present surface materials. Perhaps Jupiter is dutifully performing its job of sweeping up space trash. And the changing cloud belts and spots on Jupiter reveal these noble deeds.

Douglas Ettinger
Pittsbrugh, PA
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:50 am

dougettinger wrote:No one has mentioned or suspected possible celestial collisions. Suppose a collision of a dominated ammonia body struck the SEB in early 2010 and dispersed ammonia hiding the SEB...
It seems unlikely. We have seen directly the results of collisions with relatively small bodies. They produce very obvious localized disruption of the cloud system, but no widespread effects. I think a collision large enough to disrupt an entire equatorial belt system would have been very obvious. For the last few years Jupiter has been under almost continual observation. Of course, there's a narrow window when it is too close to the Sun to observe, but I'd think there would still be visible effects of a collision once it re-emerged from the light of the Sun.

I'd describe the phenomenon as cyclic, but with no regular period. That is typical of many chaotic systems, and there is little that chaos theory is better at describing than weather patterns, whether on Earth or on Jupiter.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:28 pm

What do you suppose caused the three semi-circles located in the middle of the SEB shown in the APOD ?

Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 pm

dougettinger wrote:What do you suppose caused the three semi-circles located in the middle of the SEB shown in the APOD ?
I don't know that anybody could say what "caused" them. They look to me like the start of vortex motion similar to that seen all along other bands, in storm systems, and often seen in cloud and wind patterns on Earth, as well. That sort of motion is common in dynamic fluidic systems.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
dougettinger wrote:No one has mentioned or suspected possible celestial collisions. Suppose a collision of a dominated ammonia body struck the SEB in early 2010 and dispersed ammonia hiding the SEB...
It seems unlikely. We have seen directly the results of collisions with relatively small bodies. They produce very obvious localized disruption of the cloud system, but no widespread effects. I think a collision large enough to disrupt an entire equatorial belt system would have been very obvious. For the last few years Jupiter has been under almost continual observation. Of course, there's a narrow window when it is too close to the Sun to observe, but I'd think there would still be visible effects of a collision once it re-emerged from the light of the Sun.

I'd describe the phenomenon as cyclic, but with no regular period. That is typical of many chaotic systems, and there is little that chaos theory is better at describing than weather patterns, whether on Earth or on Jupiter.
I understand that the glare of the Sun from certain camera views would hide collisions. But also the camera view from a space probe can only see one hemisphere at any one time, and, hence, collision strikes can be hidden. Is this simple logic correct ?

Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:46 pm

dougettinger wrote:I understand that the glare of the Sun from certain camera views would hide collisions. But also the camera view from a space probe can only see one hemisphere at any one time, and, hence, collision strikes can be hidden. Is this simple logic correct?
Sure. There are no probes currently in orbit around Jupiter, so all our recent images have been obtained from Earth (New Horizons flew by in 2007). Jupiter rotates once every ten hours, so it could take as long as five hours for a farside collision location to rotate into view. Two impacts have been observed which were large enough to alter cloud patterns, and those patterns persisted for weeks or months. Smaller impacts have been observed directly, but which produced no visible changes in the cloud patterns.

It is virtually certain that farside impacts have been missed. It is unlikely that any large impacts (> 1km) have been missed in recent years, however, as we'd expect evidence of them to persist much longer than the farside is blocked.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory