Light Pollution, A Sky Full Of Mud

The cosmos at our fingertips.
interstellaryeller
Ensign

Light Pollution, A Sky Full Of Mud

Post by interstellaryeller » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 am

Here in Akron Ohio I live a mile north of interstate 76, A block east of 277 and 4 blocks south of 76 again. Where the interchanges are they have elected six 100 ft tall mercury vapor lights, its deeply disappointing. These light have washed out Scorpius and Sagittarius to my south. And make adjusting polar alignment difficult to my north.

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for this reminder to everyone that we need to stay on the backs of our local authorities and planners at all times. If we wait until the offending fixtures are installed, ordered, approved, or even considered, we're too late. Communication with those who don't know any better must be widespread and preemptive. Educate them early and continuously, keep pestering them about projects in the planning stages, and investigate and question the details of their plans. It's a lot of work, but the battle over light pollution is an arm-wrestling match that will extend far into the future, so get used to it.

Jeff, you are withing striking distance of West (by God) Virginia which is folded into several long mountain ridges with deep dark sparsely populated valleys between them. You could "scope" out a spot there for excursions.

interstellaryeller
Ensign

I Do.

Post by interstellaryeller » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:49 pm

apodman wrote:Thanks for this reminder to everyone that we need to stay on the backs of our local authorities and planners at all times. If we wait until the offending fixtures are installed, ordered, approved, or even considered, we're too late. Communication with those who don't know any better must be widespread and preemptive. Educate them early and continuously, keep pestering them about projects in the planning stages, and investigate and question the details of their plans. It's a lot of work, but the battle over light pollution is an arm-wrestling match that will extend far into the future, so get used to it.

Jeff, you are withing striking distance of West (by God) Virginia which is folded into several long mountain ridges with deep dark sparsely populated valleys between them. You could "scope" out a spot there for excursions.
I do, but the price of gas and other of lifes costs have made that a moot destination. I have a spot 20 miles ssw of Clarksburg Wva. in McWhorter Wva.