Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Where am I?

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Gee Ann, now you're swording at us. Hoping we'll get the point? :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:53 pm

I can't make you get it!!!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Ann wrote:
I can't make you get it!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gacrux wrote:
<<Gamma Crucis (γ Cru, γ Crucis), often called Gacrux, is the nearest red giant star to the Sun. The distance to Gacrux has been determined using parallax measurements made during the Hipparcos mission, which yielded a value of 88.6 light-years (27.2 parsecs) away from Earth. With an apparent visual magnitude of +1.63, this is the third-brightest star in the southern circumpolar constellation of Crux, the Southern Cross, and one of the brightest stars in the night sky. Among Portuguese-speaking peoples it is also named "Rubídea" (or Ruby-like), in reference to its color. A line from the two "Pointers", Alpha Centauri through Beta Centauri, leads to within a few degrees of this star.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:10 am

Yes!!! I am Gacrux!
Jim Kaler wrote:
Gacrux is (with Shaula) the 24th brightest star in the sky. For a star of its brilliance, however, it has not received much individual attention, probably again because it is not observable throughout much of the world where we find most of the telescopes.
See? I told you I'm not famous.
Jim Kaler wrote:
And a pity too, as it is rather unusual among naked-eye stars. Most of the brighter stars in the sky are white class A or blue class B dwarfs, or even orange giants. Gacrux, however, is a cool red class M (M 3.5) giant star
I told you I'm not like Aldebaran and Arcturus! They are K-type giants, but I'm an M-type one.
From its rather nearby distance of 88 light years
Nearby is the word! None of the other M-type giants are closer.
Jim Kaler wrote:
With a mass perhaps three times solar or less, it may well have given up not just hydrogen fusion in its core (which it must do to become a giant in the first place), but may also have gone through its core helium-fusion stage. If that is the case, Gacrux is in the process of becoming a "second-ascent" giant, one brightening into the ethereal realm of the giant stars for the second time, a speculation reinforced by its variability.
I don't fuse hydrogen in my core, and I don't even fuse helium in my core! I'm either on the red giant branch, or else I'm poised to jump onto the asymtotic giant branch!

And in case you don't know: Stars on the main sequence fuse hydrogen in their cores. On the red giant branch, their cores don't do any fusion and instead the cores shrink, releasing energy and making the outer parts of the stars swell. On the horizontal branch, their cores fuse helium, and the stars become stable again. When they have used up the helium in their cores, their cores shrink once again, the stars swell once again, and at the same time they become increasingly unstable. That is because they fuse hydrogen and helium in shells around their cores. But their shell-burning switches on and off in a way that make the stars pulsate, until they cast off their outer atmospheres on their way to becoming white dwarfs.

You may read this page if you want to know mare about stellar evolution, even though it sounds slightly childish at times (which is something I never do, of course!).

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:41 am

You are Gacrux?? No wonder you've had a mild winter, you throw off a lot of heat. You're hot stuff :!: :mrgreen:

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Ann wrote:
Yes!!! I am Gacrux!

...You may read this page if you want to know mare about stellar evolution, even though
it sounds slightly childish at times (which is something I never do, of course!).
And yet you're always underfoot.

Gacrux: a red ping pong ball about 200 km away.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 17#p220717
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:05 am

Time for the next puzzle! :D

This time I have a quality that Ann likes (you may guess which one).

Like Gacrux, I am the closest of my kind!

There is an ever so slight (note: ever so slight) French touch to me!

I'm eight years old, going on nine. On the other hand, my true age is likely more than 600 million years.

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Ann wrote:

I'm eight years old, going on nine. On the other hand, my true age is likely more than 600 million years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_2005gj wrote:
<<SN 2005gj was a supernova located approximately 864 million light years (265 million parsecs) away from Earth. It was discovered on September 29, 2005, by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the Nearby Supernova Factory. 2005gj was noted because it had qualities of both type Ia and type IIn supernovae, and because hydrogen emission lines were found in its spectrum. These hydrogen lines, which were found on the spectrum at redshift z=0.0613, are thought to be indicative of interactions with a circumstellar medium (CSM; a donut-shaped, nebula-like ring of matter around a star) by the supernova's ejected matter or white dwarf progenitor. Such emission lines are extremely rare in Type Ia supernovae – only one other Type Ia, SN 2002ic, has been observed to exhibit the same properties. However, 2005jg's CSM interaction was much stronger and more clearly observed than 2002ic's. The mass-loss history 2005gj's hydrogen lines suggest has been cited as evidence that Luminous Blue Variable (LBV) hypergiants can be progenitors of thermonuclear supernovae.

2005gj was also noted for its overluminosity. With a light curve that maximised 14–47 days after the initial observation, it was three times more luminous than SN 1991T (which was, at the time of its 1991 discovery, the brightest Ia supernova on record), 1.5 times more luminous than SN 2002ic, and close to 100 times more luminous than previously thought possible. Scientists Denis Leahy and Rachid Ouyed from the University of Calgary contend that the incidence of a quark nova, a very luminous process involving the degeneration of neutrons into their constituent quarks, could explain the unusual magnitude of the luminosity.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Because of the 'young and old' clue, i kinda thought it was some type of nova, but that's as far as i got, till Art jumped in and Artificerized it. :yes:

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Beyond wrote:
Because of the 'young and old' clue, i kinda thought it was some type of nova,
but that's as far as i got, till Art jumped in and Artificerized it. :yes:
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:24 pm

neufer wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Because of the 'young and old' clue, i kinda thought it was some type of nova,
but that's as far as i got, till Art jumped in and Artificerized it. :yes:
Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who is Ann in great Art's hall?

