Where are ANY of the impactors?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Usually people just see something somewhere and repeat. They might not even realize that, so when they're asked about root cause, they don't remember :D I guess harry just met someone, who was in love with comas, long time ago.

@geckzilla, I'm sure those little comas are truly loved and not abused.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:09 pm

Maybe they are lovespawn rather than loved. They do bear a certain resemblance. :shock:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:00 am

maybe It's just a "down under" way of representing a timely pause in the written conversation

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:19 am

Hi geckzilla
Seems to me that the opposite sex has been allowed to abuse periods with total disregard for the little guys feelings for years.
I merely believe that we should have the equal right to abuse comas if we so wish to.
I would “ more likely than not “ end my personal abuse of the coma at such time as the oppisite sex finds something that fit’s the situation more appropriately.
Such as, hmmm, possibly the Exclamation point !

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:35 am

Hello All

Forget the comars and get back to discussing cosmology.

or girls ooops or boys.

Anything but comars
Harry : Smile and live another day.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:07 am

:roll:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 am

Yes, so.
I believe that one of the two NASA impactors is going to be a low speed impact chains.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:20 am

More value added posts....
STDD
Tic Toc

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:07 pm

CC and FireIce, I dont see why you have to b***h about post value all the time, after you wanned this to be "free speech" forum, or didn't you?

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:39 am

Hello All

MarkC is right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,taking a deep breath,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,darn darn.

You cannot argue with someone who is right.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:46 am

harry wrote:You cannot argue with someone who is right.
Why not? I have no superpowers in this forum ;)

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 am

THX1138
Low speed would be a good one to see, yet there should have been military tests also of weapons, after all, it is the USA's DOD that owns the space shuttles. As I posted earlier; "Actually CS crater chains are a
"natural" occurrence in all places on earth. They have been naturally created since explosives were invented. To "blow" ditches into the terrain for irrigation as an example. Then for use in war as the result of automatic firing weapons. (The machine gun.) And, finally today, as a multiple warhead delivery vehicle for modern high yield atomic weapons that can create concise systematic lines of craters, or to different cities
in a region. These are "natural" where intelligent life has been."

And, still the fact remains, there should be a percentage of impactors showing. NOT ! !

makc
Free speach is one thing, that is far from the issue, it is the wrongfull use of such a freedom that marks ones for why they do it though.

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:31 pm

I do because I don't care. And you?

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:51 pm

00000O0OO0OO0OOOOOO000OO000O0000

:wink:

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:03 am

Hello All

Hello MarkC

Holding a ton of Krypdonite.

Smile,,,,,,,,,,,I meant,,,,,That if a person is correct, how can you go into conflict. Just agree and move on.

Createrchains

Is that Japanese wording.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:34 pm

maybe
MOREDDSAMEBNS
Tic Toc

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:35 pm

Because impactors DON'T line up all equally spaced and systematically concise in such manners I use it to demonstrate that it takes intelligence to have such an alignment.
:lol:

OOOOO000OO00OO0O0O0OO0000

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:29 pm

I propose it actually took really dumb aliens to create crater chains.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 pm

yep. why not some waves, or circles? triangles? complex ornaments? imagine if you could sign an asteroid with your name by bombarding it with giant laser beams in some highly aligned manner.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:56 pm

geckzilla wrote:I propose it actually took really dumb aliens to create crater chains.
:lol: Not as dumb as the losers of that war :lol:

FOCLMFAO

Since there are NO visable surviving impactors in any of the craters, or chains of craters, and NOT all so called impactors travel at hyper velocity, the missing percentage tells a whole different story to many that study such anomolies.

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:26 pm

craterchains wrote:
geckzilla wrote:I propose it actually took really dumb aliens to create crater chains.
:lol: Not as dumb as the losers of that war :lol:

FOCLMFAO

Since there are NO visable surviving impactors in any of the craters, or chains of craters, and NOT all so called impactors travel at hyper velocity, the missing percentage tells a whole different story to many that study such anomolies.
Seems as good a craterchains post, in this thread, to quote as any ...

Perhaps you might be kind enough, craterchains, to specify just what you mean by "visable surviving impactors" (of the kind that you obviously seem to expect should be found)?

Depending on how you answer this, it might then be interesting to look at the results of various lab experiments, involving compact objects impacting various media (hard rock, loose sand, ...) at speeds comparable to the escape velocities of the Moon and Earth.

Oh, and one more question from this quoted post: how did you determine what speeds the impactors which caused the observed craters on the Moon and on Earth were travelling at, when they hit?

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:30 am

Nereid,
" There are also many meteors found in the antarctic, burried in the ice with no indications of impact cratering that have been studied."
Obviously, I am not talking about scraps, bits, and pieces. There are also many meteors found in the
antarctic, buried in the ice with no indications of impact cratering that have been studied.

