Galactic Capture by Milky Way

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJ Emery
Ensign

Galactic Capture by Milky Way

Post by RJ Emery » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:04 am

At some point in the last few years, I remember reading of evidence that our Milky Way galaxy is currently in the process of capturing and assimilating a satellite galaxy, the task almost completed. Can anyone provide a reference to same?
RJ Emery

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Galactic Capture by Milky Way

Post by bystander » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:29 am

RJ Emery
Ensign

Post by RJ Emery » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:00 am

I believe the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy is the one. Its discovery is more recent, and I do recall the galaxy I have in mind is on the other side of the galactic plane. Thank you for the pointer.
RJ Emery

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Besides the Andromeda galaxy; which is said to he on a collision course with the Milky Way, here are two others that would seem to be well down the road to assimilation with ours. So then exactly how much truth is the statement (When astronomers look into the cosmos they see that every object is moving away from us) etc, etc with emphasis added
(Sometime in the far distant future) The night sky will be dark and the Milky Way will be all that we can see because all of the other galaxies will have moved so far away from us.
I hope I got most of that somewhat close, nonetheless everything is obviously not moving away from us for one, secondly how could the night sky ever be darkened due to distances between galaxies. Its not like photons from any object are going to get tired, ever?

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:13 am

I read somewhere that there are Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy has been orbiting the Milky Way and leaving a faint trail of stars in its elliptical path. This trail of stars intersects our galaxy close to the Sun and some have speculated that the Solar System could even come from this galaxy. But boy some get angry about debunking this. They seem to get less angry about theories that the world's leaders are shape-shifting reptilian aliens from another dimension.