Barnard's Loop (2009 Feburary 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Barnard's Loop (2009 Feburary 24)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:08 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090224.html

I take it that the bright area at about 4:00 is the Orion Nebula. I tried to get a bigger picture; but by clicking on the original I just got a picture the same size. I was able to find the horses head however it is quite small. 8)

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Barnard's Loop (2009 Feburary 24)

Post by bystander » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:42 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I take it that the bright area at about 4:00 is the Orion Nebula. I tried to get a bigger picture; but by clicking on the original I just got a picture the same size. I was able to find the horses head however it is quite small. 8)
That would be my guess. See APOD: 2008 April 08 - Southern Orion: From Belt to Witch

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:25 pm

bystander wrote:That would be my guess. See APOD: 2008 April 08 - Southern Orion: From Belt to Witch
Thanks! :P OK I see the Witch over in the upper right corner in today's APOD. 8)

Orin
Orin

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:43 pm

This photo has the widest base for imaginative antics of any apod thus far.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:31 pm

aristarchusinexile wrote:This photo has the widest base for imaginative antics of any apod thus far.
________ Sh** 2-276 eating grin: :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnard%27s_Loop wrote:
<<Barnard's Loop (catalogue designation Sh 2-276) is an emission nebula in the constellation of Orion. It is part of a giant molecular cloud which also contains the bright Horsehead and Orion nebulae. The loop takes the form of a large arc centred approximately on the Orion Nebula. The stars within the Orion Nebula are believed to be responsible for ionizing the loop. The loop extends over about 600 arcminutes as seen from Earth, covering much of Orion. It is well seen in long-exposure photographs, although observers under very dark skies may be able to see it with the naked eye.

It is estimated to lie at a distance of approximately 1600 light years, giving it actual dimensions of about 300 light years across. It is thought to have originated in a supernova explosion. Several known runaway stars may have resulted from the same explosion - AE Aurigae, Mu Columbae and 53 Arietis are thought to have been part of a multiple star system in which one component exploded as a supernova.>>
Art Neuendorffer

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 am

neufer wrote:
aristarchusinexile wrote:This photo has the widest base for imaginative antics of any apod thus far.
________ Sh** 2-276 eating grin: :)
I'm not sure I deciphered your code properly Neuf ..I think we're on the same wavelength :mrgreen: ; but almost anything would apply to that photo, like "Whatever it is it looks angry and I hope I haven't said or done anything to offend it."

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:12 am

Interesting thought:
There was a post a while ago about the mythology of Orion and Scorpius. Something about Orion moving across the sky to be opposite the scorpion to prevent their fighting. Funny how the b/w inverted image in wiki resembles a bow shock as might be expected if the Orion constellation moved in that direction...accross the sky

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:29 am

If the Horsehead Nebula had not been mentioned in the APOD title and the explanation I would not have realised it was there! It just goes to show how small (relatively speaking) astronomical objects can be when they are seen in the context of the area that they appear in. :)

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:27 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Interesting thought:
There was a post a while ago about the mythology of Orion and Scorpius. Something about Orion moving across the sky to be opposite the scorpion to prevent their fighting. Funny how the b/w inverted image in wiki resembles a bow shock as might be expected if the Orion constellation moved in that direction...accross the sky

Ah yes, mythology .. that ancient memory surviving the civilization prior the Flood.

Carmelink
Asternaut

Post by Carmelink » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:58 pm

Another odd shape: to the right of the Flame Nebula, with a big floppy ear hanging down toward the Horsehead, a large profile of Disney's cartoon spaniel, Lady. (Rotate it counterclockwise 90°if it helps.) Arf. :lol:

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:40 pm

And in the dark cloud at top there's a flying pig.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 am

aristarchusinexile wrote:And in the dark cloud at top there's a flying pig.
What's that saying; 'When Pigs Fly'!??? :mrgreen:

Orin
Orin

LeosOndra
Asternaut

Post by LeosOndra » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Contrary to popular belief and its name, the Barnard Loop has been discovered by W. H. Pickering at Harvard already in 1890, that is five years before Barnard (who mentioned Pickering's discovery in his paper). Nice photo is reproduced in book 'Problems in Astrophysics' by Agnes Clerke (London, 1903) with the following caption: "Nebulous Formation in Orion. Photographed, 14th January 1890, by W. H. Pickering". You can see the photo at http://www.leosondra.cz/obrazky/barnard ... ng1890.jpg.

I prepare extended English version of my article on the Ori OB1 association with map of individual feautures. In the meantime you can have a look at the Czech version at

http://www.leosondra.cz/orion/zrozeni-oriona/

Leos Ondra

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:58 pm

LeosOndra wrote:... you can have a look at the Czech version at http://www.leosondra.cz/orion/zrozeni-oriona/
The emission nebulae (emisni mlhoviny shown in red) stand out very well in your diagram. I was surprised by the clear shape.

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:00 pm

LeosOndra wrote:Contrary to popular belief and its name, the Barnard Loop has been discovered by W. H. Pickering at Harvard already in 1890, that is five years before Barnard (who mentioned Pickering's discovery in his paper). Nice photo is reproduced in book 'Problems in Astrophysics' by Agnes Clerke (London, 1903) with the following caption: "Nebulous Formation in Orion. Photographed, 14th January 1890, by W. H. Pickering". You can see the photo at http://www.leosondra.cz/obrazky/barnard ... ng1890.jpg.

I prepare extended English version of my article on the Ori OB1 association with map of individual feautures. In the meantime you can have a look at the Czech version at

http://www.leosondra.cz/orion/zrozeni-oriona/

Leos Ondra
Similar story for Hawking radiation.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Barnard's Loop (2009 February 24)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:44 pm

aristarchusinexile quote. (Similar story for Hawking radiation.)

If black holes evaporate; that almost brings up more questions.

I thought nothing escapes from a black hole; not even light. :?

Evaporation would be escaping. :roll:

where or what is the evaporate? :?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation Is testing this possible? :shock:

Is this recycling? That would be neat! 8)

Orin
Orin