"Depending on how you answer this, it might then be interesting to look at the results of various lab experiments, involving compact objects impacting various media (hard rock, loose sand, ...) at speeds comparable to the escape velocities of the Moon and Earth. "
Instead I would rather study Hyperion's multi-layered, deeply cratered terrain with very little gravity and no
atmosphere to speak of.

"Oh, and one more question from this quoted post: how did you determine what speeds the impactors
which caused the observed craters on the Moon and on Earth were travelling at, when they hit?"
I have never stated, nor do I accept the "pat answer", that these craters, chains of craters, and multi-ringed
craters we see are all caused by impactors traveling at any speed.

Norval

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:12 pm

craterchains wrote:Nereid,
" There are also many meteors found in the antarctic, burried in the ice with no indications of impact cratering that have been studied."
Obviously, I am not talking about scraps, bits, and pieces. There are also many meteors found in the
antarctic, buried in the ice with no indications of impact cratering that have been studied.
I can't find the post which contains the first quoted sentence - can you tell me where it is please, and who posted it?
"Depending on how you answer this, it might then be interesting to look at the results of various lab experiments, involving compact objects impacting various media (hard rock, loose sand, ...) at speeds comparable to the escape velocities of the Moon and Earth. "
Instead I would rather study Hyperion's multi-layered, deeply cratered terrain with very little gravity and no
atmosphere to speak of.
I'm not sure why that distant and poorly studied moon would be the place to start ... we have essentially no restrictions on detailed, in situ research into terrestrial craters; if we wish to study impact cratering in the absence of a significant atmosphere, we have many kg of lunar material, collected in situ and in the form of meteorites. And some bodies 'with very little gravity' and with obvious craters have been studied much more closely than Hyperion - Eros, Deimos, and Phobos, for example.

Why should craters on Hyperion be different from craters on the Earth, Moon, Eros, or Phobos? What is it about craters on the Earth, Moon, Eros, and Phobos that rules them out as way-stations to addressing the question in the OP?
"Oh, and one more question from this quoted post: how did you determine what speeds the impactors
which caused the observed craters on the Moon and on Earth were travelling at, when they hit?"
I have never stated, nor do I accept the "pat answer", that these craters, chains of craters, and multi-ringed
craters we see are all caused by impactors traveling at any speed.

Norval
Hmm ... I don't follow you here ... I mean, in the OP, you ask "Where are ANY of the impactors?

When one looks at all the images of cratered surfaces there is something that seems to be missing. Often when researching images it isn't what you can see or don't see, but what one should see and yet it isn't there.
"

Now the "pat answer" to that, as given by many users early in this thread, is that you won't find them*, because they were destroyed by the impact itself.

Could you please summarise the logic of your claim?

Specifically, within the framework of the "pat answer", how could there be any "visable surviving impactors"?

*Except, as you say, for "scraps, bits, and pieces"

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:37 pm

What I found/find fascinating with the examination of cratering is all the examples at our fingertips. Columbia pieces sitting on the ground, some metal penetrated the ground but no craters, meteors going through roofs of house, through a car trunk and sitting on the floor or bouncing off a photocopier and sitting on the floor or an airplane falling out of the sky leaving a skid and scorch mark in the ground but no crater to speak of unless there is something volatile with the plane like fuel that explodes.
Nereid I think you have to study craters a bit more before you can challenge anyone on where are the impactors, better yet I would suggest you talk to Mrs. E Shoemaker about the research Eugene had done otherwise you’re just making noise.
Tic Toc

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:48 pm

Quotes
"Columbia pieces sitting on the ground, some metal penetrated the ground but no craters, meteors going through roofs of house, through a car trunk and sitting on the floor or bouncing off a photocopier and sitting on the floor or an airplane falling out of the sky leaving a skid and scorch mark in the ground but no crater to speak of unless there is something volatile with the plane like fuel that explodes. "

From what i read, low speed object wont create a crater and will resist the impact. But if they come on a planet or a moon at 50000km per hour then they will vaporise as gas and plasma on impact and create a huge crater. And nothing will be left of it except may be small peeble at best. When you found a meteorite (Asteroid) then it mean it get in earth atmosphere at low speed. If an asteroid hit the moon at low speed then you might find it. But you have to go there to know where to search it since it wont be that much visible from earth (Almost no crater.)

Still from what i read, asteroid usualy have a speed of 30000km per hour to around 70000 km per hour. Depending from where it is coming (Belt asteroid or farther), the farther it is coming from the more speed it obtain because of sun gravity (It have more time to gain speed) also a planet might add up gravity to the sun gravity like uhhh.. saturn as an example. As for comet they might go over a 100000 km per hour (Because they usualy come from outside the solar system and got a lot more time to gain speed). They are more treatening for us on earth then meteor.

So crater on any moon of saturn is probably due to saturn gravity wich give speed to an asteroid and then a moon passing in between is hit by it and then a crater is create on it. That goes for any planets that have moons.