The Bubble Nebula (APOD 2009 January 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

The Bubble Nebula (APOD 2009 January 24)

Post by neufer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:32 am

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090124.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051107.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061018.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000118.html
Barack Obama gets his BlackBerry
By Mark Silva / Chicago Tribune / January 23, 2009
<<The president wants a BlackBerry, the president gets a BlackBerry. It's important to Obama, who has voiced his own wariness about entering the "bubble" enveloping a president. "He believes that it's a way of keeping in touch with folks, a way of doing it outside of getting stuck in a bubble," Gibbs said.>>
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY
------------------------------------------
Rover (The Prisoner)

<<Rover is a fictional entity from the 1967 British television program The Prisoner, and was an integral part of the way 'prisoners' were kept within the The Village. It was depicted as a floating white ball that could coerce and if necessary disable inhabitants of the Village, primarily Number Six. In one incident it even killed a person, but it is not clear whether the ability to kill was a normal feature of Rover or this was a malfunction. Several aspects of the Rover device were not explained, presumably left to the imagination/speculation of the viewer.

Rover was only named onscreen in one episode, "The Schizoid Man.", but the name appears throughout the scripts. Number Six also once refers to Rover as "The Headmaster". In the novel The Prisoner: Number Two by David McDaniel, based upon the series, the name Guardian was used instead of Rover.

Rover was depicted as a large white inflatable balloon, not quite fully inflated, with a flexible skin. Rover would often produce a muffled roar sound when attacking. It would also sometimes emit a strange light display / luminescence from its interior. Once released, Rover could bounce and glide across the land and sea for a long range and at high speed, faster than say a vehicle or boat.

Rover is apparently a self-aware and/or semi-intelligent being, and could interact with its surroundings, adjusting to and anticipating the actions of Number 6 and other characters. No apparent direct control was ever shown to be exerted over it by the controllers of the Village, other than to release it. It would occasionally be seen outside of its normal environment, sitting placidly in rooms, in Number 2's chair, roaming the streets of The Village, or being studied by unidentified persons in "secret" areas of The Village.

Rover possessed considerable strength, and was able, if necessary, to incapacitate people either by blunt force impacts, or through suffocation by pinning the subject down.

The use of Rover appeared to be both intimidatory and functional. Following encounters in the early episodes, where Rover physically interacts on prisoners, the Number 6 character gradually comes to give up trying to defeat Rover directly, and its mere presence is often enough to achieve its objectives.

Rover could be summoned at the direction of the control room, with a stock scene of its inflation shown before its appearance, although this sequence could also be omitted with Rover appearing spontaneously. It would be inflated beneath the sea, although its first appearance came as being inflated from the Village fountain. No explanation was ever made as to where Rover went after its mission had been completed.>>
Art Neuendorffer

wboyd53tx
Asternaut

The Bubble Nebula

Post by wboyd53tx » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:00 am

Has anyone else noticed that the picture of the Bubble Nebula posted 2009 January 24, strongly resembles a fetus in the womb, reminiscent of the movie 2001? Look at it carefully. The baby in the womb is at the bottom of the bubble. The baby's head is just to the lower left inside the image. Or it could be said there is a small female child aged about 10 years in the bubble also, same location as described above. Isn't that interesting?

kovil
Science Officer

Re: The Bubble Nebula

Post by kovil » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:26 pm

That's a nice idea !

But I'm seeing it as a magnetic monopole that failed in its attempt at a magnetic reconnection.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:47 pm

kovil wrote:I'm seeing it as a magnetic monopole that failed in its attempt at a magnetic reconnection.
Actually, a magnetic monopole can only push away other magnetic monopoles.

