Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Where am I?

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 20, 2013 7:15 am

Ann wrote:Honestly, Margarita, I had never heard of the battle of Gataskogen, where this man was captured. Must have slept during my history lessons.

But now that I've googled it, I can see that this battle took place in 1365, so.... NGC 1365?

Ann
Correct!

It's the first galaxy I fell in love with, seeing it in this image soon after I joined Asterisk*.

I was also thinking of
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121124.html

Using dates and linking them with events is a way for me to TRY to remember the numbers of NGC objects.

Here is a general fun query:

Look for NGC objects (including IC) for famous dates! And say why the date is famous.

Here's some to start with:

Margarita

PS. I don't have the answers! This is a slightly different form of the quiz!
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 20, 2013 11:32 am

I'll take 1492, when Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 am

Beyond wrote:I'll take 1492, when Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
He did indeed - and he sailed from beach a few hundred miles from where I am sitting!

So - tell us about NGC 1492, with photo if possible. I am presuming that such an object exists - but I know NOTHING about it :lol2: !

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Well, there doesn't seem to be much to tell about NGC1492.
It was discovered in 1948 by William Herschel.
There only seems to be 2-pictures of it. A very blurry blob, and a not quite as blurry blob.
So i didn't go to all the trouble of downloading and uploading, as there's really nothing to see.
That's about it, as far as i can tell.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Beyond wrote:Well, there doesn't seem to be much to tell about NGC1492.
It was discovered in 1948 by William Herschel.
There only seems to be 2-pictures of it. A very blurry blob, and a not quite as blurry blob.
So i didn't go to all the trouble of downloading and uploading, as there's really nothing to see.
That's about it, as far as i can tell.
:lol2: :lol2: Oh well, we won't petition to have it renamed Columbus Galaxy!

I couldn't find it in the English language Wikipedia, but found this in
http://dso-browser.com/dso/info/NGC/1492

Also known as ESO 359-12
DSO Type Galaxy Sub-class Sa - Spiral
Right Ascension 3h 58m 12s
Declination -35º 27' 00''
Constellation ERI - Eridanus
Apparent Magnitude 13.40

I'll see if I can do any better with 1066 (the Battle of Hastings - William the Conqueror and Harold getting an arrow in the eye.)

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 20, 2013 6:07 pm

I saw somewhere that NGC 1492 is an emission line galaxy. Margarita, if you feel like it, you might read this arxiv.org article about galactic emission lines. Have fun! :D
Here's a picture of NGC 1066, surrounded by all its buddies. NGC 1066 is a boring elliptical with, possibly, two distinctive features. My software quotes Principal Galaxy Catalog (PGC), which says that NGC 1066 is a compact object. Well, interesting. Also, PGC says that NGC 1066 is an infrared-bright galaxy, which is extremely unusual for ellipticals. The Battle of Hastings galaxy is almost two magnitudes brighter in infrared light than in blue light, which is really remarkable for an elliptical galaxy. Perhaps there is a large but unseen reservoir of dust inside it.

There is a handsome spiral right next to NGC 1066, named NGC 1067.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Well!, as an ardent Anglo-Saxon who still believes that the Normans were A Bad Thing (do you know the spoof history book called "1066 and All That"??) I am not surprised that the heavens chose NOT to give anything over-exciting to commemorate the death of Harold and the victory of 'orrible William in 1066!

But - 1067, with its beee---yoooo---ti-full spiral, is a different kettle of water dwelling creatures!
The Year 1067 AD

In the year 1067 AD Olav III and Magnus II became joint Kings of Norway.
In the year 1067 AD construction began on the Tower of London. Hmm! See - the iron fist of William already showing itself.

In the year 1067 AD Lady Godiva, Countess Of Mercia, died.
http://www.virtuescience.com/1067.html#.UZpoXq3TW2c

BUT, Wikipedia tells me that,( but my Android has gone Paranoid again, and won't paste the URL)
in 1067
The two pretenders to the Swedish throne, Eric Stenkilsson and Eric the Pagan, are both killed during the struggle for power in Sweden. Halsten, son of king Stenkil, who died the year before, becomes the new king of the country.
Despite that harrowing news from Sweden, I nominate NGC 1067 to be the Lady Godiva Galaxy! (Has her fame spread outside of England? At the drop of a wimple, I'll recite the tale.)

Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm

I think most people are only familiar with the riding a horse down the street while being naked part, and not why she did it, which i seem to remember, had something to do with her husband?
Also, i have no use for a wimple, so i have none to drop. :mrgreen:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Beyond wrote:I think most people are only familiar with the riding a horse down the street while being naked part, and not why she did it, which i seem to remember, had something to do with her husband?
Also, i have no use for a wimple, so i have none to drop. :mrgreen:
Oh, the wimple is MINE, Beyond - not yours! :lol2: :lol2:
Lady Godiva — was an 11th-century Anglo-Saxon noblewoman who, according to a legend dating back at least to the 13th century, rode naked through the streets of Coventry in order to gain a remission of the oppressive taxation imposed by her husband on his tenants. >>>

According to the typical version of the story, Lady Godiva took pity on the people of Coventry, who were suffering grievously under her husband's oppressive taxation. Lady Godiva appealed again and again to her husband, who obstinately refused to remit the tolls.

At last, weary of her entreaties, he said he would grant her request if she would strip naked and ride through the streets of the town. Lady Godiva took him at his word and, after issuing a proclamation that all persons should stay indoors and shut their windows, she rode through the town, clothed only in her long hair.

Just one person in the town, a tailor ever afterwards known as Peeping Tom, disobeyed her proclamation in one of the most famous instances of voyeurism. In the story, Tom bores a hole in his shutters so that he might see Godiva pass, and is struck blind.

In the end, Godiva's husband keeps his word and abolishes the onerous taxes.
This is the statue in the centre of Coventry.

Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 pm

I forgot about the 'blind' part. Hmm... maybe that's where the idea of 'blinds' came from. To protect us from lady Godiva happenings. :mrgreen:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue May 21, 2013 2:50 am

I think Lady Godiva died and went to heaven and returned to become a chocolatier! :D :D :D

Carl von Linné, the Swedish cataloger of plants and animals, called cocoa "Theobroma" or something - I'm too lazy to google right now - which means "food of the gods"! :D :mrgreen:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue May 21, 2013 3:11 am

All i have to say about that, is YUM! :chomp:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue May 21, 2013 7:08 am

Beyond wrote:All i have to say about that, is YUM! :chomp:
Oooh - lucky Lady Godiva!

Food of the gods - absolutely right! Even looking at the shop makes me feel like eating chocolate....
Margarita

PS Any thoughts about a CHOCOLATE GALAXY?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 am

Just one thought... EATING IT :!: :chomp: :yes: :thumb_up: :lol2:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 pm

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30558

Found when I was browsing the archives on a rainy day...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 22, 2013 2:46 am

Can't resist posting a picture of NGC 1666, the Great Fire of London galaxy, commemorating the slightly fiendish year of 1666. (Well, take away the "1" from 1666, and what have you got?)Image

It's a pretty nice galaxy. It's got enough structure that it might be classified as a very early Sa-type spiral. (Yes, my software classified is as SB0-a, which means that it has a disk and a bar, and it just might have some residual spiral structure.) There's a short but bright bar, and, fascinatingly, there is an obvious ring whose color strongly suggests that it is an intermediate feature, probably younger than the Sun but still way, way past its starforming days of glory. But when this now-ghostly ring was aflame with the blue fire of brilliant O-type stars, the galaxy must have been a fantastic sight. Perhaps it resembled galaxy M94, where the ring is still glorious and blue.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 22, 2013 8:56 am

Ann chortled
Can't resist posting a picture of NGC 1666, the Great Fire of London galaxy, commemorating the slightly fiendish year of 1666. (Well, take away the "1" from 1666, and what have you got?)Image
And look what I've found - linking Godiva's Galaxy and the Fiendish Fire Galaxy!

In my researching, I only found the 1666 Great Fire of London as having a boring fuzzy. Not having found the FABULOUS Fiendish Foto that Ann Found!

NGC 1666 (= PGC 16057)
Discovered (Nov 1, 1886) by Lewis Swift (5-62)
A 13th-magnitude lenticular galaxy (type SB0/a) in Eridanus (RA 04 48 32.8, Dec -06 34 10)
Apparent size 1.4 by 1.1 arcmin.

As does
1665 - (The Great Plague of London)

Even though it had the cachet of being discovered by William Herschel. :lol2:

NGC 1665 (= PGC 16044)
Discovered (Oct 5, 1785) by William Herschel
A 13th-magnitude lenticular galaxy (type S0) in Eridanus (RA 04 48 17.0, Dec -05 25 38)
Apparent size 1.8 by 1.1 arcmin.

However, the next year has a superior galaxy, which was discovered Twice! And has  TWO NGC designations. It's also rather pretty.

NGC 1667 (= NGC 1689 = PGC 16062)

Discovered (Dec 13, 1884) by Édouard Stephan (13-26) (and later listed as NGC 1667)
and THEN AGAIN
Discovered (Oct 22, 1886) by Lewis Swift (and later listed as NGC 1689)

A 12th-magnitude spiral galaxy (type SBc) in Eridanus (RA 04 48 37.0, Dec -06 19 13)
Apparent size 1.4 by 1.0 arcmin.

--- See below for problems with this link ---

In the news for1667
February – The first theatre in Scandinavia, opens in Lejonkulan and Bollhuset in Stockholm, Sweden.

October - . Brooklyn is chartered under the name Brueckelen by Mathias Nicolls, Governor of New Netherlands.

I had an idea that important dates don't yield interesting astronomical objects... But that interesting galaxies lead one to learning about Swedish history!

But Ann's discovery of the Fiendish Fire Galaxy puts this tentative hypothesis in question. :lol2:

Margarita

Edited because image link won't work
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 am

Margarita, the second image in your post is just a black X. So i copied the url and pasted it into Bing search and Pediatric Gastroenterology type listings came up.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Beyond wrote:Margarita, the second image in your post is just a black X. So i copied the url and pasted it into Bing search and Pediatric Gastroenterology type listings came up.
It's really weird - in my Dolphin browser sometimes it's showing and other times not. In Chrome, not at all.
Here is the url to the page with the photo.

http://cseligman.com/text/atlas/ngc16a.htm#1667

Fingers crossed that it continues to work!
Margarita

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 22, 2013 12:11 pm

ngc1667.jpg
PS. This is the image that I was trying to link - I've saved and uploaded it!
http://cseligman.com/text/atlas/ngc1667.jpg

When I tried to hot link it , the website shows a message about not being a valid address - presumably someone who objects to hot linking or getting to the images except through the web page. But, as I've just discovered, there is no problem with downloading the image.

Margarita

Edited to upload the image and to delete some blithering that I had written!
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Wed May 22, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 pm

I guess your Dolphin drowned. :mrgreen: Works fine with my IE10. :thumb_up:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Beyond wrote:I guess your Dolphin drowned. :mrgreen: Works fine with my IE10. :thumb_up:
With all this dodging around that this image had been doing, I propose that Galaxy 1667 be named

The Brueckelen Dodger

Especially as I've just found out from Wikipedia that the Brooklyn Dodgers dodged off to Los Angeles :!: :shock:
So Brueckelen is bereft of dodgers and needs this galaxy :lol2: :wink:

Margarita

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Where am I?
by Ann » Mon May 20, 2013 7:07 pm

I saw somewhere that NGC 1492 is an emission line galaxy. Margarita, if you feel like it, you might read this arxiv.org article about galactic emission lines.
YOIKS! :!: ANN - can you UNDERSTAND that arxiv article? :shock: I am HUGELY impressed... I went cross-eyed just reading the abstract--- :cry:
Back to the studies...
Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Margarita, I enthusiastically second your suggestion that NGC 1067 should be called the Godiva Galaxy and NGC 1667 be called The Brueckelen Dodger galaxy! :D :clap: :thumb_up: :yes:
Margarita wrote:
YOIKS! :!: ANN - can you UNDERSTAND that arxiv article? :shock: I am HUGELY impressed... I went cross-eyed just reading the abstract--- :cry:
Back to the studies...
HAH-HA! No, I took one look at it and decided that you might read it for yourself, if you really wanted to know about this stuff! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ann
Color Commentator

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Ann wrote:Can't resist posting a picture of NGC 1666, the Great Fire of London galaxy, commemorating the slightly fiendish year of 1666. (Well, take away the "1" from 1666, and what have you got?)Image

It's a pretty nice galaxy. It's got enough structure that it might be classified as a very early Sa-type spiral. (Yes, my software classified is as SB0-a, which means that it has a disk and a bar, and it just might have some residual spiral structure.) There's a short but bright bar, and, fascinatingly, there is an obvious ring whose color strongly suggests that it is an intermediate feature, probably younger than the Sun but still way, way past its starforming days of glory. But when this now-ghostly ring was aflame with the blue fire of brilliant O-type stars, the galaxy must have been a fantastic sight. Perhaps it resembled galaxy M94, where the ring is still glorious and blue.

Ann
Perhaps this would be the ideal candidate for the Large Binocular Telescope's Lucifer instrument :?:
http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/what-the-dev ... f-lucifer/