Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Where am I?

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 am

Orson Welles'radio dramatization of The War of the Worlds has the same star as Superman, Alpha Corona Borealis, although Orson Welles himself has another star entirely!

Ann

Oh, P.S, Sagittarius A??? I'd try to figure it out, but right now I have to run!!! See ya!
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Small hint... single letters are not important, except for shock effect.

Also... Orson Wells is was a star :!: He's just past the burned-out stage so you can't see him anymore. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Oh, so you were born in the sign of Sagittarius, you mean? I'm afraid that doesn't help me much in this case, but still, it's good to know! :D

Let me put it like this: Orson Welles' radio dramatization of "The War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells can be regarded as a Scorpio, since it was broadcast on October 30, 1938, and whatever happens on October 30 happens in the sign of Scorpio. But frankly, the sign of Scorpio has nothing to do with my riddle. But there is another part of the date of the radio dramatization of "The War of the Worlds" that makes Alpha Corona Borealis the star of this historical radio show!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Ah... ok. Now i sorta got ya. I had kinda the right idea, but the information you use is no where in my line of sight, at least that i can now associate with. Which means i haven't got a clue. But it's fun watching you do whatever it is that you're doing, that is apparently something different than what it looks like.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:28 am

Let me put it like this. The radio dramatization of "War of the Worlds" was on October 30. That doesn't matter. The radio dramatization of "War of the Worlds" was in 1938. That matters.

And therefore the star of the radio dramatization of "War of the Worlds" is Alpha Corona Borealis.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:39 am

Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 am

Photo: United Artists
Congratulations, Julie Andrews, you are 77 years old, going on 78! But already 23 Ursa Majoris is your star. According to the latest Hipparcos Catalog, the distance to 23 Ursa Majoris is 77.67 ± 0.30 light-years away.

Credit & Copyright: Chris Cook (CookPhoto.com)

And in October next year, royal Regulus (Hipparos distance: 79.30 ± 0.67 light-years) will be your star! Yeahh!!! You will even get the Leo 1 dwarf galaxy as a sort of bonus, although you'll have to grow some 10,000 times older before the Leo 1 galaxy really becomes your galaxy!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:32 am

Perhaps a light is dawning in my denseness. You seem to be correlating the distance of stars, in light years, to events in earth years. But as to why, i have no idea. The dawning light just doesn't seem to want to rise anymore than that. :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Okay. I'm 58. My star, 58 Ophiuchi, is located 57.57 ± 0.24 light-years away, so it's ≈ 58 light-years away. I couldn't find anything closer to 58 light-years!

What about your star, Beyond? How far away would it be?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Well, at the moment, IF i had a star, according to what you said, it would be about 66 light years away, youngster Ann. ;)

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 am

Beyond wrote:Well, at the moment, IF i had a star, according to what you said, it would be about 66 light years away, youngster Ann. ;)
Ahh!!! :D :D :D Alpha Arietis, also known as Hamal, is your star! :D :D :D

Hipparcos distance to Hamal: 65.81 ± 0.33 light-years!

Here you can see the general outline of constellation Aries.

Wow, Beyond - you are a Sagittarius, but your star is in Aries! This is almost too much astrology all at once! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:36 am

Here are the solutions to my puzzle(s). Superman was created in 1938, so he is 75 years old. His star is Alpha Corona Borealis, Alphecca, is 75.05 ± 0.48 light-years away. Batman was created in 1939 (on the heels of Superman's success), so he is 74 years old. His star is Alpha Serpentis, which is 73.96 ± 0.32 light-years away. Mickey Mouse (Steamboat Willie) was created in 1928, so he is 85 years old. Alpha Phoenicis is his star, and it is 84.7 ± 1.7 light-years away. Nelson Mandela is 95 years old, and his star is HD 75289. That star is 95.06 ± 0.89 light-years away. Shakespeare was born in 1564, so if he was still alive he would be 449 years old. I couldn't find a star that is 449 light-years away, but Betelgeuse is 498 ± 63 light-years away!

Margarita and Moonlady will have to check out their stars themselves and see if I got their ages correct!

Let me tell you this was hard. To find a star, I googled, say, "65 light-years away". Google would find an article for me which named a star that according to the article was 65 light-years away. I checked that star with my software, which has got the latest Hipparcos catalogue. Guess what? The new, improved Hipparcos catalogue would place this star at a slightly different distance from us - not 65 light-years any longer! I tried a few other approaches. For example, when I was looking for Julie Andrews' star, which had to be 78 light-years away, I checked the "middle stars" of the Big Dipper with my software, since I knew that these stars are typically around 80 light-years away. Yes, they are, and none is as close as 78 light-years.

It was hard, and I don't know how much fun it was! Thanks for solving the puzzle and making me stop doing this now, Beyond! Image

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:46 am

Almost too much astrology at once :?: Hamal, Hmm... makes me think of a guy in Star Wars, which seems to fit right in, word-wise, with Aries. Alpha Arietis sounds important and is also at the top of the alphabet. In my younger days, i used to shoot arrows with a 50# recurve bow. Don't know what the draw weight of the bow in the constellation Sagittarius is. It's probably measured in light years. Say, wouldn't this all be called something like astronology :?: :lol2:

EDIT: IF i knew you were going to stop, i wouldn't have said anything. Oh-well, I'm sure you'll come up with something just as interesting... after a short break. :mrgreen:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:34 am

I have puzzle that I want to post, so I'll do that now. Anyone interested in guessing and posting an answer to my puzzle is most welcome to do so, but you don't have to post a puzzle of your own if you don't want to. Of course, if you want to post your own puzzle, that would be great, too!

Here goes:

I'm the most nearby of my kind, but I'm not particularly famous for it.

I'm near, but yet so far! And to most of you Asteriskians, including the person posting this puzzle, I'm underfoot. Way underfoot!

My secretary (the person making this post) will be back with a few more clues in a few hours!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:12 pm

No takers? Okay, here's more:

I'm nearby, I'm underfoot, but I'm no Alpha or Proxima. No Siree!

But I'm no Aldebaran or Arcturus, either. Why do people think I'm like them?

But hey, I've got my own flag! It's true! Well, not my own own flag, but yes, I've really got sort of my own flag! Except it's not one flag... it's five flags, can you believe it?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Well, the only thing that i have so far, is a pretty safe guess that you, are in Sweden. :mrgreen:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Beyond wrote:Well, the only thing that i have so far, is a pretty safe guess that you, are in Sweden. :mrgreen:
And you are in the States! But some people here, like Nitpicker, are not in the northern hemisphere, and to them I, the answer to the puzzle, am not underfoot! Hey, I may even wave from Nitpicker's flagpole! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Ann wrote:
No takers? Okay, here's more:

I'm nearby, I'm underfoot, but I'm no Alpha or Proxima. No Siree!

But I'm no Aldebaran or Arcturus, either. Why do people think I'm like them?

But hey, I've got my own flag! It's true! Well, not my own own flag, but yes, I've really got sort of my own flag! Except it's not one flag... it's five flags, can you believe it?
. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_depi ... hern_Cross
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Okay, okay, you got it, Art! Well, sort of. And I know - I mean, my secretary who is making this post knows - that there are more than five flags featuring me, but I was referring to national flags.

Yes, you are sort of right, but not completely! Who am I? And why am I the most nearby of my kind?

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Ann wrote:
Okay, okay, you got it, Art! Well, sort of. And I know - I mean, my secretary who is making this post knows - that there are more than five flags featuring me, but I was referring to national flags.

Yes, you are sort of right, but not completely! Who am I? And why am I the most nearby of my kind?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crux wrote:
<<Three of the five main Crux stars—Acrux, Mimosa, and Delta Crucis—are co-moving B-type members of the Scorpius-Centaurus Association, the nearest OB association to the Sun. They are among the highest-mass stellar members of the Lower Centaurus-Crux subgroup of the association, with ages of roughly 10 to 20 million years. To explain the presence of radioactive 60Fe in deep ocean ferromanganese crusts, it has been hypothesized that a nearby supernova, possibly a member of Sco–Cen, exploded in the Sun's vicinity roughly 3 million years ago, causing the Pliocene–Pleistocene boundary marine extinction. The star HD 106906 has been found to have a planet—HD 106906 b—that has a larger orbit than any other exoplanet discovered to date.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Good guess, but no cigar, Mr Neuendorffer. I am - well, not exactly single, because I'm towing my little brother along, but I am certainly no association! And as for B-type stars, those other Cruxians are really distant sort of fellas. Give me Regulus any time - he's the nearest of all B-type stars, and hes' just a little more nearby than I am!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Ann wrote:
Good guess, but no cigar, Mr Neuendorffer. I am - well, not exactly single, because I'm towing my little brother along, but I am certainly no association! And as for B-type stars, those other Cruxians are really distant sort of fellas. Give me Regulus any time - he's the nearest of all B-type stars, and hes' just a little more nearby than I am!
What has it got in it's nasty little pocketses?
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 pm

My goodness me, I marvel at your mysterious misfires! Methink the misters, missuses and misses should mull over menaces, motives, mistakes and mossibilities - I mean, possibilities! The mantling of my mug as I muse on it is magical, giantly so!

And you affront me, my good Sir, because I have no pocketses! But I apologize on behalf on my secretary for her writing "hes'" instead of "he's". It is partly made up by your writing "it's" instead of "its", Mister Meuenmorffer!

Ann

P.S. No!!! My secretary did write "he's"!! You misquoted her, my good Sir!!!
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't know about the 1st Infantry Division, but The Big Red One is me!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Still nothing? Do I have to spell it out?
Can you see a big red one here?

Ann
Color Commentator