HiRISE: New Spotlighted Captioned Images (2010 Jul 28)

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: HiRISE: New Spotlighted Captioned Images (2010 Jul 28)

Post by owlice » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:37 am

Once again, a set of captivating and (to me at least) beautiful images. Dark Dunes and (especially) Dust Fans look like art, and I think a good case for Layered Deposits, too.

bystander, thank you for posting these, and all of the HiRISE series! I love these images. I don't know why they strike a chord with me, but they do; I'm so glad I get to see them!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:09 am

My favorite was the Face on Mars (Cydonia). I really like the color contrast. The Dust Fans are cool, especially if you read the explanation.

The Bull's Eye caught my attention, and others, too. On Bad Astronomy, Phil Plait has an interesting analysis of it. There is also an article about it on Universe Today.

National Geographic has a photo gallery that includes the Bull's Eye and the Dust Fans, as well as a shot from Spitzer. They also have a photo of the Gobi Desert that looks like it's a HiRISE picture of Mars.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:59 pm

owlice wrote:Once again, a set of captivating and (to me at least) beautiful images. Dark Dunes and (especially) Dust Fans look like art, and I think a good case for Layered Deposits, too.

bystander, thank you for posting these, and all of the HiRISE series! I love these images. I don't know why they strike a chord with me, but they do; I'm so glad I get to see them!
I agree, Owlice. The three images you mention are beautiful and almost magical.

So the Cydonia image is really the "face on Mars", eh? I wouldn't have guessed. That part of Mars really looked best before those irritating scientists took a high-resolution image of it, didn't it?

And lookee what I found... the things NASA won't tell us, eh?

Ann
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:59 pm

owlice wrote:bystander, thank you for posting these, and all of the HiRISE series! I love these images.
I actually get my updates from HiRISE every Wednesday, but Space Spin has many more links,
even from before I started posting them. They also have some more interesting image links.

HiRISE images
Cassini ISS images
Space Observatories
Mars Odyssey THEMIS images
Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter images (LROC & LOLA)