Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Where am I?

Post by Beyond » Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Only Mr. Bopp :?: What about Mr. Hale (hail) :?: Or was he left out because he was kinda stoned :?: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 05, 2013 2:29 pm

I actually left out Mr. Hale, because of... for a reason! But you are right, there were two discoverers of Comet Hale-Bopp. Now, how many discoverers were there of the comet that is the reason for the Leonids? Maybe I'm just looking for one of them... who could that be? And what could Moses and Mary have to do with him?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun May 05, 2013 3:07 pm

I don't know of any non-biblical Moses and Mary that would in any shape or form have to do with any comet, or anything spacey, so you've already left me choking in the dust of your latest fiendishly plotted puzzle, which is nothing new. :lol2: So I'm just going to wait and see if the M&M Super-Sleuth tag team of Margarita and Moonlady can pin your whole puzzle to the mat.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun May 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Well, the origin of the Leonids is the comet called after its two discoverers, Tempel and Tuttle.
Ernst Wilhelm Leberecht Tempel and
--- AH HA! EUREKA! ---
H. P. Tuttle whose parents were Moses Tuttle and Mary Merrow.

It took a long time - but I can be 'dret-full thick' sometimes... :roll:
Margarita

PS. And Ann only gave Bopp as a clue, as the LAST name of a hyphenated- name comet. I didn't get that tho, till after I'd looked up first Tempel then Tuttle....
Mops forehead.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Aren't Moses Tuttle and Mary Merrow totally irresistible names? I, at least, couldn't resist them! :D :D :D :D :D

No wonder their son liked to look at the heavens! :mrgreen:

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm not absolutely sure who won this time, although I think it was you, Margarita. But Moonlady came up with the name of the meteor storm, the Leonids.

How about we do it like this? You post the next puzzle, Margarita, and then Moonlady posts the puzzle after that, if she wants to.

How about it, Moonlady?

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun May 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Okay by me - but I'm brain dead at the moment after all the cerebration your puzzle caused, Ann!
So if Moonlady comes up with a quiz question first, that is also fine.
I'm off to have Sunday dinner with my long-suffering husband - who has put up with me questioning him about his schooldays' chemistry in order to help me get firmly to grip with the elements found in the spectra of stars....
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Well, let's see who posts a puzzle first!

I'm still giggling at the wonderful alliterations here - Mary and Moses, Mary Merrow, and Tempel-Tuttle... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

And "cerebration", Margarita? I can guess what it means, but I've never heard it before!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Youse guys are sumtin else :!: :yes: :clap: :lol2:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am

do_you_know_this_bird.jpeg
So, this is my puzzle. I found out about it in an Apod - which was put up in the year Ann joined Asterisk *. :!:
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 06, 2013 12:36 pm

IF i said "The Eagle has landed", would i be warm?

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Beyond wrote:IF i said "The Eagle has landed", would i be warm?
You would certainly be warm. Perhaps noting that, in fact, the eagle hasn't yet ever taken off...
Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Could it be the Eagle Nebula, M16?

(Got to thank Beyond - I was going to say the Running Chicken Nebula...)

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 pm

The running chicken nebula :?: :?: :?: I was thinking moon, but i think Ann may be in hot territory.
Last edited by Beyond on Mon May 06, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Ann wrote:Could it be the Eagle Nebula, M16?

(Got to thank Beyond - I was going to say the Running Chicken Nebula...)

Ann
Nooo...
clue_to_the_bird.jpeg
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Well, i see that Ann is cold, but that's ok. She likes blue. :mrgreen: Clue #2 is a big Zero for me.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Oh, but I recognize it! It's close to the Pleiades - now what is it called????

I can actually see it here, near the bottom of the picture, between 6 and 7 o'clock.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon May 06, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Find That Apod!
And then follow a link...
All this exercise is good for us all. Come on, Beyond - get searching the archives!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Here it is!
APOD Robot wrote:
But lesser known dusty nebulae lie along the region's fertile molecular cloud, within the 10 degree wide field, including the bird-like visage of LBN 777 near center.
LBN 777, Lynd's Bright Nebula #777? It sounds lucky somehow.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Well hunted! :clap: :clap: :clap:

LBN 777 is known as the baby eagle nebula, and it is in Taurus. (It is also sometimes called the Vulture Nebula, but I thought it looked more like this baby eagle!)

It appeared in
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap101118.html - as you said in your link.
The LBN 777 is rarely imaged, also known as Vulture Head Nebula. This nebula is part of the Taurus Molecular Cloud. These giant molecular clouds consist of cosmic dust and molecular gas, with an average density of 100-1000 particles per cubic centimetre. These clouds are dark, not very dense and cold as well. The clouds can loose their gravitational balance quite easy due to some gravitational impact. That time their material can condense forming into small dense parts, called bok globules. These globules keep getting more and more dense with increasing temperature, therefore new stars - and their planets - born from their material.

Taurus Molecular Cloud as a formation of a kind is one of the nearest to us, located about 400 light years away. Such a dense part of it LBN 777 - its external part lit by the surrounded stars (or even by the Milky Way itself)- can be observed as a very faint reflection nebula. Its more dense inner part is quite dark, cataloged as a dark nebula by E. E. Barnard (#207). This is the densest part of this nebula, (no starlight can permeate of it) where presumably new stars are born.
Very close, some 4.5 degrees away locates the famous Pleiades, which bright reflection cloud is part of the Taurus Molecular Cloud as well.

The Eaglet Nebula is very faint it can (be) observed only photographically.
I was delighted by HOW much the photo of the baby eagle I found was like the nebula!

OK - I'm sitting back on my laurels for a while!
Margarita
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 06, 2013 3:53 pm

PS. The link in the quote is to a picture that looks REALLY like an eaglet!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

If the color behind the eye was in the beak area... well, that would almost be 'spooky'.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey Margarita, look up, the iss should be over your head shortly, coming from the N/E. http://www.isstracker.com/

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 06, 2013 4:39 pm

What a delightful picture of the baby eagle, Margarita!
For myself, I can't resist posting another puzzle. I was inspired by this delightful picture by Sergio, posted here at Starship Asterisk* only yesterday.

The nebula in Sergio's image is called the Prawn Nebula. What inspired me about the picture was the way it shows off that fascinating ridge along the lower edge of the "prawn".

Sergio's picture made me think of a real "heritage" item from Hubble Space Telescope, a nebula that shows off an even more striking rim than the Prawn Nebula. (And the Hubble people like showing off their picture of this other nebula. Go hubbling a bit and you'll soon find it.)

What is this Hubble Telescope "heritage" object called (its NGC number will do)?

Here is a harder question. The nebula (the "Hubble" nebula, not Sergio's nebula) can be considered really poetic. In a way, it can be described as a Nobel Laureate nebula.

So what is the poetic name of the Hubble Heritage nebula?

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Beyond wrote:Hey Margarita, look up, the iss should be over your head shortly, coming from the N/E. http://www.isstracker.com/
It's still too light to see it today. We get the calsky alerts regularly, (Anthony Barreiro spelling? put me onto that) and try to wave as they go over!

Margarita

edit Argh! I've just seen Ann's puzzle!
Hubble, bubble
Toil and trouble....