This is more like an expanding dipole magnetosphere that pushes away electrical particles everywhere except near the two poles (where it emulates an ineffective magnetic monopole).
A magnetosphere is a highly magnetized region around and possessed by an astronomical object. Earth is surrounded by a magnetosphere, as are the magnetized planets Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Jupiter's moon Ganymede is magnetized, but too weakly to trap solar wind plasma. Mars has patchy surface magnetization
The Magnetic Monster (1953)

<<Working for O.S.I., the Office of Scientific Investigation, A-Man agent Jeffrey Stewart and his partner Dan Forbes are sent to a local hardware store where they find a strong magnetic field has magnetized every metal item in the store. Investigating further, they eventually trace the source of the magnetism to an airborne flight carrying scientist Howard Denker, now dying of radiation poisoning, who has carted on board with him a new radioactive element which he has bombarded with alpha particles for 200 hours. The element, dubbed 'serranium' grows geometrically by creating matter out of energy which it absorbs from metallic objects surrounding it. Stewart calculates that if the substance is not destroyed soon that within 24 hours or so it will have grown large enough to throw Earth out of its orbit.>>

Howard Denker: It's hungry! It has to be fed constantly - or it will reach out its magnetic arm and grab at anything within its reach and kill it. It's monstrous, Stewart, monstrous. It grows bigger and bigger!
Art Neuendorffer

kovil
Science Officer

Post by kovil » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:10 pm

<< Actually, a magnetic monopole can only push away other magnetic monopoles. >>

How repulsive ! LOL

No wonder they never managed to reproduce and fill the universe with offspring,
they all died out in one generation.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:16 pm

wboyd53tx wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the picture of the Bubble Nebula posted 2009 January 24, strongly resembles a fetus in the womb, reminiscent of the movie 2001? Look at it carefully. The baby in the womb is at the bottom of the bubble. The baby's head is just to the lower left inside the image. Or it could be said there is a small female child aged about 10 years in the bubble also, same location as described above. Isn't that interesting?
No doubt the young Druish princess Vespa to "boastful Cassiopeia."
Spaceballs (1987)

Title Card: Once upon a time warp...

in a galaxy very, very, very, very, far away
there lived a ruthless race of beings known as...

Spaceballs. -

Chapter Eleven - The evil leaders of Planet Spaceball,
having foolishly squandered their precious atmosphere,
have devised a secret plan to take every breath of air
away from theyr peace-loving neighbor, Planet Druidia.

Today is Princess Vespa's wedding day.
Unbeknownst to the princess but knownst to us,
danger lurks in the stars above...

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.
Princess Vespa: I am Princess Vespa, daughter of Roland, King of the Druids.

Lone Starr: Oh great. That's all we needed. A Druish princess.

Barf: Funny, she doesn't look Druish.
Art Neuendorffer

kovil
Science Officer

Post by kovil » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Holy separatist solitons, Neuferman !

Our resident topologist can't tell the difference between a doughnut and a coffee mug.
When the wind is southerly.
Attachments
Cas A -'down the barrel'.jpg
Cas A -'down the barrel'.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:16 pm

kovil wrote:Holy separatist solitons, Neuferman !

Our resident topologist can't tell the difference between a doughnut and a coffee mug.
When the wind is southerly.
I give up, kovil; what's the difference?
Art Neuendorffer

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Re: The Bubble Nebula (APOD 2009 January 24)

Post by apodman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:21 pm

kovil
Science Officer

Post by kovil » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:15 am

<< I give up, kovil; what's the difference? >>

Gee, I didn't mean to stump you, Art.

There is no difference between a doughnut and a coffee mug, to a topologist,
they both have only one hole, and as such are identical.
I've remembered that little point of humor since the 60's when topology hit the scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topology
A continuous deformation (homotopy) of a coffee cup into a doughnut (torus) and back.
Similarly, the hairy ball theorem of algebraic topology says that "one cannot comb the hair flat on a hairy ball without creating a cowlick." This fact is immediately convincing to most people, even though they might not recognize the more formal statement of the theorem, that there is no nonvanishing continuous tangent vector field on the sphere.

(what I'm having is a devil of a time with posting a picture on here. How the CasA photo got put up as an 'attachment' I have no idea, I just clicked the add button or whatever it was that appeared, but now when I click Img in the button row it doesn't do anything but add and there's no other boxes to choose to 'browse' or anything else. Ah well, lucky in science, unlucky on the web.)

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:14 am

kovil wrote:I've remembered that little point of humor since the 60's when topology hit the scene.
Möbi topology-humor is that extra career you've always wanted - heck, I've gotten away with science-fiction-rock-'n'-roll. Some follow the trend, some make the trend.

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 pm

apodman wrote:Image

More ...
Apeman .. those holes have four spherical holes each .. and on hole which is a thingamagiggy styled hole .. of course, I could be wrong if a hole has to have a bottom? I wonder what Wikipedia says.

According to Wiki, a hole needs have no bottom. Of course, Wiki is run by people who believe themselves correct when sometimes they're incorrect. Did you know a gentleman locked away in a lunatic asylum in the U.S. contributed hundreds of words to one of the major British dictionaries? This type of thing can lead to problems. Lucifer, for instead, is noted in some dictionaries as satan, and as Venus, the bright and morning star, while in the King James version of the bible notes Jesus as being the bright and morning star. Interesting.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 pm

aristarchusinexile wrote: .. those holes have four spherical holes each .. and on hole which is a thingamagiggy styled hole
. Macbeth > Act IV, scene III

MALCOLM: I grant [apodman] bloody,
. Luxurious, avaricious, false, deceitful,
. Sudden, malicious, smacking of every sin
. That has a name: but there's NO BOTTOM, none,
. In [his "brass knuckle"] voluptuousness.
----------------------------------------
aristarchusinexile wrote:.. of course, I could be wrong if a hole has to have a bottom? I wonder what Wikipedia says.
. Titus Andronicus > Act III, scene I

MARCUS ANDRONICUS: O brother, speak with possibilities,
. And do not break into these deep extremes.

TITUS ANDRONICUS: Is not my sorrow deep, having NO BOTTOM?
. Then be my passions bottomless with them.
aristarchusinexile wrote:According to Wiki, a hole needs have NO BOTTOM. Of course, Wiki is run by people who believe themselves correct when sometimes they're incorrect. Did you know a gentleman locked away in a lunatic asylum in the U.S. contributed hundreds of words to one of the major British dictionaries? This type of thing can lead to problems.
. A Midsummer Night's Dream > Act IV, scene I
BOTTOM: I will get Peter Quince to write a ballad of
. this dream: it shall be called Bottom's Dream,
. because it hath NO BOTTOM; and I will sing it
. in the latter end of a play, before the duke:
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:55 pm

kovil wrote:(what I'm having is a devil of a time with posting a picture on here. How the CasA photo got put up as an 'attachment' I have no idea, I just clicked the add button or whatever it was that appeared, but now when I click Img in the button row it doesn't do anything but add and there's no other boxes to choose to 'browse' or anything else. Ah well, lucky in science, unlucky on the web.)
Down at the bottom of the post a reply page, there is an upload attachment tab.

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Prithee tell me, would an open bottom ended universe's end be bottomless?
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:00 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090124.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061018.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap010123.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_Yang wrote:
ImageImage
<<Fan Yang is a bubble artist. He has earned international acclaim as a result of his complex displays of bubble theater. In addition to performing he has developed his own bubble solution formulas and equipment to create bubbles. Fan Yang has broken bubble-related world records on 14 occasions.>>

Fan's first 11 world records are all unique in the field of bubbles.

* Berlin, Germany, 1992: The largest spherical soap bubble. (2.3 m circumference)
* Pacific Science Center Seattle, Washington, August 11, 1997: The world’s largest bubble wall. (47.4 m lengthwise)
* Hollywood, California, May 5, 1999: The most bubbles inside 9 concentric bubbles, inside each other.
* Paris, France, March 29 2000: The most bubbles inside 11 concentric bubbles inside each other.
* Wavrin, France, April 1, 2000: Passage into a bubble hemisphere. His daughter slid into a bubble hemisphere going through the bubble film without bursting it.
* Helsinki, Finland, October 20, 2001: Record for the most concentric bubbles. (12 domes)
* Stockholm, Sweden November 27, 2001: Record for the most bubble attached on each other in mid air (9).
* Santa Ana, California, April 7, 2004: World record for The Most People Inside A Soap Bubble (8 people)
* New York, U.S., March 18, 2005: Guinness World Record for the most people inside a soap bubble at Toys 'R' Us
* Santa Ana, California, April 12, 2006: Encapsulating 15 pairs of people in their own bubble cubicles for 5 seconds and linking them together to create a "Mega Bubble Cage"
* Madrid, Spain, May 25, 2006: Encapsulating 22 people inside a single soap bubble.
* Chicago, United States, January 30, 2008: Encapsulating 100 people inside a single soap bubble on the Oprah Show.>>
Art Neuendorffer