But Art, thanks for calling attention to that fantastic supernova, SN 2005gj! What an amazing blast! Really, that supernova deserves to be its own solution to the "Where am I?" puzzle!

So once again, thanks for that supernova info!!! But alas, SN 2005gj is not the answer to this puzzle.

But you got one thing absolutely right - 2005!!! Yes indeed, that is why the object that is the answer to this puzzle is eight years old, going on nine! It was discovered in 2005!

But it is a good thing that the object that I'm asking about is not a supernova.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-Earth_supernova wrote:
A near-Earth supernova is an explosion resulting from the death of a star that occurs close enough to the Earth (roughly less than 100 light-years away) to have noticeable effects on its biosphere.
And the object I'm asking about is indeed closer to us than 100 light-years! If it had been a supernova, it could have fried us, or at least given our dear old atmosphere a whammy.

But "my object" is harmless! (And sorta nice looking...)

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Ann wrote:
Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who is Ann in great Art's hall?

But Art, thanks for calling attention to that fantastic supernova, SN 2005gj! What an amazing blast! Really, that supernova deserves to be its own solution to the "Where am I?" puzzle!

So once again, thanks for that supernova info!!! But alas, SN 2005gj is not the answer to this puzzle.

But you got one thing absolutely right - 2005!!! Yes indeed, that is why the object that is the answer to this puzzle is eight years old, going on nine! It was discovered in 2005!
Math is my specialty :arrow:
Ann wrote:
But it is a good thing that the object that I'm asking about is not a supernova.

And the object I'm asking about is indeed closer to us than 100 light-years! If it had been a supernova, it could have fried us, or at least given our dear old atmosphere a whammy.

But "my object" is harmless! (And sorta nice looking...)
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Well, regarding your "where are you puzzle", Ann, I've bit the dust of the dirt that neufer's older than. :chomp:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Yes, Professor Calculus is (or was) quite good-looking - and you are too, I'm sure! (Sorry I couldn't find you in your Professor Calculus guise...)

Well, back to my puzzle! Cinderella was lucky that she wasn't at that place when she dropped her glass slipper - she would never have gotten it back!!! There is a very mean east wind there and the kind of hailstorm you wouldn't believe! (But the grains of hail aren't large, about 10−2 to 10−1 μm.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:27 am

Ooops! No more guesses? So it's time for a few more clues.

Like I said, if Cinderella had dropped her glass slipper in this place, she would never have found it again. It would have melted, shattered, and joined gazillions of other glass fragments blowing sideways in this place in its mean east wind!

And if Cinderella had gone to the prince's ball here, she would hardly have had to do any dancing of her own. This place alone would have whirled her around with a vengeance!

And maybe Cinderella felt herself grow hot when she looked into the eyes of her prince? Well, this place would make her plenty hot enough, even if her prince went missing.

And Cinderella wore white, didn't she? Well, if she had worn blue, she would have blended in with the surroundings.

And Cinderella may have wished upon a star, but this place isn't a star!

Okay, now it's time for you to start guessing!

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:55 am

The Blue exoplanet HD 189733 A b, a hot Jupiter on a 2 day orbit, discovered in 2005?
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 am

YESSS!!!!

Congrats!!! Have a blue flower, Bruce, you deserve it!

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:14 am

I was totally stumped untill reading "this place isn't a star."
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:41 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:I was totally stumped untill reading "this place isn't a star."
I know, but consider the clues:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_189733_b wrote:
Being the closest transiting hot Jupiter to Earth
The planet was discovered orbiting the star HD 189733 A on October 5, 2005, when astronomers in France observed the planet transiting across the face of the star.
On the other hand, my true age is likely more than 600 million years.
Parent star Age: >0.6 Gyr
And the object I'm asking about is indeed closer to us than 100 light-years!
HD 189733 b, more formally HD 189733 Ab,[citation needed] is an extrasolar planet approximately 63 light-years away from the Solar System in the constellation of Vulpecula, the Fox.
Vulpecula, the Fox... I was about to call HD 189733b a foxy lady, but I never got around to it.
There is a very mean east wind there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_189733_ ... the_planet wrote:
Assuming the planet is tidally locked with its star, this suggests that powerful easterly winds moving at more than 2,700 metres per second (9,700 km/h) are responsible for redistributing the heat.
Like I said, if Cinderella had dropped her glass slipper in this place, she would never have found it again. It would have melted, shattered, and joined gazillions of other glass fragments blowing sideways in this place in its mean east wind!
http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2013/07/ ... hot-glass/ wrote:
Howling winds of 4,350 mph (7000 km/hr) fling fine particles of searing glass sideways through the fiery air.
And if Cinderella had gone to the prince's ball here, she would hardly have had to do any dancing of her own. This place alone would have whirled her around with a vengeance!
HD 189733 b orbits its host star once every 2.2 days at an orbital speed of 152.5 kilometres per second (341,000 mph)
And maybe Cinderella felt herself grow hot when she looked into the eyes of her prince? Well, this place would make her plenty hot enough, even if her prince went missing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_189733_b#Visible_colour wrote:
Using both models, the planet's temperature would be between 1340 to 1540 K.
So there were clues, certainly, but indeed it got moderately easy only when I said that the object is not a star.

Well done, Bruce! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:25 pm

I once was they say, though no mo' today
But if I hadn't been, then y'all wouldn't be.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:35 pm

While some may fret 'he's gone over the line,'
I assure Mods and all, this isn't devine.
I've been proposed as a cause theoretical,
which Creationists might find quite heretical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Big Bang??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Ann wrote:Big Bang??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ann
That might fit, but nope, that ain't it.

Don't think so far back to compute the right track.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 pm

My name is Titanic, but my end was gigantic.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Gads! A poetic puzzle!!