Books!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Books!

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 pm

I need more books....!

I have only four so far for the tall child:
  • The Magic of Recluce
    The Towers of the Sunset
    Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math
    Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free
He's interested in politics, math, science fiction (his dad has a huge library of sci-fi, however), linguistics (and languages in general, which is why my old Hungarian textbook seems to have a permanent spot in the bathroom bookcase), and lately, playing with solder and electronic components. He's not at all interested in science (*sob* where did I go wrong?!).

I did buy the two copies of Packing for Mars; thanks again for that suggestion, neufer! My only dilemma is whether to give one to my brother and the other to exH1, or to keep one of them for myself! I also bought The Mind's Eye by Oliver Sacks, and will have a hard time giving that one away, too.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:06 pm

owlice wrote:I need more books....!

I have only four so far for the tall child:
  • The Magic of Recluce
    The Towers of the Sunset
    Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math
    Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/math-book.html wrote:
The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension,
250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
by Clifford A. Pickover
  • "Clifford Pickover, prolific writer and undisputed polymath, has put together a marvelous reference work. Its 250 short entries provide a veritable history of mathematics by focusing on its greatest theorems and the geniuses who discovered them. Topics are chronological, starting with the calculating abilities of ants 150 million years B.C. and ending with Max Tegmark's recent conjecture that our universe is not just described by math, it is mathematics. Dr. Pickover's vast love of math, and his awe before its mysteries, permeates every page of this beautiful volume. The illustrations alone are worth the book's price."
    • --Martin Gardner, author of The Colossal Book of Mathematics
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Basic Writings of Nietzsche
Friedrich Nietzsche
  • One hundred years after his death, Friedrich Nietzsche remains the most influential philosopher of the modern era. Basic Writings of Nietzsche gathers the complete texts of five of Nietzsche's most important works, from his first book to his last: The Birth of Tragedy; Beyond Good and Evil; On the Genealogy of Morals; The Case of Wagner; and Ecce Homo. Edited and translated by the great Nietzsche scholar Walter Kaufmann, this volume provides a definitive guide to the full range of Nietzsche's thought.

Included also are seventy-five aphorisms, selections from Nietzsche's correspondence, and variants from drafts for Ecce Homo.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:49 pm

bystander wrote:
Basic Writings of Nietzsche
Encouraging another Dwayne Hoover?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

<<Sheryl Hoover's son Dwayne has taken a vow of silence as a follower of Nietzsche and aims to be a jet pilot.>>

Frank: Who is that? Nietzsche? So you stopped talking because of Friedrich Nietzsche? Far out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

Otto: Nice fish, Ken. You know what Nietzsche said about animals? "They were God's second blunder."
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Gentlemen, thank you for these recommendations!!

neufer, he's 17; that means he rarely speaks to his parental units by virtue of his age. He hardly need take a vow of silence! (Though there are moments, there are moments....)

The Math Book looks like it would be a good companion to The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, which he already has. Thanks!

bystander, I'll have to see whether he already has Basic Writings of Nietzsche. He has taken a couple of philosophy courses and read some Nietzsche; I don't know how much, though. (When he was 14, we were in a bookstore to get texts needed for a class he was about to start; he looked at the book list and exclaimed, "Descartes again?!?!" Made me laugh!) This is a great suggestion for him -- right up his alley! Thanks!

I'm thinking this and a box of needed supplies might be fun, though whether for him or for me, I haven't decided. :D

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:28 pm

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Owlice,

I would be suspicious of any book with Sex and Drugs as lead in for the title...:shock: But on the other hand, sex can be a benign subject for some people and without drugs many people would be physically sick or out of their mind :!: Einstein is certainly respectable and those Elves make pretty good cookies. I like Sushi and old Electric Prunes records. We have all been beside ourselves from time to time. And the Nissan Quest transcends quite comfortably from home to the soccer field. So perhaps the book is enlightening, answers many questions and is endorsing good habits. But I don't have a clue... just a babblism.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:40 am

lol, Ed! Thanks!

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 pm

http://www.universetoday.com/81092/review-how-i-killed-pluto-and-why-it-had-it-coming-plus-win-a-copy/#more-81092 wrote:

<<It’s hard to imagine, but in 1992 astronomer Mike Brown didn’t know what the Kuiper Belt was. He had never heard of it. But just a few years later in 1999, he bet another scientist that within five more years he would find another planet out there at the edge of the solar system, past Pluto. It took a five-day extension of the bet, but Brown did it. And so began the death of Pluto as a planet, but the rise of a whole new class of objects called dwarf planets. Brown has written a book about his adventures as a planet hunter and eventual planet killer, called “How I Killed Pluto and Why it Had it Coming.”

His book is a highly readable, first person account of an astronomer who, by chance, realized he had remarkable penchant for discovering small, far away objects. The book is filled with humor, candor, geeky tendencies (he thought the first sonogram of his daughter looked like images from Venera 2 spacecraft from Venus), engaging personal anecdotes – and even romance, intrigue, mystery, fatherly love, and science.

“Discovery is exciting,” Brown writes in his book, “no matter how big or small or close or distant. But in the end, even better is discovering something that is capable of transforming our entire view of the sun and the solar system.” And Brown’s discoveries have transformed our view of the solar system (some people have changed the world — how many can claim they have changed the solar system?!) The discoveries of more objects in the Kuiper Belt turned on the heat of the debate of whether everyone’s favorite misfit planet, Pluto, was actually a planet or just a member of a new, quickly growing class of what are now called dwarf planets.

From this, some will claim, our planetary mnemonic went from “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas” to “Mean Very Evil Men Just Shortened Up Nature.” Mean and evil or educated? You decide. Find more about the book at Amazon.com (the book will be available on Dec. 7, 2010) or at Mike Brown’s website, Mike Brown’s Planets.
-------------------------------------------------
Talk about sticking to your convictions. Astronomer Mike Brown discovered an object that, at the time, was thought to be 27% bigger than Pluto. But he really didn’t want it to be a planet — he had argued against Pluto and other objects he had discovered being planets on the basis that they are in the middle of a “swarm” of similar objects. “To me it made no sense to pull one of even a few objects out of the swarm and call them something other than part of the swarm,” he wrote in his new book, “How I Killed Pluto and Why it Had it Coming.”

Universe Today had the chance to talk with Brown about his book, his discoveries, and even the latest news that perhaps Pluto actually is the biggest dwarf planet out there that we know of. Enjoy part 1 of our Q & A with Mike Brown, with part 2 coming tomorrow.

Universe Today: Over the past couple of weeks, some new discoveries have come out about the size of Eris. What are your thoughts that Pluto may actually be a bit bigger than Eris?

Mike Brown: The super-cool thing there is that when we first discovered Eris, it was great. I mean, it was fascinating for everyone in the public because we thought it was bigger than Pluto. But scientifically it really didn’t add much to our understanding of the solar system. Eris was kind of just a slightly larger twin of Pluto and nothing new was going on there. That was because we assumed it was near the larger end of the ranges of uncertainty. And by assuming that, we thought Eris was on the smaller end of density, making it the same density as Pluto. When that is the case, it is just a copy. But now that we realize it is essentially the same size as Pluto, that means Eris is a good bit more dense than Pluto, and that is actually really shocking. It tells you that these two things that formed in more or less the same place in the solar system and you would have predicted to have the same composition are essentially very different in composition. I’ve been beating my head against the wall ever since those first reports that Eris was actually smaller.

UT: Your new book, “How I Killed Pluto (and why it had it coming)” is a great read – a real page turner! How long did it take you to actually write your book?

Mike Brown: It was in fits and starts. I started it before the Pluto demotion, and I started it as sort of a ‘discovery of Eris’ book and when it looked like the IAU was going to declare it a planet. And then when it wasn’t a planet and when Pluto became part of the story I restarted it as still about Eris, but also about Pluto. In the end, the sad part of it that nobody really cares about Eris, they only care about Pluto, and so it took me awhile to get back to writing it and get to the point where I could say that this was really about Pluto as well as Eris. So it was over 2-3 years in different chunks, but the final part was a 6 month push in 2009 when I sat down and wrote the whole book.

UT: At the beginning of the book, you portray yourself as sort of stumbling into the field of looking for large objects in the Kuiper Belt. And yet here you are…

Mike Brown: I don’t know if there is any way to know ahead of time how your life is going to work out. Most people don’t have a grand plan they follow and have it work out. You start working on something and sometimes these things work out spectacularly; sometimes it works out OK, and nobody hears about it and sometimes things just don’t work out.

You see people who have done big amazing things, and you wonder how they got from here to there. Usually there is drive to do something, but everybody has to have some luck. They have to have drive and ability, as nobody does it on just luck, though. But there was no requirement that there were these large things out there in the outer solar system, and then the story would have been, “wow, what an idiot. This guy spent two years doing something and nothing came of it.” I had no way of knowing ahead of time which was going to be the answer. I’m lucky, and happy that it turned out the way it did.

UT: There was a dispute about the discovery of Haumea, where either it was an incredible coincidence that other astronomers may have found the object, too, or they may have stolen your data. In your book you say that you’re fine with not really knowing what happened – which to me is incredibly noble of you (and I think you were very noble about the whole episode). Why don’t you want to know?

