The Value of Digg to APOD

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
makc
Commodore

Re: The Value of Digg to APOD

Post by makc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:36 pm

I opened up apod in firefox today, with firebug net panel opened. all I saw 2 requests to antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov (5 kb html + 241 kb picture) and 4 requests to digg (2kb, 947 bytes, 406 bytes and 10kb, that took 531ms, 296ms, 313ms and 1.44s correspondingly). NOthing to bitch about, imho, and it still loads from digg.com only. Maybe you now have something that acts as a webserver on your machine (127.0.0.1), and it takes a while to figure that it cannot serve digg URLs? Misc hardware vendor CDs just love doing this, or maybe you have some backdoor app running :twisted:

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Re: The Value of Digg to APOD

Post by apodman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:54 am

makc wrote:or maybe you have some backdoor app running
I definitely have some malware remnants that appear now and then. The cleaners don't do a thorough job, and I kill known evil processes I have identified manually after I boot. A crude method for a cyber-savvy individual who should just reinstall WinXP clean, I admit. But I sliced and diced my local troubleshooting nine ways before and after my last post, and can't find anything that might be responsible for the problem that I started observing last month and continue to observe daily. I've resigned myself to living with it. Some day when I get around to sweeping my side of the street, I'll let you know what happens. Thanks makc for checking it out; a mentat needs data.