Strange streak discussion: 2004 Dec 7 APOD

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
BrainChild

Post by BrainChild » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:33 pm

ur right it is lighting but the ball isnt its made cause the lighting hit a light pole makin the light explode

BrainChild

Post by BrainChild » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:34 pm

light bulb*

Re: Unidentified dark line

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:34 pm

Nice photo.
I believe that the dark linear feature is almost certainly caused by an aircraft contrail, as Paul Doherty has suggested. I have seen these many times, and they do not require extended camera exposure time if the atmosphere is sufficiently turbid (enough haze present) and is otherwise illuminated by sunlight. The solar geometry (inferred from illuminated clouds in the upper right portion of the photo) appears to support the observed orientation of the shadow, and although the sky region of interest is not shown in this photo it does appear that there are clearer skies in the vicinity of where the contrail would have been (if one were able to pan farther to the left, and then up). The viewing geometry requirements for these phenomena are as Paul indicates...we are effectively observing the cross section of a relatively dark planar object in the sky...recalling that the cross section of a plane is simply a line. The presence of upper level clouds (cirrus) in this photo yields another clue pertaining to the state of upper atmospheric moisture...increased moisture is conducive to contrail formation and persistence (ie, if the atmopshere is too dry, the contrails will evaporate shortly after formation, or not form at all). It makes sense for contrails to last in environments that support their existence and this is why we often see contrails preferentially in the vicinity of naturally occurring cirrus (although the only real requirement in the moisture).

Steven D. Miller, Ph.D.
Naval Research Laboratory
Monterey, CA
pauld@exploratorium.edu wrote:I've seen a similar phenomenon many times before.
Perhaps it is the shadow of a contrail on the air?

The shadow of a contrail falls on hazy air.
Often contrails are straight lines.
When you are inside the shadow looking along it you can see the shadow. Look at right angles and you cannot see the shadow.
When the contrail drifts due to wind, you are no longer inside the shadow and cannot see it.
This is why it is visible only briefly.

Paul Doherty
Senior Staff Scientist
The Exploratorium

Jason

The streak

Post by Jason » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:37 pm

If it is a photograph taken with a NON-Digitial camera...

It has been known that sometimes film is creased, ie a defect in that piece of film. The result is a line which can be found on the negative.

If it is digital, I know not.

cky

Post by cky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:37 pm

yo ive seen them before so i think its something never seen before

cky

Post by cky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:40 pm

its god

Mr.anderson

Post by Mr.anderson » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:44 pm

id tell u guys what it was but then id have to kill u

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:46 pm

Care to address how a "contrail" can appear and disappear in 30 seconds?

Anonymous wrote:Nice photo.
I believe that the dark linear feature is almost certainly caused by an aircraft contrail, as Paul Doherty has suggested. I have seen these many times, and they do not require extended camera exposure time if the atmosphere is sufficiently turbid (enough haze present) and is otherwise illuminated by sunlight. The solar geometry (inferred from illuminated clouds in the upper right portion of the photo) appears to support the observed orientation of the shadow, and although the sky region of interest is not shown in this photo it does appear that there are clearer skies in the vicinity of where the contrail would have been (if one were able to pan farther to the left, and then up). The viewing geometry requirements for these phenomena are as Paul indicates...we are effectively observing the cross section of a relatively dark planar object in the sky...recalling that the cross section of a plane is simply a line. The presence of upper level clouds (cirrus) in this photo yields another clue pertaining to the state of upper atmospheric moisture...increased moisture is conducive to contrail formation and persistence (ie, if the atmopshere is too dry, the contrails will evaporate shortly after formation, or not form at all). It makes sense for contrails to last in environments that support their existence and this is why we often see contrails preferentially in the vicinity of naturally occurring cirrus (although the only real requirement in the moisture).

Steven D. Miller, Ph.D.
Naval Research Laboratory
Monterey, CA
pauld@exploratorium.edu wrote:I've seen a similar phenomenon many times before.
Perhaps it is the shadow of a contrail on the air?

The shadow of a contrail falls on hazy air.
Often contrails are straight lines.
When you are inside the shadow looking along it you can see the shadow. Look at right angles and you cannot see the shadow.
When the contrail drifts due to wind, you are no longer inside the shadow and cannot see it.

Paul Doherty
Senior Staff Scientist
The Exploratorium

BrainChild

Post by BrainChild » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:46 pm

only one way to find out if its lighting or not who ever took this picture has to check the pole for burns with a V shaped pattern

cky

Post by cky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:47 pm

who wants to fight

MarkS

Optical Lens Artifacts

Post by MarkS » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:48 pm

Given the position of the sun in the sky and the angle of the small bright "cloudy" streak, I suspect that the phenomenon is caused by a reflection of sunlight off an object floating in the water. The short, bright streak points directly at the sun, as optical artifacts of a lens do. The long, dark streak may be either a shadow of the original reflection in the atmosphere caused by an irregularity in the reflecting surface of the object in the water, or possibly an anti-reflection in the camera's lens - in essence the optical counterpart to the short, bright streak.

Cky

Post by Cky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:48 pm

im an idiot @_@

cky

Post by cky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:49 pm

but really lets altually find out what it is
pink floyd:

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:50 pm

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:51 pm

Is it really so mysterious? We've seen magic shadows before
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap010219.html

Perfectly straight streak, emanating from a source of light, the streak is gone as soon as the flash (light source) is gone.
There's a wisp of smoke at the bottom of that pole... So there was an electrical short, eventually the light on that pole blew up, and the flash cast a shadow toward the photographer.
no?

cky

Post by cky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:51 pm

its a cumbubbe

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:53 pm

crepuscular ray from the sun reflecting off the water casting the shadow of the pole

lamb of god

Post by lamb of god » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:53 pm

its ball lightning

Pez

Post by Pez » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:53 pm

It strikes me (no pun intended) that the lamp had a malfunction and shorted or the like.

I've seen mercury-vapour light standards go in a brilliant burst, though they're usually on at the time.....

Cheers
Pez

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:55 pm

one question wouldnt we c shawdows all the way down mainstreet of new york when a short happend? no?

BrainChild

Post by BrainChild » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:56 pm

later post site hope u guys figure this out

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:58 pm

Anonymous wrote:Care to address how a "contrail" can appear and disappear in 30 seconds?
pauld@exploratorium.edu wrote: When the contrail drifts due to wind, you are no longer inside the shadow and cannot see it.
Actually, this issue was addressed. One issue that was not addressed by the contrail shadow theory was why the bright spot at the end of the shadow looks like a bug. Another unaddressed rebuttal brought against the contrail shadow was that the lighting for a shadow of this angle is very wrong.

--"purplecube"

Bummer

Post by Bummer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:59 pm

Or it might be something like this http://www.worldwindcentral.com/view_hotspot.php?id=133, a srceenshot of nasa's worldwind http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/, displaying some piece of desert in Victoria.

Sean

Reverse

Post by Sean » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:59 pm

Can anyone figure out based on location and relative angle of the "streak" where it would point to in the sky? Then compare with orbiting satalitte or other aerial traffic flight paths at the time and date of occurance? Might give a clue.

Bear

Post by Bear » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:04 pm

The dark line?
If it wasn't a laser or pulsating energy beam; then my theory is the tiny spaceship trail. (why are we so arrogant as to assume aliens are in our size relation)
The flash of light?
The tinyspaceship took our picture! (using a digital flash to send back the holographic pis.) :wink: