ESO: ISAAC: Looking into the Milky Way’s Heart

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

ESO: ISAAC: Looking into the Milky Way’s Heart

Post by bystander » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Looking into the Milky Way’s Heart — ISAAC observes the Galactic Centre
European Southern Observatory Picture of the Week | 22 Nov 2010
The centre of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, is again in the sights of ESO telescopes. This time it’s the turn of ISAAC, the VLT’s near- and mid-infrared spectrometer and camera.

From Chile’s Atacama Desert, site of the ESO observatories, the Milky Way offers magnificent views, particularly in the southern hemisphere winter, when the central region of our galaxy is most visible (see eso0934). However, the Galactic Centre itself, located about 27 000 light-years away in the constellation of Sagittarius, hides behind thick clouds of interstellar dust, which appear as dark obscuring lanes in visible light, but which are transparent at longer wavelengths such as the infrared. In this image, the infrared observations clearly reveal the dense clustering of stars in the galactic core.

ESO telescopes have been tracking stars orbiting the centre of the Milky Way for more than 18 years, getting the highest resolution images of this area and providing a definitive proof of the existence of a supermassive black hole in the heart of our galaxy (read more in eso0226 and eso0846). Infrared flashes emitted by hot gas falling into the supermassive black hole have also been detected with ESO telescopes (see eso0330).

This representative-colour picture is composed of images taken by ISAAC at near-infrared wavelengths through 2.25, 2.09, and 1.71 µm narrowband filters (shown in red, green and blue respectively). It covers a field of view of 2.5 arcminutes.

Credit: ESO/R. Schoedel
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: ESO: ISAAC: Looking into the Milky Way’s Heart

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 pm

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheGymnast.html wrote:
MR. PITT: Oh, this is very odd.

KRAMER: (looking at picture) Yeah, it's 3-D art. Computers generate 'em. BIG computers.

MR. PITT: Yes, I've heard about these. How do they work?

KRAMER: Well, you blur your eyes like you're starin' straight through the picture. And you keep your eyes unfocused. And then... (Kramer and Pitt stare at picture) Oh, oh, oh, YEAH!

MR. PITT: I don't see it.

KRAMER: Yeah, it's a spaceship, surrounded by planets, asteroids...

MR. PITT: I still don't see it.

ELAINE: Okay, Kramer, that's enough. Mr. Pitt has got work to do.

KRAMER: Ya' ever dream in 3-D? It's like the boogeyman is comin' right at you.

MR. PITT: A spaceship, where?

KRAMER: (pointing) Right in here. Just keep your eyes unfocused. (convulses in pain) Waahh! Oh, mama!

ELAINE: Kramer, what's wrong?

KRAMER: Mama!

ELAINE: Kramer, Kramer, are you okay?

KRAMER: I think I gotta go to the doctor! (exits) Oh, mama!

MR. PITT: (still staring at picture) How long does it usually take?
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:51 am

Bystander, I love your picture. Art, I don't know about yours. It's all YELLOW!

Ann
Color Commentator

Matteo Morino
Ensign

Post by Matteo Morino » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 am

bystander wrote:Looking into the Milky Way’s Heart — ISAAC observes the Galactic Centre
European Southern Observatory Picture of the Week | 22 Nov 2010
The centre of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, is again in the sights of ESO telescopes. This time it’s the turn of ISAAC, the VLT’s near- and mid-infrared spectrometer and camera.

From Chile’s Atacama Desert, site of the ESO observatories, the Milky Way offers magnificent views, particularly in the southern hemisphere winter, when the central region of our galaxy is most visible (see eso0934). However, the Galactic Centre itself, located about 27 000 light-years away in the constellation of Sagittarius, hides behind thick clouds of interstellar dust, which appear as dark obscuring lanes in visible light, but which are transparent at longer wavelengths such as the infrared. In this image, the infrared observations clearly reveal the dense clustering of stars in the galactic core.

ESO telescopes have been tracking stars orbiting the centre of the Milky Way for more than 18 years, getting the highest resolution images of this area and providing a definitive proof of the existence of a supermassive black hole in the heart of our galaxy (read more in eso0226 and eso0846). Infrared flashes emitted by hot gas falling into the supermassive black hole have also been detected with ESO telescopes (see eso0330).

This representative-colour picture is composed of images taken by ISAAC at near-infrared wavelengths through 2.25, 2.09, and 1.71 µm narrowband filters (shown in red, green and blue respectively). It covers a field of view of 2.5 arcminutes.

Credit: ESO/R. Schoedel
Wow! Supermassive black hole :shock:
The universe is very incredible!!

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Hello,
the picture showing the heart of the galaxy is beautiful! :D
Nevetheless, i don't see the black hole. I can see only many stars, while i am looking for a black area :?

Is there a black hole at the heart of all the galaxies? Or is it an inner caracteristic of our galaxy?
Have a very good day,

Céline
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:26 pm

There is thought to be a supermassive black hole at the heart of nearly every galaxy.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:58 pm

That's impressing. Now i don't want to travel to the heart of a galaxy anymore :)
But it is strange we can see stars, instead of a black area. Or, maybe the stars we see in your picture are far away in front of the black hole.
Thank you a lot!
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Since the Black Hole emits no visible light you wouldn't really see it. What you do see is the gradual increase in light of stars nearer the black hole. I believe the brightest area is the central region.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:27 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Since the Black Hole emits no visible light you wouldn't really see it.
What you do see is the gradual increase in light of stars nearer the black hole.
I believe the brightest area is the central region.
Art Neuendorffer

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

It is great Neufer, so funny :D :D :D
Thank you, have a good day,

Céline

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Infrared image from Spitzer Space Telescope.
Galactic center on RGB, humble signed photo.
Greetings
César
I come to learn and to have fun.

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Thank you César, it is beautiful :D

I have found an infrared image of the Orion Nebula, in this website: http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2001/o ... /more.html

I attach it here,
Greetings,

Céline
Attachments
Orion Nebula, taken with infrared
Orion Nebula, taken with infrared

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Courtesy of GOES15 and the GOES SXI website and solar cycle 24 website this image of the sun looks like SOL has a bad attitude today