Hubble Trouble

The cosmos at our fingertips.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Hubble Trouble

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Every time I try to download a Hubble release; the site locks up and I can't view the release. Old releases also. I don't have this trouble on any other site. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Yesterday Hubble released a picture called the Fountain of Youth. When I tried to get a large picture of it; I had to end my browsing as the site locked up. :evil: :roll:

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Hubble Trouble

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Every time I try to download a Hubble release; the site locks up and I can't view the release. Old releases also. I don't have this trouble on any other site. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Yesterday Hubble released a picture called the Fountain of Youth. When I tried to get a large picture of it; I had to end my browsing as the site locked up.
There are several official outlets for Hubble images, so I'm not sure where you're having problems. I Googled Hubble and Fountain of Youth and came up with this site, which doesn't give me problems loading any of the available images, including the highest resolutions. Is that where you're trying to get images?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Every time I try to download a Hubble release; the site locks up and I can't view the release. Old releases also. I don't have this trouble on any other site. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Yesterday Hubble released a picture called the Fountain of Youth. When I tried to get a large picture of it; I had to end my browsing as the site locked up.
There are several official outlets for Hubble images, so I'm not sure where you're having problems. I Googled Hubble and Fountain of Youth and came up with this site, which doesn't give me problems loading any of the available images, including the highest resolutions. Is that where you're trying to get images?
Yes Chris; I tried that site. I couldn't even scroll down on that web page. It gave me green bars all across the bottom and just sat there. I even had to log off in order to get off the site. :? I never used to have this problem. I wonder if it has to do with my renewed Norton security?

Orin
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:37 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Yes Chris; I tried that site. I couldn't even scroll down on that web page. It gave me green bars all across the bottom and just sat there. I even had to log off in order to get off the site. :? I never used to have this problem. I wonder if it has to do with my renewed Norton security?
It does sound like something on your system. I don't run any security software on my computers, since the cure is worse than the disease. I've seen a lot of problems caused by Norton, so that could be an issue. Did you try using a different browser?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:56 pm

I do have a shortcut for Hubble's European Homepage for Image Active Wallpapers. I don't have any trouble there; so I don't see why the regular Hubble sites are giving me trouble. I did find the Fountain Of Youth picture there though. I usually browse on Google's toolbar. All other browsers use Google anyway; but I guess I can try Windows live; or Road Runner. I have access to Firefox also.

Orin
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:28 pm

http://heritage.stsci.edu/2009/18/big.html Finally got my photo. 8)

I was able to get on Hubble Heritage Gallery of Images with no problem. I don't know why I'm having trouble with the other sites. Must be my security. I will report it to Norton as it is a safe site. :?
http://heritage.stsci.edu/gallery/galindex.html

Orin
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:21 pm

The Hubble news center is working for me now! I still don't know why I had trouble on that site; but I'm glad the problem is resolved. :D

Orin
Orin

THE PERFESSER
Asternaut

Post by THE PERFESSER » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 pm

HELLLPPP !!
NEWBIE, CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST ...
I WANNA KNOW: ARE FOLKs AWARE OF THE BOOK "BEFORE THE BIG BANG" BY ERNEST STERNGLASS ??
-----THE PERFESSER

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 pm

TURN CAPS LOCK OFF!!
It's annoying and impolite!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzzzz

I wish people used bigger letters.

I'm going blind.

So! caps are impolite. Why?
Harry : Smile and live another day.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:50 pm

harry wrote:I wish people used bigger letters.
Use a larger font size on your display.
harry wrote:So! caps are impolite. Why?
As long as I've been involved with user groups (back in the days of ARPANET), all caps was considered shouting.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:14 pm

bystander wrote:
harry wrote:So! caps are impolite. Why?
As long as I've been involved with user groups (back in the days of ARPANET), all caps was considered shouting.
And from a purely practical standpoint, caps don't "flow". If they did, we wouldn't need lower case letters. Writing that is all in caps is simply difficult to read, and it is impolite to place that burden on your readers.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory