Where is the correct place to ask about APOD site layout?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
wiredwizard
Asternaut

Where is the correct place to ask about APOD site layout?

Post by wiredwizard » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:49 am

I've been visiting APOD for a few years because I like to view the photos for artistic inspiration. This may seem like a trivial point to serious astronomers, but I'd like to be able to quickly look at a lot of photos. Because the navigation buttons are at the bottom of the page layout, no matter how big a monitor I've got, I have to scroll down to get to them, so moving quickly through a lot of photos is hard.

Is there any chance that someone would consider putting forward and backward navigation bars where they would be reachable without having to use the scroll bar to get to them? Being able to quickly look through all of the amazing photos on the site would really be wonderful.

Thanks,
(and sorry if I posted this in the wrong place - I'm new here)
Anne

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:54 am

"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks MAKC
:wink:
now I have another fvorite to add to my 15 page list :wink:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm a throwback to the days when *all* we had was the keyboard, and I still benefit from keyboard shortcuts. I don't know what works with every browser, but here are two keys I use a lot in IE6:

"Home" key - jump to top of web page

"End" key - jump to bottom of web page

When layout artists insist on putting my favorite links at the tops and bottoms of web pages, I simply use one of these keys and then the mouse for machine-like navigation.

You can also "Tab" from each link to the next and press "Enter" when you get to the link you want. You can place the cursor just prior to the link you want to minimize the number of times necessary to hit "Tab".

We would all like to see webmasters compose pages for better navigation, but I have had more success working around bad layout than trying to persuade someone to improve it.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:33 am

holy snap.... I love that calendar setup! =))))

My god... technology was so primitive back when apod started.... O.o
The old old images look like they are from tacky sci-fi movies with the lowest budgets ever.

wiredwizard
Asternaut

thanks for the help!

Post by wiredwizard » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:13 am

The calendar feature gives me exactly what I was looking for - a way to quickly scan through for images of interest. Keyboard shortcuts are helpful too - I've become a creature of habit with mouse, used to never have hands leave keyboard, but that's become impossible with most user interfaces now.

Thanks for all the replies,
Anne :D

tchansen
Asternaut

Information about the photo in APOD

Post by tchansen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi all,

I have a question and in skimming the topics I didn't see a better place to ask this question.

Is there a way to 'turn on' information about the photograph itself? There are things about each picture that would be great to know - F-stop, shutter speed, film speed (or emulation of such for digital cameras), etc. I love to experiment with my digital camera and it would be great to be able to try some different techniques based on the images displayed here.

Also, I noticed that there isn't a date taken attribute for any of the photos - is there a reason for that?

I'm full of questions; I'll try to limit myself though.

Thanks!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:29 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Thanks MAKC
:wink:
now I have another fvorite to add to my 15 page list :wink:
I used to use that one all the time; but I like this one better. http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html Anyway they both work fine.
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!