Flipping or tilting the spin axes of planets

The cosmos at our fingertips.
dougettinger
Curious Querier

Flipping or tilting the spin axes of planets

Post by dougettinger » Thu May 06, 2010 12:17 pm

It has been revealed recently to me that the gravity fields of massive objects passing nearby planets could cause the spin axis to tilt or even flip 180 degrees as in the case of Venus. In the case of Uranus the axis is tilted almost 90 degrees on its side. The spin axes of planets are inherently unstable and perturbing forces can easily affect them according to my new information. At what possible masses and at what possible distances for these near-miss celestial objects would it take to cause the flip and tilt of Venus and Uranus ?

Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Flipping or tilting the spin axes of planets

Post by neufer » Thu May 06, 2010 12:36 pm

dougettinger wrote:It has been revealed recently to me that the gravity fields of massive objects passing nearby planets could cause the spin axis to tilt or even flip 180 degrees as in the case of Venus. In the case of Uranus the axis is tilted almost 90 degrees on its side. The spin axes of planets are inherently unstable and perturbing forces can easily affect them according to my new information. At what possible masses and at what possible distances for these near-miss celestial objects would it take to cause the flip and tilt of Venus and Uranus ?
Venus rotates so slowly that it is hard to imagine that its retrograde rotation was the consequence of a major collision or near collision.

Since Venus almost always presents the same face to earth during Venus inferior conjunctions it seems more likely, perhaps, that once the two were truly sister planets in close proximal orbit with each other and that they then slowly separated dynamically.
Art Neuendorffer

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 pm

I am not sure what Venus presenting it same face during conjunctions with Earth has to do with this topic. This only tells me that Venus is becoming tidally locked to the Sun. Venus and Earth being in close orbits and then separating is a hypothesis that I have not heard about.

Doug Ettinger
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu May 06, 2010 1:34 pm

dougettinger wrote:I am not sure what Venus presenting it same face during conjunctions with Earth has to do with this topic. This only tells me that Venus is becoming tidally locked to the Sun. Venus and Earth being in close orbits and then separating is a hypothesis that I have not heard about.
Venus and Earth currently are too far apart to have any tidal influences on each other.

But Venus and Earth certainly have some curious relationships:

Code: Select all

2922.051 days:  8 Earth revolutions 
2921.109 days: 13 Venus revolutions 
2916.222 days: 12 Venus rotations
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Thu May 06, 2010 1:39 pm

dougettinger wrote:I am not sure what Venus presenting it same face during conjunctions with Earth has to do with this topic. This only tells me that Venus is becoming tidally locked to the Sun. Venus and Earth being in close orbits and then separating is a hypothesis that I have not heard about.

Doug Ettinger

You make it sound like because you haven't heard of it, it couldn't have happened.

We didn't know about gravity until an apple dropped onto Sir Isaac Newtons noggin.

It could have happened, it might have happened but we will never know if it happened for sure.

Paul
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Venus and Earth have a near integral rotation/revolution relationship that suggests a gravitational resonance. But they are too far apart for a true resonance to have formed. So either they were once closer together, or the near resonance is just a coincidence. I lean towards the latter view, but the answer is not known.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu May 06, 2010 2:09 pm

wonderboy wrote: We didn't know about gravity until an apple dropped onto Sir Isaac Newtons noggin.

It could have happened, it might have happened but we will never know if it happened for sure.
----------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gravitational_theory wrote:
<<The Indian astronomer Brahmagupta, in his Brahmasphuta Siddhanta ("The Opening of the Universe"), recognized gravity as a force of attraction. Brahmagupta followed the heliocentric solar system of gravitation, earlier developed by Aryabhata in 499, and understood that there was a force of attraction between the Sun and the Earth. The 11th century Persian astronomer Abu al-Rayhan al-Biruni, in his Ta'rikh al-Hind, later translated into Latin as Indica, commented on their works and wrote that critics refuting Aryabhata's heliocentric system argued:

"People have tried to refute them by saying that, if such were the case, stones and trees would fall from the earth." —Al-Biruni (1030), Ta'rikh al-Hind (Indica)

According to Biruni, Brahmagupta responded to these criticisms with the following argument:

"On the contrary, if that were the case, the earth would not vie in keeping an even and uniform pace with the minutes of heaven, the pranas of the times." —Brahmagupta, in Al-Biruni (1030), Ta'rikh al-Hind (Indica)

The Sanskrit term Brahmagupta used for gravity, gruhtvaakarshan, had roughly the same meaning as "attraction".

Al-Biruni described the Earth's gravitation as:

"The attraction of all things towards the centre of the earth."

In the 11th century, Ibn al-Haytham (Alhacen), a contemporary of Biruni, discussed the theory of attraction between masses. In 1121, Al-Khazini, in The Book of the Balance of Wisdom, claimed that gravity varies with the distance from the centre of the Earth, though he believed that the weight of heavy bodies increased as they moved farther from the centre of the Earth:

"The weight of any heavy body, of known weight at a particular distance from the centre of the world, varies according to the variation of its distance therefrom; so that, as often as it is removed from the centre, it becomes heavier, and when brought nearer to it, is lighter. On this account, the relation of gravity to gravity is as the relation of distance to distance from the centre."

In the 12th century, Hibat Allah Abu'l-Barakat al-Baghdaadi who "tried to explain the acceleration of falling bodies by the accumulation of successive increments of power with successive increments of velocity." According to Shlomo Pines, his work "seems to anticipate in a vague way the fundamental law of classical mechanics, according to which a continually applied force produces acceleration." Later in the 14th century, Jean Buridan and Albert of Saxony refer to Abu'l-Barakat in explaining that the acceleration of a falling body is a result of its increasing impetus.

During the 17th century, Galileo found that, counter to Aristotle's teachings, all objects accelerated equally when falling.

In the late 17th century, as a result of Robert Hooke's suggestion that there is a gravitational force which depends on the inverse square of the distance, Isaac Newton was able to mathematically derive Kepler's three kinematic laws of planetary motion, including the elliptical orbits for the seven known planets:

"I deduced that the forces which keep the planets in their orbs must be reciprocally as the squares of their distances from the centres about which they revolve, and thereby compared the force requisite to keep the moon in her orb with the force of gravity at the surface of the earth and found them to answer pretty nearly." —Isaac Newton, 1666>>
  • ----------------------------------
    ____ King Henry IV, Part i Act 2, Scene 4

FALSTAFF: What doth *GRAVITY* out of his bed at midnight?
    ___ Shall I give him his answer?
    ____ King Henry IV, Part ii Act 1, Scene 2

Lord Chief-Justice: There is not a white hair on your face
    ___ but should have his effect of *GRAVITY*.
    ____ Twelfth Night Act 3, Scene 4

SIR TOBY BELCH: Ay, Biddy, come with me. What, man! 'tis not for
    ___ *GRAVITY* to play at cherry-pit with Satan:
    ____ Romeo and Juliet Act 3, Scene 5

CAPULET: Peace, you mumbling fool!
    ___ Utter your *GRAVITY* o'er a gossip's bowl;
    ___ For here we need it not.
    ____ Julius Caesar Act 2, Scene 1

METELLUS CIMBER: O, let us have him, for his silver hairs
    ___ Will purchase us a good opinion
    ___ And buy men's voices to commend our deeds:
    ___ It shall be said, his judgment ruled our hands;
    ___ Our youths and wildness shall no whit appear,
    ___ But all be buried in his *GRAVITY*.
Art Neuendorffer

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Thu May 06, 2010 2:49 pm

neufer wrote:
Venus and Earth currently are too far apart to have any tidal influences on each other.

But Venus and Earth certainly have some curious relationships:

Code: Select all

2922.051 days:  8 Earth revolutions 
2921.109 days: 13 Venus revolutions 
2916.222 days: 12 Venus rotations
If Venus and Earth were in some tidal locking battle and both have similar masses, why does Earth spin as much as it does ?

Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Thu May 06, 2010 2:55 pm

wonderboy wrote:

Doug Ettinger

You make it sound like because you haven't heard of it, it couldn't have happened.

We didn't know about gravity until an apple dropped onto Sir Isaac Newtons noggin.

Paul
My cell phone always has programmed onto the main screen, "Doug Wonders". Somehow Paul and I are cosmically connected.

Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Thu May 06, 2010 3:09 pm

neufer wrote:
wonderboy wrote: We didn't know about gravity until an apple dropped onto Sir Isaac Newtons noggin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gravitational_theory wrote:
<<The Indian astronomer Brahmagupta, in his Brahmasphuta Siddhanta ("The Opening of the Universe"), recognized gravity as a force of attraction. Brahmagupta followed the heliocentric solar system of gravitation, earlier developed by Aryabhata in 499, and understood that there was a force of attraction between the Sun and the Earth. The 11th century Persian astronomer Abu al-Rayhan al-Biruni, in his Ta'rikh al-Hind, later translated into Latin as Indica, commented on their works and wrote that critics refuting Aryabhata's heliocentric system argued:

"People have tried to refute them by saying that, if such were the case, stones and trees would fall from the earth." —Al-Biruni (1030), Ta'rikh al-Hind (Indica)

According to Biruni, Brahmagupta responded to these criticisms with the following argument:

"On the contrary, if that were the case, the earth would not vie in keeping an even and uniform pace with the minutes of heaven, the pranas of the times." —Brahmagupta, in Al-Biruni (1030), Ta'rikh al-Hind (Indica)

The Sanskrit term Brahmagupta used for gravity, gruhtvaakarshan, had roughly the same meaning as "attraction".

Al-Biruni described the Earth's gravitation as:

"The attraction of all things towards the centre of the earth."

In the 11th century, Ibn al-Haytham (Alhacen), a contemporary of Biruni, discussed the theory of attraction between masses. In 1121, Al-Khazini, in The Book of the Balance of Wisdom, claimed that gravity varies with the distance from the centre of the Earth, though he believed that the weight of heavy bodies increased as they moved farther from the centre of the Earth:

"The weight of any heavy body, of known weight at a particular distance from the centre of the world, varies according to the variation of its distance therefrom; so that, as often as it is removed from the centre, it becomes heavier, and when brought nearer to it, is lighter. On this account, the relation of gravity to gravity is as the relation of distance to distance from the centre."

In the 12th century, Hibat Allah Abu'l-Barakat al-Baghdaadi who "tried to explain the acceleration of falling bodies by the accumulation of successive increments of power with successive increments of velocity." According to Shlomo Pines, his work "seems to anticipate in a vague way the fundamental law of classical mechanics, according to which a continually applied force produces acceleration." Later in the 14th century, Jean Buridan and Albert of Saxony refer to Abu'l-Barakat in explaining that the acceleration of a falling body is a result of its increasing impetus.

During the 17th century, Galileo found that, counter to Aristotle's teachings, all objects accelerated equally when falling.

In the late 17th century, as a result of Robert Hooke's suggestion that there is a gravitational force which depends on the inverse square of the distance, Isaac Newton was able to mathematically derive Kepler's three kinematic laws of planetary motion, including the elliptical orbits for the seven known planets:

"I deduced that the forces which keep the planets in their orbs must be reciprocally as the squares of their distances from the centres about which they revolve, and thereby compared the force requisite to keep the moon in her orb with the force of gravity at the surface of the earth and found them to answer pretty nearly." —Isaac Newton, 1666>>
  • ----------------------------------
    ____ King Henry IV, Part i Act 2, Scene 4

FALSTAFF: What doth *GRAVITY* out of his bed at midnight?
    ___ Shall I give him his answer?
    ____ King Henry IV, Part ii Act 1, Scene 2

Lord Chief-Justice: There is not a white hair on your face
    ___ but should have his effect of *GRAVITY*.
    ____ Twelfth Night Act 3, Scene 4

SIR TOBY BELCH: Ay, Biddy, come with me. What, man! 'tis not for
    ___ *GRAVITY* to play at cherry-pit with Satan:
    ____ Romeo and Juliet Act 3, Scene 5

CAPULET: Peace, you mumbling fool!
    ___ Utter your *GRAVITY* o'er a gossip's bowl;
    ___ For here we need it not.
    ____ Julius Caesar Act 2, Scene 1

METELLUS CIMBER: O, let us have him, for his silver hairs
    ___ Will purchase us a good opinion
    ___ And buy men's voices to commend our deeds:
    ___ It shall be said, his judgment ruled our hands;
    ___ Our youths and wildness shall no whit appear,
    ___ But all be buried in his *GRAVITY*.
Art, you definitely know your history. Your history might possibly prove that I am a re-incarnation of some Indian gravity philosopher. And Wonderboy is a re-incarnation of Shakespeare. This is only a hypothesis. I am not suggesting that this is a theory just yet. Once theories are presented they are difficult to disprove.

Thanks for making my day,
Doug Ettinger
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA