Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Methane Blue Planets

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:15 pm

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002289/ wrote:
The Planetary Society Blog By Emily Lakdawalla
Dec. 31, 2009 | 10:06 PST | 18:06 UTC
Uranus (left) _&_ Neptune (right)
ImageImage
The images for these two color composites were obtained by the same spacecraft through the same sets of filters and processed in the same way, so should accurately represent the relative colors of Uranus and Neptune at the times that Voyager 2 passed by them. Credit: NASA / JPL / Bjorn Jonsson

<<Really, [Uranus & Neptune} are very, very similar. We don't have
one blue-green world and one blue one, as the two are so often depicted.
They're pretty much the same methane blue;
Uranus just had more high haze, making it whiter (not greener) than Neptune.
Now that the Uranian equinox is past and atmospheric circulation is producing storms
I'll bet they'd look even more similar from up close.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Methane Blue Planets

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:26 pm

That's interesting. It also makes Uranus the most aesthetically boring planet in the solar system. I recently came across a BBC article depicting a blue Venus. I thought that was very weird but that blue Venus is also an APOD. Blue is the most commonly favorite color.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:31 pm

geckzilla wrote:... that blue Venus is also an APOD ...
Is this the one you were thinking about? If so, it's a false color uv photo. I always thought of Venus as being kind of yellow.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Nah, it's the exact same picture from that BBC article. Here.

And yeah, when I read the BBC article, I was wondering what was wrong with Neptune's clouds... then I realized that they used that colorized Venus to represent the planet. Apparently it's visible light but they decided using blue would bring out the subtle details better.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:16 pm

While its surface is bland, as a kid the images of Uranus and its delicate, concentric ring system captured my imagination (though the rings are best depicted in art and computer-generated images, as the rings are very faint).

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:57 am

This is kinda neat: "sounds" of Uranus' rings. They are interpreted from EM radiation recorded by Voyager 2.

Here's a nice video about Uranus. Apparently this guy has done many similar videos on the solar system.

ajbock
Asternaut

Post by ajbock » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 pm

I recently saw a news article about a newly analysed pair of stars that each had a planet with a surface temperature greater than the star itself and that these planets had densities similar to styrofoam! Since methane is a "greenhouse gas", is it possible that a gaseous planet, orbiting close to a star and composed almost entirely of Methane and CO2, could accumulate enough energy to "outshine" its parent star in IR?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:49 pm

ajbock wrote:I recently saw a news article about a newly analysed pair of stars that each had a planet with a surface temperature greater than the star itself and that these planets had densities similar to styrofoam! Since methane is a "greenhouse gas", is it possible that a gaseous planet, orbiting close to a star and composed almost entirely of Methane and CO2, could accumulate enough energy to "outshine" its parent star in IR?
Water, CO2, Ozone & Methane are the primary greenhouse gases on Earth but most gases & clouds can provide some sort of greenhouse effect.

We can't observe the liquid/solid surfaces of the gas giant planets, Venus or even Titan and these objects are all warmer the further down one goes in their atmosphere due to the adiabatic contraction of the gases.

Surely the liquid/solid "surface" of Jupiter is much hotter than the gaseous "surface" of the Sun.
Art Neuendorffer