How fast can we go?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:36 pm

harry wrote:Hello Qev

Well I was selling newspapers when Kennedy was shot. I was around when Elvis started.

I think I came after the monkeys.
Hi Harry! I was a newly wed and at work when Kennedy was assassinated. I remember Johnson said he would keep Kennedy's promise to land men on the moon. I think it would be nice to go there again and set up a Lunar base there. Much knowledge could be gained and I believe that Luna could come up big geology wise. Also could eventually provide a jumping off place for deep space probes. Maybe I live in a fantasy land but it's nice to dream.:roll:
Orin

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:41 pm

harry wrote:Hello Dr Skeptic

I think you whatch too many fantasy movies to come up with these multi dimensions.

As for any person on this earth to have enough info on the universe to resolve the actual model is very little chance.

We know and see into dep field maybe 13.5 billion years. This is only a sand grain on beach being infinetly long.

We could assume that what happens in a visible universe repeats over and over.

But if we use fantasy land ideas than the bunny rabbit will walk in.

I don't watch fantasy movies - I mostly read scientific journals written, scrutinized and published by experts in their field of study where the author's credibility is at stake.

Your postulation of the universe's origin was discredited back in 1927. Try to dissect a frog and the only tool is avalible is a 300 kg rock, the end result will always be an indiscript mess. Having ∞ as a qualifier is an indiscript mess.
Speculation ≠ Science

Pete
Science Officer
AKA: Long John LeBone

Post by Pete » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:45 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
harry wrote:Hello Qev

Well I was selling newspapers when Kennedy was shot. I was around when Elvis started.

I think I came after the monkeys.
Hi Harry! I was a newly wed and at work when Kennedy was assassinated. I remember Johnson said he would keep Kennedy's promise to land men on the moon. I think it would be nice to go there again and set up a Lunar base there. Much knowledge could be gained and I believe that Luna could come up big geology wise. Also could eventually provide a jumping off place for deep space probes. Maybe I live in a fantasy land but it's nice to dream.:roll:
Orin
The Japan Aerospace Exporation Agency (JAXA) recently announced its goal of setting up a manned moonbase by 2030: http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl ... 2030-.html

They'll have to address the moon dust problem: http://www.wired.com/news/space/0,2697,67110,00.html

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:09 pm

Hello Pete

That makes you older.

Dream mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing wrong with it.

The moon base will be built between 2025 ------ 20030.

------------------------------------
Hello Dr Skeptic.

What ever facts are in the pass and what ever ideas and theories are in the pass.

We are working with the observations at hand. Decades ago they did not have the same info. Different ball game.
-------------------------------------

I'm off to bed. Get my ahead around this another day.

Smile and live another day.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

MarydeSa
Asternaut

Re: How fast can we go?

Post by MarydeSa » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:45 pm

orin stepanek wrote:If the Earth orbits the sun at about 67,000 MPH and the solar system orbits the galaxy at about 447,000 MPH and the galaxy moves through space at about 1'000'000 MPH than how fast are we going? I got these figures off the net and don't know how accurate they are but Wow! We're space travelers and don't even know it.

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/Van/qa/section/ ... 112450.htm

Orin
Do you have this data in metrics?
Thank you.
"Chance only favors the prepared mind"

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:05 am

With a quick check here:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

This is what you get:

If the Earth orbits the sun at about 107,826 KPH and the solar system orbits the galaxy at about 719,377 KPH and the galaxy moves through space at about 1,609,344 KPH than how fast are we going? I got these figures off the net and don't know how accurate they are but Wow! We're space travelers and don't even know it.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:27 am

Hello Dr Skeptic.

What ever facts are in the pass and what ever ideas and theories are in the pass.

We are working with the observations at hand. Decades ago they did not have the same info. Different ball game.
This is a "head scratcher" I can't figure out if you don't understand the science that totally refutes your theory so you choose to ignore it, or if you are choosing to ignore it because you use your theory more as a religion. Either way I fail to comprehend why you find it necessary to post opinions on a science blog when there is no validity to your opinions chiseled into an unwavering mindset.

You claim the BB didn't happen, yet looking in one direction there is a "red shift" and a more dense concentration of matter, in the opposite direction everything is blue shifted and less dense. Extrapolate the data and a convergent point is not perfect but obvious.

Every scientific journal has agreed on "something like" the M-theory is a valid theory with many aspects validated by experimentation, what is it that you know that that the leading scientific community doesn't?
Speculation ≠ Science

ta152h0
Schooled

and all this is ..................

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:04 am

and all this is relative top a train traveling at v meters per second carrying an observer at same velocity.................. 8)
Wolf Kotenberg

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:34 am

Thanks BMAONE23! :wink: 1.6 X mi is approximat conversion. Looks like you got it more accurate. :)
Orin

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Dr. Skeptic wrote:Every scientific journal has agreed on "something like" the M-theory is a valid theory with many aspects validated by experimentation, what is it that you know that that the leading scientific community doesn't?
I was actually under the impression that string theory and its descendants (like M-theory) currently made no testable predictions. I'm hoping they do find a way to validate the theory, though, since it does seem pretty powerful.
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Where the "Multidimensional Theories" are making an impact are with observable events that cannot be explained by quantum physics: eg. how a single photon can be split and diffracted through a gradient membrane, "Phantom Particles" who's appearance is delayed after collisions in high ev accelerators, and how an electron and positron pair created as the results of high ev collision can have instantaneous (faster than light) reaction over any distance when one of the pair is subjected to an energy change.
Speculation ≠ Science

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:10 am

Hello Dr Skeptic

How can you get mutli dimensions from this logic.?

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:31 pm

harry wrote:Hello Dr Skeptic

How can you get mutli dimensions from this logic.?
4 years of grad school will help. :D
Speculation ≠ Science

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:27 pm

Dr. Skeptic wrote:how an electron and positron pair created as the results of high ev collision can have instantaneous (faster than light) reaction over any distance when one of the pair is subjected to an energy change.
I 'm looking forward for some linkzz.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:15 am

ckam wrote:
Dr. Skeptic wrote:how an electron and positron pair created as the results of high ev collision can have instantaneous (faster than light) reaction over any distance when one of the pair is subjected to an energy change.
I hate posting links:

http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vste ... alepr.html

Start here. If you can get through it I'll feed you more.
Speculation ≠ Science

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:56 am

Hello All

I thought the only thing that can go faster than light is the propagation of gravity.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:34 am

ckam wrote:
Quantum Entanglement:
"... This allows information to escape from a black hole without any ambiguity about how to interpret it. The information escapes through a quantum process called entanglement, in which objects are not independent if they have interacted with each other or come into being through the same process. They become linked, or entangled, such that changing one invariably affects the other, no matter how far apart they are. ..."
Dr. Seth Lloyd

A brief excerpt from an interview of Dr. Seth Lloyd of MIT. Note, some of his arguments take gratuitous liberties but I find his insight on "entanglement" fascinating.

Read more @:

http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl ... uters.html

If you are into podcast he covers some of the same topics interviewed on npr's Science Friday.

http://archive-c02m01.libsyn.com/andxeM ... 040723.mp3
Speculation ≠ Science

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:55 am

I was expecting specifically this:
namely, experiment description, etc.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:36 pm

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0503/0503052.pdf

Paper filed with Cornell U library from LSU on Entanglement.
Speculation ≠ Science

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:44 pm

If something could move faster than light; would it disappear from view? Would it suddenly appear when slowed down to sub light speed? :?
Orin

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:08 pm

Hello Orin

If something is moving faster than light. Your right you would not see it moving away. Also you would not see it coming. Unless it releases a reflection moving away.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:07 pm

harry wrote:Hello Orin

If something is moving faster than light. Your right you would not see it moving away. Also you would not see it coming. Unless it releases a reflection moving away.
And how do we know this to be true when we have no way of experiencing it? :?
Orin

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:09 am

Hello orin

Because we communicate at the speed of light. Anything greater than the speed of light we do not see it until later.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:32 pm

I think there would be a void or hole where it went toward; as an object moving faster than light would still block the light coming in from what was behind it. :roll:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:35 am

If you were traveling to a star system at the speed of light in the same direction that the universe is moving and returned at the same speed; would the trip there be longer than the return trip, or would the travel time remain the same? Why? :?
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!