100 Hours of Astronomy Begins (2009 April 2)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
trcmag
Asternaut

100 Hours of Astronomy Begins (2009 April 2)

Post by trcmag » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 am

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090402.html

Ok this photo looks photoshopped.

Why is the space station and Discovery a dashed line.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Re: 100 Hours of Astronomy Begins APOD 4/2/9

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:03 pm

From TWAN site, with emphasis added:

The International Space Station (the brighter trail) and Space Shuttle Discovery cross the sky only some hours after the shuttle detached from the station, for the return trip to home at end of STS-119 mission. This multi-exposure digital stacked image is made of 9 shots each with 10 seconds of exposure. The gaps between the trails are caused by the time between the frames. As noted by the photographer "It was a traffic jam over my private observatory! In a span of only a few minutes, I photographed space shuttle Discovery, the International Space Station, and an airplane passing by." Tamas Ladanyi/ladanyi.csillagaszat.hu

Hope that helps....

*FIXED WORDING OF LINK*
My hands get going faster than my brain some/many times and even though I was thinking one thing, I typed the other, so apologies for any confusion! :oops:
Last edited by Indigo_Sunrise on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Forget the box, just get outside.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: 100 Hours of Astronomy Begins APOD 4/2/9

Post by bystander » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 pm

Indigo_Sunrise wrote:From the imager's web site,
FYI: The World AT Night (TWAN) is not the imager's web site. It is a collection of many amazing photographs taken by different photographers of various locations around the world at night. Check it out, it's a great site. Many APODs have come from TWAN.

BTW: Tamas Ladanyi's web site is here.