Mike Brown: I don’t mean to say I don’t want to know; I would love to know. If you knew the answer and I knew I could ply you with whisky until you told me, I would go out and buy as much whisky as I could. I would love to know the answer. I don’t think I ever will, and so I’m maybe resigned to that. In my gut, I feel like I know what happened, but I really don’t. I could be wrong and then every once in a while I have doubts and say maybe these guys really didn’t do anything wrong and they had their lives ruined. It is very frustrating. I really would like to know the answer because somebody in this story is a bad person, and I hope it is not me. But, god, what if it is?

UT: You certainly gave them the opportunity to tell their side of the story and I don’t know if they really have.

Mike Brown: No, they haven’t. And it is easy to take that interpretation, and if you watch enough “Law and Order” you know that people who hide what is going on are always guilty. But at the same time I try to put myself in their shoes, where they didn’t know what they were about to stumble into, and to suddenly be barraged by the media — to which they weren’t accustomed — and not knowing what to do about it, I can imagine that they wouldn’t tell their side of the story. If everything had been on the up and up, they may have behaved the same way. Deep down inside, I don’t think so, but I don’t have certainty. And I would love to have it. Someday, somewhere, someone may walk into my office and close the door and say, “OK, I know what happened and let me tell you.’ I relish that day, but I don’t know that it will ever happen.

UT: Well, again, I thought you were very nice about the whole episode.

Mike Brown: Before writing the book, I went back and looked at all the emails back and forth about this. The crazy part for me was that my daughter was 20 days old, and these guys had just potentially done something horrible. But when I started writing about it for the book, I didn’t really remember much of it because don’t think anyone remembers much from when their children are 20 days old. I could really only reconstruct it from my own emails with them. And looking back, I am kind of proud of myself. I was really very nice. I was very supportive. I made a big website proclaiming their discovery and pointing everything to them. So, wow, on lack of sleep I’m a relatively nice guy.

Perhaps it helps having a little infant that you are carrying around for perspective as far as what is important and what isn’t. As trite and cliché-ish as that is, I think it is actually true.

UT: But yet, you seem to relish the role of “Pluto Killer”…

Check back tomorrow to find out Mike Brown answers this question, and more!>>
---------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 pm

neufer wrote:How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming
Q & A with Mike Brown, Pluto Killer, part 1
Check back tomorrow to find out Mike Brown answers to this question, and more!
Q & A with Mike Brown, Pluto Killer, part 2
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks! I just tried to add ow I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming to my Amazon wish list. Couldn't do it! Amazon placed it in my cart every time I clicked "Add to Wish List." How sneaky!!!

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 pm

owlice wrote:
Thanks! I just tried to add ow I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming to my Amazon wish list. Couldn't do it! Amazon placed it in my cart every time I clicked "Add to Wish List." How sneaky!!!
It won't be available until Dec. 7 (a sneaky attack?).
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Well, yes, but I don't want to buy it (well, I do, but there are limits and I'm past mine!), I just want to add it to my wish list so someone else knows I want it!

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:58 pm

owlice wrote:
Well, yes, but I don't want to buy it (well, I do, but there are limits and I'm past mine!),
I just want to add it to my wish list so someone else knows I want it!
The Amazon fairy is simply granting your wish.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:07 pm

HA! No, no, it's not! My wish is to put it on my wish list, not to put it in my shopping cart and risk bringing down the carefully-constructed-and-well-honed household budget, which has already had to absorb the unexpected purchase of a car, laptop, study into the necessity of a new left shoulder and new left knee, and a midnight run (which is nearly redundant in my experience) to the emergency vet! There's only so much flexibility, and everything that can be flexed has already been and can't take any more!!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:02 am

Maybe you can get your recent business partner to send you some money. http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 23&t=21361
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 am

lol!!!! Oh, he didn't pay his bill, so I had to cut him loose!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:50 pm

owlice wrote:Well, yes, but I don't want to buy it (well, I do, but there are limits and I'm past mine!), I just want to add it to my wish list so someone else knows I want it!
Owlice, WE all know you want it. Does that count :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:57 am

beyond wrote:Owlice, WE all know you want it. Does that count :?:
beyond, I'm glad you all know, but that knowledge is not going to make the book appear under my Christmas tree! (Not that having it on my Amazon wish list is likely to, either, but I can dream, I can dream!!)

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Big numbers, brilliant minds, mind-boggling concepts
New Scientist | CultureLab | Celeste Biever

THERE are children in Tokyo, trained in after-school abacus clubs, who can sum up to 30 large numbers using only the mental image of an abacus, and do it faster than someone with an electronic calculator. And there's a mathematician in New York whose intricate crocheting has allowed her colleagues to visualise various surfaces in hyperbolic space for the first time. These are some of the delightful characters that populate Alex's Adventures in Numberland.

