Signal to Noise Ratio

The cosmos at our fingertips.
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Signal to Noise Ratio

Post by rstevenson » Mon May 04, 2009 4:49 pm

The signal to noise ratio of the APOD forum is far too low to be acceptable.

The "booboiserie" are in ascendance, and are drowning out anything resembling a conversation among intelligent people interested in the field of astronomy. Their posts range from bizarre (and long-winded) non-sequiters to low-brow school yard taunts, from just plain dumb remarks to anti-scientific diatribes, from drum beating for pet theories to piling on in what can only be deliberate and repeated attempts to drown out sense and science.

I haven't been here long, and, having lost patience, I won't be here much longer. I fear for the future when a forum like this can be overrun by the stupid, the ignorant, the self-aggrandizing and the devious.

I can only assume there are other places where sensible discussion takes place. Perhaps someone will post a link to such discussions, if only to hasten my departure. But I'll hang on long enough to see what reponse this cry for help elicits.

Rob

PS
Lest there be any confusion, I must thank Chris Peterson in particular for his continued attempts to redress the balance, to correct basic flaws, to remind others of what science really is -- though how he has the patience to keep trying I do not know.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Signal to Noise Ratio

Post by neufer » Mon May 04, 2009 6:38 pm

rstevenson wrote:The signal to noise ratio of the APOD forum is far too low to be acceptable.

The "booboiserie" are in ascendance, and are drowning out anything resembling a conversation among intelligent people interested in the field of astronomy. Their posts range from bizarre (and long-winded) non-sequiters to low-brow school yard taunts, from just plain dumb remarks to anti-scientific diatribes, from drum beating for pet theories to piling on in what can only be deliberate and repeated attempts to drown out sense and science.

I haven't been here long, and, having lost patience, I won't be here much longer. I fear for the future when a forum like this can be overrun by the stupid, the ignorant, the self-aggrandizing and the devious.

I can only assume there are other places where sensible discussion takes place. Perhaps someone will post a link to such discussions, if only to hasten my departure. But I'll hang on long enough to see what reponse this cry for help elicits.
Sorry that you feel that way. Rob.
Perhaps , you could be more selective about whom you read.

The most active astronomy Google's Group seems to be:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.sci.astronomy/topics
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.sci.a ... bout?hl=en

If you find this Group or another Astronomy Discussion Group more stimulating please, at least, report back and let us know.
Art Neuendorffer

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Tue May 05, 2009 6:51 pm

Like I said in my PM to you, R., I eagerly await your first intelligent and informed post.

By the way, as far as I know it's only on this forum you will find the truth about how the universe was created/is being created .. that truth including the almost unknown fact of expanding anti-gravity bubbles. Gravity contracts matter into spheres, right? Than how come the known matter of the universe is 'strung out' into filaments?
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue May 05, 2009 7:20 pm

rstevenson wrote:... to low-brow school yard taunts, ...
An example of which is...
aristarchusinexile wrote:Like I said in my PM to you, R., I eagerly await your first intelligent and informed post.
Rob

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm

neufer wrote:The most active astronomy Google's Group seems to be:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.sci.astronomy/topics
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.sci.a ... bout?hl=en

If you find this Group or another Astronomy Discussion Group more stimulating please, at least, report back and let us know.
Thanks for the links Art. I'm having a look there now.

Rob

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Tue May 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Why? This is the best ever forum i have ever been on,, trust me i,m an ex net Gamer,, these guys range from pussy cats to phd geniuses... I doubt you will find nicer people than here... Rough with the smooth mucker...

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 pm

You may be right Mark. I've had a brief look at the Google Groups astronomy forum. The very first thread I read degenerated into an anti-semitic diatribe. Another ended in incoherent name calling. And I musn't forget to mention the spam, of which APOD is blissfully lacking.

So I think I'll hang out here, despite the problems. Who knows, maybe I can contribute something useful to the discussions someday, if my studies proceed productively.

Rob

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue May 05, 2009 10:26 pm

many people had already left the building for similar reasons. the door is over there. your time is valuable, don't waste it here.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Tue May 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Glad to here it Mucker...this is where its at.....mate...

Mark
Always trying to find the answers