Mercury / MESSENGER APOD of 2008 January 16 Updated

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Mercury / MESSENGER APOD of 2008 January 16 Updated

Post by RJN » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Today's APOD has been updated because a much better image of Mercury from MESSENGER became available late yesterday that I was not aware of until this morning. It is rare that an APOD is updated during the day, although it has happened a time or two before.

I apologize to readers who were not initially aware of the change, and to our foreign language site translators for the late change.

- RJN

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Yes, so I noticed, , , lol.
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:08 pm

Excellent! Keep those 'updates' coming!!! :D

I am looking forward to MESSENGER's images. [Almost as much as I look forward to the ones that come from Cassini.]
It's exciting to think that we're on the threshold of some fascinating discoveries and answers about Mercury.

Yay!
Forget the box, just get outside.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm

There is so much iron in it that it reminds me of what might be a core remnant of a gas giant that has had ALL it's atmosphere stripped by solar winds.

rigelan
Science Officer

Post by rigelan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:44 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:There is so much iron in it that it reminds me of what might be a core remnant of a gas giant that has had ALL it's atmosphere stripped by solar winds.
Whoa! What a thought. Never had any thought that that might exist.

Except do we know what minerals are in the center of our four gas giants?

I think there is speculation that metallic hydrogen might be at the center of jupiter.

ta152h0
Schooled

mercury

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:24 am

Mercury seems to be such a perfect sphere, from a distance. I am sure it would be a paine to drive on, even with a four wheel drive. How did it get to be soround ? Slowly solidifying like being annealed as time flows ?
Wolf Kotenberg

ddrrambo
Asternaut

mercury...

Post by ddrrambo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:40 am

isn't it dense because as the planets formed... all the mass was kinda orbiting around the sun... so the heavier elements were closer toward the sun, and so that's why mercury has so much iron.

that's why the first four planets are terrestrial and the other four are gaseous.

maybeh... lol.
fizzix & astr0n0my...

this is koo...

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsde ... age/a+zoom

ddrrambo
Asternaut

oh!

Post by ddrrambo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:43 am

it's my birthday today too!

isn't that special? :idea:
fizzix & astr0n0my...

this is koo...

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsde ... age/a+zoom

chromian
Asternaut

Post by chromian » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:36 am

Is it just me? It seems that there are a substantial number of craters shown in the images that have a raised "mound" in the exact center of the crater. I am not aware of these features in images of lunar craters.
Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Chromian

geonuc
Ensign

Post by geonuc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:46 am

chromian wrote:It seems that there are a substantial number of craters shown in the images that have a raised "mound" in the exact center of the crater. I am not aware of these features in images of lunar craters.
Chromian
Lots of lunar craters show that feature. Take a look at Tycho, for example.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:37 pm

I assume that the image that is brought up through the '35 years ago' link in the explanation to the APOD of January 16 2008 is meant to illustrate Solar Flares. :lol: . The 1970's were so 8). :)

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Here is the image being talked about, , , guess RJN forgot about the courtesy of posting the link in the first post to a new thread. :wink:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080116.html
Is it just me? It seems that there are a substantial number of craters shown in the images that have a raised "mound" in the exact center of the crater. I am not aware of these features in images of lunar craters.
Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Chromian
Check with Chuck Wood of the Lunar Pict of the Day at

http://www.lpod.org/

And, why is the image at LPOD so very much better than the one at APOD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

npsguy
Ensign

Another Mercury pic question

Post by npsguy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 pm

One of the pictures returned yesterday from MESSENGER here: http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/gallery/sci ... age_id=120 seems to have a "chain of craters" all connected (WSW of the bright rayed crater).

I know the moon has such chains as well but not as obvious as this one (to my recollection). Is it thought that this is made up from the same object that had broken into fragments before impacting similar to Comet Shoemaker-Levy on Jupiter?
npsguy

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:09 am

Guess I should have kept my high res monitor, but I see no obvious CS (concise and systematic) types of crater chains. some cohesive splatter patterns possibly.

There are a few CS types of crater chains on Mercury though that I know of.

npsguy
Ensign

Post by npsguy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:20 am

craterchains wrote:Guess I should have kept my high res monitor, but I see no obvious CS (concise and systematic) types of crater chains. some cohesive splatter patterns possibly.

There are a few CS types of crater chains on Mercury though that I know of.

It seems when I now click on the image it is 'upsidedown' from what I saw before (meaning it is now ENE of the crater with the rays).

npsguy

ta152h0
Schooled

keep sending out the imagers.

Post by ta152h0 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:58 pm

the bright crater looks like a double hit. and even maybe a triple hit from the apparent rim geometry. Endless discoveries.
Wolf Kotenberg

iamlucky13
Commander

Re: keep sending out the imagers.

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:32 pm

ta152h0 wrote:the bright crater looks like a double hit. and even maybe a triple hit from the apparent rim geometry. Endless discoveries.
I assume you're referring to the mentioned crater in the upper left with the debris rays? I'd say it's actually just a multi-ring crater rim. In large craters it's common for the displaced material around the rim to collapse in stages, causing the concentric ring appearance.

http://www.geologyrocks.co.uk/tutorials/meteor_craters
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)