As well as describing his interactions with a range of brilliant minds, Bellos careers lucidly through the most mind-boggling concepts with which they grapple. Some beautiful explanations include why infinity comes in different sizes and why Euclid's postulates only hold for flat space. The end result is a page-turner about humanity's strange, never easy and above all never dull, relationship with numbers.
— Garrison Keillor

Albert Einstein
Asternaut

Post by Albert Einstein » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:47 pm

If your really looking for books that would open your eyes, mind, and way of thinking, try the following:

A collection of books by the author called Zecharia Sitchin called: The Earth Chronicles
Don't let the cover fool you, they are facts and historical evidence, not fiction.
There are some 8 books in this amazing collection.

Other opening eyes books are the following:

Chariots of the Gods - by Erich von Däniken
In Search of Ancient Mysteries - by Rob Serling

I read all of this books and they are the really eye opening.
These books will definitely might answer questions you might have from the history of humanity to the future of the Universe.

Best Regards,
The Universe.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Regarding Sitchin:
Zecharia Sitchin, along with Erich von Däniken and Immanuel Velikovsky, make up the holy trinity of pseudohistorians. Each begins with the assumption that ancient myths are not myths but historical and scientific texts. Sitchin's claim to fame is announcing that he alone correctly reads ancient Sumerian clay tablets. [Of course, he didn't announce this by taking out an ad in the New York Times but by implying it with his "translations" that do not jibe with the work of legitimate scholars in the field.] If Sitchin is right, then all other scholars have misread these tablets, which, according to Sitchin, reveal that gods from another planet (Nibiru or Niburu, which orbits our Sun every 3,600 years) arrived on Earth some 450,000 years ago and created humans by genetic engineering of female apes. Niburu orbits beyond Pluto and is heated from within by radioactive decay, according to Sitchin. No other scientist has discovered that these descendants of gods blew themselves up with nuclear weapons some 4,000 years ago (The War of Gods and Men, p. 310).* Sitchin alone can look at a Sumerian tablet and see that it depicts a man being subjected to radiation. He alone knows how to correctly translate ancient terms allowing him to discover such things as that the ancients made rockets (ibid., p. 46).* Yet, he doesn't seem to know that the seasons are caused by the earth's tilt, not by its distance from the sun.

Both Sitchin and Velikovsky write very knowledgeably of ancient myths and both are nearly scientifically illiterate. Like von Däniken and Velikovsky, Sitchin weaves a compelling and entertaining story out of facts, misrepresentations, fictions, speculations, misquotes, and mistranslations.

Most of Sitchin’s sources are obsolete. He has received nothing but ridicule from scientific archaeologists and scholars familiar with ancient languages. His most charming quality seems to be his vivid imagination and complete disregard for established facts and methods of inquiry, traits that are apparently very attractive to some people.
That from here: http://www.skepdic.com/sitchin.html

Might also want to look at the Wikipedia article on Sitchin, which states "Sitchin's theories are not accepted by scientists and academics who dismiss his work as pseudohistory and pseudoscience. Sitchin's work has been criticized for flawed methodology and mistranslations of ancient texts as well as for incorrect astronomical and scientific claims."

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Regarding von Däniken:
Skeptic's Guide To Erich Von Daniken wrote:
The idea that in ancient times the Earth had been visited by beings from other worlds has gained in popularity with the general public. The chief promoter of this idea? Erich von Däniken, author of Chariots of the Gods, Return of the Gods, Arrival of the Gods and Return to the Stars amongst others.
Apart from the fact that he got his own name right, it is difficult to find any other factual material in his books.

Consider too, that, if he is right, then the vast knowledge from thousands of scholars in the fields of archeology, geology, andhistory, must be discarded. For, unlike scientists who spend a lifetime studying and researching ancient sites and artifacts, von Däniken is able to drop in on a site, perhaps spending as long as a few days, and immediately becomes an expert, able to see ‘evidence’ of alien influences.

So, do we accept the claims of a man prone to exaggeration, or the careful research of thousands of learned scholars? That decision is yours to make.
Wikipedia: Erich von Däniken
— Garrison Keillor

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:57 pm

For Christmas, i suggest you to offer to your family or friend, or to ask them: the Dictionary of the Lover of Sky and Stars by Trinh Xuan Thuan, an astrophysicist and professor of Astronomy.
Also, i recommend you the book Life in Space: Astrobiology for Everyone, by Lucas John Mix, a researcher in Astrobiology.

They are really both great books!

Céline :)
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:01 am

In addition to
  • The Magic of Recluce
    The Towers of the Sunset
    Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free,
the kid is getting
  • The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design
    Essays on the Great Depression
    Treasury of the Lost Litter Box: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
    FoxTrot the Works
    In the Land of Invented Languages: Adventures in Linguistic Creativity, Madness, and Genius
    The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
    Math, Science, and Unix Underpants: A Themed FoxTrot Collection.
I might be getting The Mind's Eye (Oliver Sacks) and Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void (Mary Roach) because I haven't wrapped them for anyone else yet. :mrgreen: