Scientists should know grammar.

The cosmos at our fingertips.
saberard
Asternaut

Post by saberard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:31 pm

The author wrote "lays" for "lies"--a common mistake; but accuracy is important across disciplines. :?
Stephen A. Berard, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of World Languages
Wenatchee Valley College
1300 Fifth Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801 USA
509-682-6738
sberard@wvc.edu
http://www.wenval.cc/boreoccidentales/boreo_latin/

cosmo_uk
Science Officer

Post by cosmo_uk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 pm

well done

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Re: Scientists should know grammar.

Post by Andy Wade » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:20 pm

saberard wrote:The author wrote "lays" for "lies"--a common mistake; but accuracy is important across disciplines. :?
Thats a fair point, but if you could show precisely where the mistake was it would make it easier to correct.

A link to the page like this would have been helpful:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070703.html

And I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion. Please remove your email address from your signature or you'll receive more spam than you can cope with. These forums have been plagued in the recent past with malicious posts and the people who perpetrate them are probably still hanging around. Some posts have been designed to lure people into replying direct by email, and the spammer then adds their email address to a spam list.
Regards,
Andy.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:21 am

Andy
A suggestion does not start with "Please remove, , , ". That is obviously a request. :wink:

Then there is the point about spam that you have erroneously tied in with emailings. :?
One must ponder the why in this case.

I say well done also.
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:19 am

craterchains wrote:Andy
A suggestion does not start with "Please remove, , , ". That is obviously a request. :wink:

Then there is the point about spam that you have erroneously tied in with emailings. :?
One must ponder the why in this case.

I say well done also.
Yeah, well I didn't want to tell him to remove his email address as that looked a bit rude when I first wrote it. So I put the word 'Please' at the start of the sentence. :)

And why wouldn't spam be tied in with emails? That's where most of mine comes from. Are you saying there's no connection? :?

http://spam.abuse.net/overview/whatisspam.shtml

You'll be telling me the Web and the Internet are two different things next... :lol:
Regards,
Andy.

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Andy Wade wrote:You'll be telling me the Web and the Internet are two different things next... :lol:
... they are two different things. :lol:
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Andy Wade wrote:And I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion. Please remove your email address from your signature or you'll receive more spam than you can cope with.
Look who's talking, mr. [email address removed, at Andy's request]

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:47 pm

makc wrote:
Andy Wade wrote:And I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion. Please remove your email address from your signature or you'll receive more spam than you can cope with.
Look who's talking, mr.
I don't have it on my signature, and the last time I looked it was hidden on this forum. It may be visible to you as you're a moderator.
I'd appreciate it if you would remove that version from your post please.
Most people are aware that the best way to avoid spam emails is to avoid publishing your email address online, this includes forums. All I was doing was passing on good advice. :)
Regards,
Andy.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Interweb...

Post by Andy Wade » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Qev wrote:
Andy Wade wrote:You'll be telling me the Web and the Internet are two different things next... :lol:
... they are two different things. :lol:
I knew someone would bite... :lol:
Yes they are but common awareness is beginning to confuse the two, which of course originated in completely different ways.
I hear the term 'Interweb' used quite a lot nowadays.
ATEOTD people seem to be starting to use either term to describe both email and web. And I reckon it doesn't matter that much anyway now.
Actually I'm just wondering if the traffic on Usenet is diminishing with the increase in blogging sites and online forums? I guess it might be as it's becoming a bit dated as a communcation tool. I stopped using it about 3 years ago.
Regards,
Andy.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:53 am

Andy, up to this day, there was Image button (Nereid wanned to remove it for some time, and I guess she just did). In your profile should be that "show my e-mail address" option that makes this button appear for everyone to see. I don't think moderator status overrides that setting, though you may be right :?

linx
Ensign

SCIENTISTS SHOULD KNOW GRAMMER

Post by linx » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi,
i believe that the Internet & the Web were developed at different locations, so therefore they must be two different 'things'

the WWW essentially originated from CERN by a guy called Web
the Internet appears to have grown from the USA

Linx

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:48 am

Let's make it clear: the Internet stands for worldwide collection of TCP/IP networks; the Web stands for worldwide collection of HTTP/HTTPS servers. So, the Web is large, but not substantial, subset of the Internet.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:04 pm

I know university level and college level submissions in the 1980’s and 1990’s had strict requirements, grammar and spelling included. A report that had a spelling error or incorrect grammar would be thrown in the trash; a big fat zero would be the result. If posting forums, the WWW and/or Internet from the science perspective is any indication then the science community requirements have gone down the toilet or just an attitude of complacency.
Tic Toc