Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Where am I?

Post by Beyond » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:44 am

haha, are you haveing a lot of cloudy days where you are on earth, Moonlady :?: If so, it would seem that the solution to your puzzle, is a star that no-one wishes upon. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:02 am

I am the sun and Moonlady doesnt get any sight of me, because in her location several hills around the city traps clouds and fogs and that does prevent the sight of me.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 am

Well, it's time for me to get some sleep before you come out of hiding, Mr. sun. Have a good non-night. :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:40 am

So it's the Sun?

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I was reminded of this a couple of MORNINGS ago. What was I looking at? (Yes, it was astronomical)

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:45 pm

The only thing astronomical that anyway resembles a teapot, that i can think of is:
The Pleiades. I used to refer to them as a scoop with a handle, until i found out what they really are. :lol2:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Beyond wrote:The only thing astronomical that anyway resembles a teapot, that i can think of is:
The Pleiades. I used to refer to them as a scoop with a handle, until i found out what they really are. :lol2:
Good try - but no coconut! (i.e. WRONG! :wink: )

Try again?

M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Beyond, why are you hiding your replies?

Is it Sagittarius? http://www.space.com/8714-cosmic-teapot ... r-sky.html

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Moonlady wrote:Beyond, why are you hiding your replies?

Give the lady a coconut! :lol2:

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/sgr-t.html The upside-down Little Milk Dipper of Sagittarius dominates the upper center of the photograph, its handle sticking into the Milky Way. Nunki is the upper right hand star of the bowl. Sagittarius' "bow" starts at the end of the Little Milk Dipper's handle and bends down and to the left (from top to bottom, Kaus Borealis, Kaus Media, and Kaus Australis). The arrow runs from the center of the bow down and to the right and points to the center of the Galaxy (GC) in the dark clouds of the Milky Way, seen running from upper right to lower center. X Sgr is the bright star just above the Galactic Center. The bow, arrow, and the Little Milk Dipper together make "the "Teapot." The cluster M 7 in Scorpius is seen just to the right of bottom center; Scorpius's two star "Stinger" is at the bottom edge. The Lagoon Nebula, M 8, lies just to the left of the Winter Solstice. Down and to the left of the Little Milk Dipper curls the semi-circle of Corona Australis, the Southern Crown. See the wide field of constellations around Sagittarius. At lower right is Theta Ophiuchi.
I can NOT make a figure of a centaur and bow from the stars of Sagittarius, but the TEAPOT is beautifully clear.
And now I'm back to my studies!
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:37 pm

That's a good question, Moonlady. Maybe I'll figure it out some day. :lol2:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Say... isn't Sagittarius the half horse half human with a bow?? I wonder how many other things could be seen by connecting the stars differently?

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Beyond wrote:Say... isn't Sagittarius the half horse half human with a bow?? I wonder how many other things could be seen by connecting the stars differently?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittar ... #section_3
Wikipedia
The Babylonians identified Sagittarius as the god Nerigal or Nergal, a strange centaur-like creature firing an arrow from a bow.[17] It is generally depicted with wings, with two heads, one panther head and one human head, as well as a scorpion's stinger raised above its more conventional horse's tail. The Sumerian name Pabilsag is composed of two elements – Pabil, meaning 'elder paternal kinsman' and Sag, meaning 'chief, head'. The name may thus be translated as the 'Forefather' or 'Chief Ancestor'.[18] The figure is reminiscent of modern depictions of Sagittarius.

In Greek mythology, Sagittarius is identified as a centaur: half human, half horse. In some legends, the Centaur Chiron was the son of Philyra and Saturn, who was said to have changed himself into a horse to escape his jealous wife, Rhea. Chiron was eventually immortalised in the constellation of Centaurus or in some version, Sagittarius.[citation needed]

The arrow of this constellation points towards the star Antares, the "heart of the scorpion."
To me, it looks like a teapot!
Margarita

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Beyond wrote:

That's a good question, Moonlady. Maybe I'll figure it out some day. :lol2:
Beyond
I thought you would keep going with your tradition, now I am confused

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Tradition :?: What tradition :?: :?: Now you've got me confused. :lol2:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 pm

a1737_3998.jpg
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm

I remember seeing that someplace, but not really paying attention to what it's about. Oh well.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Beyond wrote:I remember seeing that someplace, but not really paying attention to what it's about. Oh well.
Well - that will teach you to Pay More Attention! :mrgreen: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Well, Margarita, I have no idea, so I will be... rambling!

First of all, it looks like something out of a science fiction movie. All those shiny things could be "pods" of some kind, holding alien pupae or maybe human embryos mass produced in order to become slaves, or worse. (Remember Matrix?)

Or else this could be some sort of scientific plant of some sort, probably built in order to look into some aspect of space. I'm thinking of those large subterranean "pools" of water, whose aim is to capture neutrinos.

Maybe. But probably not.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:30 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
Beyond wrote:I remember seeing that someplace, but not really paying attention to what it's about. Oh well.
Well - that will teach you to Pay More Attention! :mrgreen: :lol2:
I'm poor. I can't afford to 'pay' much attention. :lol2: However, i think it may go to what Ann was 'rambling' about. A detector of some kind.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Ann wrote,
I'm thinking of those large subterranean "pools" of water, whose aim is to capture neutrinos.
AWW!! I thought you'd take a bit longer to get THIS one!

For an bunch of flowers - do you know where it is?
Margarita

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Super-Kamiokande or Super-K for short, a neutrino observatory in the city of Hida, Gifu Prefecture, Japan.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 pm

stephen63 wrote:Super-Kamiokande or Super-K for short, a neutrino observatory in the city of Hida, Gifu Prefecture, Japan.
cheering.jpeg
COR! (English expletive expressing surprise)
Well, I'm going to post the info I had prepared ANYWAY!
Where?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Kamiokande

What? Mending a broken neutrino detector at Super-Kamiokande neutrino observatory.
Photo from Kamioka Observatory, Institute for Cosmic Ray Research, The University of Tokyo
(according to May, Moore and Lintott in "Bang! The History of the Universe" and according to Google images - but I can't find it on the ICRR website.)

Connection with astronomy
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino ... #section_3
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Hey :!: Doesn't stephen63 get a bunch of flowers :?: :?:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Beyond wrote:Hey :!: Doesn't stephen63 get a bunch of flowers :?: :?:
Bouquet.jpg
Healthy_bowl_of_fruit.jpg
chocolate_cake.jpeg
Margarita :lol2:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Now just where did i insist that Stephen63 likes flowers :?: :?: I figured that if you were going to give them to Ann for coming up with where the detector is, that you would give them to anyone who came up with the right answer. After all... you never mentioned chocolate cake or fruit then. :no: