Bay Of Rainbows (APOD 08 Feb 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Bay Of Rainbows (APOD 08 Feb 2008)

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:41 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080208.html

I think this is a very nice photo; but I can't see that is has any similarity to rainbows. Anyone have an idea how it got named? :roll: :)
Orin
Last edited by orin stepanek on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:53 pm

No, but I'm venturing a guess that it has to do with its geometry.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

ta152h0
Schooled

moon

Post by ta152h0 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:12 pm

I like this picture, it is now my scream saver....pass the beer, please.
Wolf Kotenberg

marion ballantyne
Ensign

The Bay of Rainbow's

Post by marion ballantyne » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:23 pm

can anyone come up with a reason why the Basaltic Mare's of the moon predominate on the nearside?

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

08 Feb 08 - SINUS "IRIDUM" or "IRIDIUM"

Post by apodman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:55 pm

My memory tells me that all old moon maps said "IRIDUM" - is this the truth, a faulty recollection, or the particular maps they chose to give me as a child?

Now I see both "IRIDUM" and "IRIDIUM" enough places to say that either spelling appears to be currently accepted as common and correct. If there was a change in policy, I didn't get the memo.

Is there an astroLatin scholar out there who can testify to the technical correctness of one or the other? Is there a archaeoCartographer out there who can say when each spelling came into use? I don't want to put any pressure on you.

geonuc
Ensign

Post by geonuc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:29 pm

I've read that it is because the crust is thicker on the far side, allowing less mare volcanism after an impact occurs. Why it is thicker on that side, I'm less sure. The differential crust thickness is a result of tidal forces, particularly when the moon formed.

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

The Rainy Side of the Moon

Post by apodman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:30 pm

The large complex of connected Maria on the second quarter of the moon is dominated by Oceanus Procellarum (Storms) and Mare Imbrium (Rains).

If you can accept these imaginary oceans and seas, surely you can also accept imaginary weather systems in them.

Around the edges of the storms and rains we have Humorum (Moisture), Nubium (Clouds), Vaporum (Vapors), Rainbows (Iridum), Roris (Dew), and probably more.

To see these scenes, you need to be standing on the surface of the moon in a fantasy illustration.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:09 pm

It's also a good name if you wanted to sell real estate :)

Sea front property on the moon... a place to ride your lunar surf board without the danger of preditory moon sharks :)

Strike that...

Sea front property on the moon... over the calmest of seas!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:21 pm

emc wrote:It's also a good name if you wanted to sell real estate :)

Sea front property on the moon... a place to ride your lunar surf board without the danger of preditory moon sharks :)
I guess the name's OK. Just didn't understand the reasoning behind it. apodman gave a good reconing of how it was named. Fantasy; OK. :)
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: 08 Feb 08 - SINUS "IRIDUM" or "IRIDIUM&qu

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:31 pm

apodman wrote:My memory tells me that all old moon maps said "IRIDUM" - is this the truth, a faulty recollection, or the particular maps they chose to give me as a child?

Now I see both "IRIDUM" and "IRIDIUM" enough places to say that either spelling appears to be currently accepted as common and correct. If there was a change in policy, I didn't get the memo.
I see "Iridium" often enough on the Internet, but haven't seen it in any astronomical catalogs or publications. I don't think it has become an accepted form. Purely in terms of the Latin, "Iridium" is simply incorrect. The root word, irid-, forms the genitive plural iridum, never iridium.

That's not to say it couldn't become accepted, although I think it is unlikely. I'm a big fan of eliminating Latin grammar rules from astronomical nomenclature. For instance, I don't normally use the Latin genitive when referring to stars (I prefer "delta Scorpius" to "delta Scorpii"). But in the case of Sinus Iridum, the Latin grammar is largely lost in what is really just a proper name.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:46 pm

Yes, apodman is very insightful! I liked his answer too...

So it is safe to say that science and fantasy are partners at more than one point. Such as during the initial stages of an idea/concept/visualization/map naming/APOD intrepretation.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Moon Imagery

Post by apodman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Not just for the fantasy crowd, the related names and scenes make a handy mnemonic map overlay for observers.

If observation and naming had started in a later age, we'd have a McDonaldland scene superimposed on the lunar map and someone would be asking why this place is named for Mayor McCheese.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:44 pm

emc wrote:It's also a good name if you wanted to sell real estate :)

Strike that...

Sea front property on the moon... over the calmest of seas!
There wouldn't be any predatory sharks on the moon, just the sharks selling real estate! :twisted:
I'll get my coat... :lol:
Regards,
Andy.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:45 pm

LOL....

the smooth areas of the bay are so beautiful... and the Cape towering 3000 meters above the bay below! holy base jump batman. Wonder how long it would take to reach the bottom. =)

And McDonald's will be up there soon enough with Mayor McCheese... too soon in my opinion. Once the corporate hounds are unleashed upon the outer worlds, its all over for fantasy-fantasy land and the wonder of unknown sciences, unless you think Corporate megagiants would want to help with exploration and research and not just the manifest destiny of all these franchise chains waiting to take a bite out of available resources needing to be plundered. =/

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: 08 Feb 08 - SINUS "IRIDUM" or "IRIDIUM&am

Post by neufer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
apodman wrote:My memory tells me that all old moon maps said "IRIDUM" - is this the truth, a faulty recollection, or the particular maps they chose to give me as a child?

I see "Iridium" often enough on the Internet, but haven't seen it in any astronomical catalogs or publications. I don't think it has become an accepted form. Purely in terms of the Latin, "Iridium" is simply incorrect. The root word, irid-, forms the genitive plural iridum, never iridium.

That's not to say it couldn't become accepted, although I think it is unlikely. I'm a big fan of eliminating Latin grammar rules from astronomical nomenclature. For instance, I don't normally use the Latin genitive when referring to stars (I prefer "delta Scorpius" to "delta Scorpii"). But in the case of Sinus Iridum, the Latin grammar is largely lost in what is really just a proper name.
I think the root word is actual iris (like the Greek rainbow goddess) which is actually Greek and/or NEW Latin.
The OLD Latin genitive plural would have been irium = "of rainbows"
but the more proper NEW Latin genitive plural is iridum = "of rainbows" .
http://tinyurl.com/3ax75z

The nearby "Sea of Rains" is probably also New Latin
since if it was OLD Latin it would be: "Mare Imbrum" rather than "Mare Imbrium"
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/imber
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinus_Iridum

In any event, Sinus Iridium is probably a modern mistake
and one should stick to the text books.

Note: The element Iridium is actually NEW Latin for "LITTLE rainbow."
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Arramon wrote:LOL....

the smooth areas of the bay are so beautiful... and the Cape towering 3000 meters above the bay below! holy base jump batman. Wonder how long it would take to reach the bottom. =)

=/
If you were to dome over a crater, and give it atmospheric pressure equal to earth, you could literally fly with arm mounted wings and stay aloft till your arms grew tired. Considering you would weigh between 25 and 40 pounds. A base jump would indeed last a very long time.

I know that on earth the rate of acceleration is 32'ps/ps but what is the rate of acceleration on the Moon? (I would presume it to be 1/6th 5.334 but would terminal velocity also be diminished?)

Harold Busby
Asternaut

Bay Of Rainbows APOD 02/08/2008

Post by Harold Busby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:37 pm

A possible explanation for why the Bay Of Rainbows is so named might lie in what I call The Jura Mountain Necklace. Every month the rising sun illuminates the tips of the Jura Mountain range leaving the slopes of the mountains in the dark. This has the remarkable appearance of a necklace of pearls hanging in the darkness above the Bay of Rainbows. This "string of pearls" has the shape of a rainbow. I got a fair photograph of this which I could E-mail to anyone interested. Contact me at
mnd.busby@verizon.net. Harold Busby.
HD Busby

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:45 pm

That's just funny... freefalling for hours, thinking you're on your way to the bottom, only to see an hour later you're halfway there. =b

Would using your jetpack then be cheating if you used a couple bursts to speed you on your way 'down'? hehehe.... you could break the record for the most flips on a single jump.

And there are plenty of image hosting services online to just upload the photo and post using the given direct url for the image. =)

[img]my%20uploaded%20photo.jpg[/img] ;)

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:14 pm

So then would it be Sea of Little Rain??? =b

Czerno
Ensign

Post by Czerno » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:47 am

neufer wrote: I think the root word is actual iris (like the Greek rainbow goddess) which is actually Greek and/or NEW Latin.
but the more proper NEW Latin genitive plural is iridum = "of rainbows"
Please Neufer, don't quit you domain of competence ! The root is Irid- in Greek or Latin. Lat. nominative Iris (for irid-s, with a regular loss of the dental before the s desinence), gen. Iridis (or, by imitation of the Greek, Iridos) and plur. gen can't be anything but Iridum. "Iridium" or "Irium" would be what my teachers used to call barbarisms. There's no "new latin" or neo-latin versus old latin involved here, just plain old classical Latin morphology !

Regards
Czerno

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:04 am

Arramon wrote:
So then would it be Sea of Little Rain???
Well it certainly is a Sea of very Little Rain.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:09 am

Czerno wrote:
neufer wrote: I think the root word is actual iris (like the Greek rainbow goddess) which is actually Greek and/or NEW Latin.
but the more proper NEW Latin genitive plural is iridum = "of rainbows"
Please Neufer, don't quit you domain of competence ! The root is Irid- in Greek or Latin. Lat. nominative Iris (for irid-s, with a regular loss of the dental before the s desinence), gen. Iridis (or, by imitation of the Greek, Iridos) and plur. gen can't be anything but Iridum. "Iridium" or "Irium" would be what my teachers used to call barbarisms. There's no "new latin" or neo-latin versus old latin involved here, just plain old classical Latin morphology !
Regards
I don't have a domain of competence (; though I did have two years of high school Latin in 1960-1).
But I'm constantly learning to be less incompetent by saying stupid things and having others correct me. :)
Art Neuendorffer

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:38 am

neufer,

So we have noticed. :roll:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

Czerno
Ensign

Post by Czerno » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:15 am

neufer wrote: I don't have a domain of competence (; though I did have two years of high school Latin in 1960-1).
I took some 8 years of Latin, fewer of Greek, back in the 50-60s, I certainly wouldn't call myself a latin litterate ! Over the course of those studies we did learn by rote and recited, by heart, verses and prose alike, and many of those have remained engraved in our memories.
But I'm constantly learning to be less incompetent by saying stupid things and having others correct me. :)
Stupid things are OK as long as they stay on topic ;=)
Off-topic stuff, OTOH, has to be smart... or not to be.

Your Iris reminded me of her (grammatical) cousin, the nymph, Amaryllis, whom we hear Tityrus with his flute teach the forest to "resonate" her name in the beginning of Virgil's Eclogues aka Bucolics (I'm afraid my English is almost as awful as my remnants of Latin) thus...

"... Tu, Tityre, lentus in umbra
"Formosam resonare doces Amaryllida silvas."

Notice the obligatory "Greek" accusative in -a ;=)

--
Czerno

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:39 pm

It is interesting and fun to ponder first hand conditions off of planet earth. And since we need orientation to a some point or set of points for mental security purposes ;>)... For example, our northern hemisphere is "up"... I am wondering... since the same side of the moon always faces earth and the moon orbits around the earth in one moon rotation... which end of the moon is up?
Ed
Casting Art to the Net