Photo Of The Day for 156 million myspace users?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
mikek4010
Asternaut

Photo Of The Day for 156 million myspace users?

Post by mikek4010 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Suggestion to the person that uploads the photo of the day:

Is there a way to post a copy of the small photo of the day to a fixed URL with a fixed filename? i.e. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... TheDay.jpg

This way, myself and 156 million other myspace.com users could display this image on our pages, with a link to http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html whenever someone clicks on it.

Just a suggestion to get these awesome images out to the masses!
-Mike

kovil
Science Officer

the trade off

Post by kovil » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:01 pm

I have enjoyed the quietness of this posting board, all good things do come to a 156 million youtube end, eventually !

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:20 am

yep, we have it.

mikek4010
Asternaut

Post by mikek4010 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:59 am

nope, that won't work. MySpace has gone to great lengths to prevent users from pasting potentially malious HTML code into their page. As a result, an HTML page cannot be used as the source for an image tag, as the contents cannot be trusted. IMG tags must reference .jpg, .gif, etc.

The solution is clean and simple: when uploading the image of the day, make a copy that is always called PhotoOfTheDay.jpg and upload it to a fixed URL.

Any one of the 157 million myspace pages could then reference this URL and have a different image appear each day without the need to log in and change the URL. eg. img src= http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... TheDay.jpg

[note: your jscript solution is also not an option as you cannot create that activex control in a myspace page. step out of the forest, and see the simple solution :wink: ]

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:35 am

if it's so simple how come you can't implement it?
and. get off myspace, get yourself normal hosting.

p.s. can you use tinyurl in image tag source?

mikek4010
Asternaut

Post by mikek4010 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:56 pm

For the person that uploads the daily photo, it's a simple thing.

Re: myspace, I also have normal hosting, but that doesn't change the fact that 158 million people use myspace. Any simple change (for the person that uploads the photo!) that results in promoting these photos, is a good thing (especially for those seeking public funding)

p.s. tinyurl is a well known way to hide malicious code, so no, it does not work on myspace.

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:35 pm

mikek4010 wrote:For the person that uploads the daily photo, it's a simple thing.
that won't be me, baby.
...I also have normal hosting...
so why don't you put there some php script like:

Code: Select all

<?php
header("Content-type: image/jpeg;");
readfile("http://www.astronet.ru/db/apod/last_apod_image.html");
?>
and then .htaccess file like

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^image.jpg$ image.php
and point 158M myspace users to image.jpg on your server?
...results in promoting these photos, is a good thing...
get a dictionary, look up the word, "hotlinking". many people out there will be glad to explain how hotlinking is NOT a good thing.

mikek4010
Asternaut

Post by mikek4010 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:00 pm

I just don't get it -- why would you want someone to jump thru hoops to see these photos? no, I'm not hosting anything on my server.

Can we hear from the person who uploads the daily photo as to why it's a big deal to simply copy the daily photo to a fixed filename and upload to a fixed URL?

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 am

mikek4010 wrote:Can we hear from the person who uploads the daily photo as to why it's a big deal to simply copy the daily photo to a fixed filename and upload to a fixed URL?
Don't think so buddy. Gods have not visited this place for monthes (if not for years).

What you want is a free lunch. and we all know that there is no such thing.