big spark in the sky

The cosmos at our fingertips.
arturo legaspi
Asternaut

big spark in the sky

Post by arturo legaspi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 pm

as i was watching the clear sky in the municipality of cabiao, province of nueva ecija, the Philipppines, at about 6:20 pm, i noticed a big spark in the sky for almost two(2) seconds. i don't know what it is but i am sure, its not within the earth's atmosphere. it is located from my point of view at almost 50 degrees up from ground level and about south 10 degrees west.
to anyone out there, would you please enlighten me of the things/event i saw?
big thanks for accepting me as a new member.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: big spark in the sky

Post by neufer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm

arturo legaspi wrote:as i was watching the clear sky in the municipality of cabiao, province of nueva ecija, the Philipppines, at about 6:20 pm, i noticed a big spark in the sky for almost two(2) seconds. i don't know what it is but i am sure, its not within the earth's atmosphere. it is located from my point of view at almost 50 degrees up from ground level and about south 10 degrees west.
to anyone out there, would you please enlighten me of the things/event i saw?
big thanks for accepting me as a new member.
Hi Arturo,

It could have been either 1) a fireball meteor or 2) an Iridium satellite flare:

<<A fireball is "a meteor brighter than any of the planets" (magnitude -4 or greater).>>

Iridium satellite flare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_flare
Art Neuendorffer

ReallyFUBAR
Asternaut

Re: big spark in the sky

Post by ReallyFUBAR » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:58 am

i dont know your long. and lat @ local time, but you could try a great site i use to look really smart in front of family and friends at night parties!! It tracks and predicts ISS,Iridium flares, and more.
http://www.heavens-above.com/
might have a problem connecting from the Phillipines, the site is in Germany I think.