Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Where am I?

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:17 am

Is it relevant that the jewels seem to be PEARLS? Not diamonds?
And I'd still not have a clue what the astronomical significance might be.
.... Ponder.... Pause.... Oh, I don't know... I might have ... But not if the significant jewels are pearls!
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:34 am

MargaritaMc wrote:Is it relevant that the jewels seem to be PEARLS? Not diamonds?
And I'd still not have a clue what the astronomical significance might be.
.... Ponder.... Pause.... Oh, I don't know... I might have ... But not if the significant jewels are pearls!
Margarita
It is not at all relevant that the jewels are pearls, no! But the fact that there are jewels at all is crucial. And their "container" is actually equally important!

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:49 am

The CONTAINER??! oh help - I need another cup of coffee to wake my brain up!

Is the MIRROR of significance?

Did you play the guessing game of 'Hot or Cold' when you were a child? Also called "I spy with my little eye something beginning with ..[letter of alphabet]" . When you made a guess you would ask 'Am I hot or cold?'.
So - am I hot or cold??

M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 am

I'm afraid you are quite cold, Margarita.

I can tell you that my two objects are located in a constellation that is quite famous. I, however, have never seen this constellation, and you probably haven't either.

One of my objects is very easy to see in binoculars. It is not an obscure object, and it has a well-known name.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 am

Mmm. OK - thinking cap back on. And that coffee I've been promising myself!
M

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 am

MargaritaMc wrote:Mmm. OK - thinking cap back on. And that coffee I've been promising myself!
M
Oh- what a dimwit!
The Jewel Box and the Coalsack Nebula in the Southern Cross! :lol2: :lol2:

I was fixating on having read about those diamond stars and planets!

Now I really am going to get that coffee!
M

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 am

Here's a cup of coffee for you, Margarita! You deserve it. :D

Welcome back with the next puzzle!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:26 pm

I just have to post a picture of the Jewel Box, so that you can see it. This delightful image is by Robert Gendler.

If you want to see the Coalsack and the Jewel Box together in Crux, then check out http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=100. Look at page 5 of the March 2013 Recent Submissions, and scroll down to the 13th picture from the top. Here you can see Ian P's great picture of Crux. The Coalsack is the large dark splotch at middle-lower left, and the Jewel Box is the small bright compact cluster at about nine o'clock.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank you for my lovely cup of coffee!
And here is my question:
clue.jpg
Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Okay, Margarita, I'm musing aloud!

The picture shows a snake, or rather, two snakes. Snakes, when tamed, have been symbols of healing in antiquity. There is a story in the Old Testament about Moses healing the Israelis with a snake.

Is there a symbol of healing in the sky? Not that I'm aware of.
There is, however, a "snake constellation". In fact, there are two. There is Serpens Caput, The Snake's Head, and Serpens Cauda, The Snake's Tail. The picture shows Serpens Caput on the right, Serpens Cauda on the left, and Ophiuchus, the Snake-carrier, in the middle.

Well, Margarita, that's as far I can think right now!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Okay, I see that Hippocrates, the "father of medicine" and an incredibly important name in medicine during antiquity, has had a crater named after him on the Moon.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Ann wrote:I just have to post a picture of the Jewel Box, so that you can see it. This delightful image is by Robert Gendler.

If you want to see the Coalsack and the Jewel Box together in Crux, then check out http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=100. Look at page 5 of the March 2013 Recent Submissions, and scroll down to the 13th picture from the top. Here you can see Ian P's great picture of Crux. The Coalsack is the large dark splotch at middle-lower left, and the Jewel Box is the small bright compact cluster at about nine o'clock.

Ann
Something wrong here, Ann. Everytime i click on the viewtopic you gave, i always end up at the top of page 5 of the March 2013 submissions with a picture of Aldearan, Epsilon Tauri, Jupiter.
No sack of coal or jewels.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Ann wrote:Okay, I see that Hippocrates, the "father of medicine" and an incredibly important name in medicine during antiquity, has had a crater named after him on the Moon.

Ann
Not Hippocrates.

If you can discover what that symbol is called and whose symbol it was then you should be halfway there.
M

PS. The symbol is the whole thing - staff, snakes and wings
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Beyond wrote:
Ann wrote:I just have to post a picture of the Jewel Box, so that you can see it. This delightful image is by Robert Gendler.

Ann
Something wrong here, Ann. Everytime i click on the viewtopic you gave, i always end up at the top of page 5 of the March 2013 submissions with a picture of Aldearan, Epsilon Tauri, Jupiter.
Yes, but you have to scroll down to the 13th picture from the top!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:21 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
Ann wrote:Okay, I see that Hippocrates, the "father of medicine" and an incredibly important name in medicine during antiquity, has had a crater named after him on the Moon.

Ann
Not Hippocrates.

If you can discover what that symbol is called and whose symbol it was then you should be halfway there.
M

PS. The symbol is the whole thing - staff, snakes and wings
Oh! Hermes? That is, Mercury?

Ann
Color Commentator

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Ann, you beat me to it!

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:26 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :yes: :yes:

Give the lady a BIG HAND!!

OVER TO YOU
Margarita

PS - I'm off for a siesta now, after a HUGE lunch!
PPS - the staff of Hermes is called a
caduceus
:?:
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey - when I was a kid, I loved Superman, really. So I bought a lot of Superman comics, much to my mother's consternation. Sometimes in the Superman comics, Superman joined up with the Justice League, and one of the members of the Justice League was the Flash. The Flash wore a really tight-fitting red dress and yellow boots with wings on them. He had "wing things" over his ears, too. I thought he looked pretty stupid because of those "ear wings".

Later, however, I thought that the Flash was probably modelled after Hermes, messenger for the gods. And Hermes, of course, was Mercury to the Romans.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Ann wrote:
Beyond wrote:

Ann
Yes, but you have to scroll down to the 13th picture from the top!

Ann
Ah... When i first read it, i thought it was 2-different things. I was "got" by that one. :oops: :lol2: Just because it's daytime, it doesn't mean you're awake :!:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Ann wrote:If you want to see the Coalsack and the Jewel Box together in Crux, then check out http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=100. Look at page 5 of the March 2013 Recent Submissions, and scroll down to the 13th picture from the top. Here you can see Ian P's great picture of Crux. The Coalsack is the large dark splotch at middle-lower left, and the Jewel Box is the small bright compact cluster at about nine o'clock.
Beyond wrote:Something wrong here, Ann. Everytime i click on the viewtopic you gave, i always end up at the top of page 5 of the March 2013 submissions with a picture of Aldearan, Epsilon Tauri, Jupiter.
Ann wrote:Yes, but you have to scroll down to the 13th picture from the top!
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 76#p195576

Credit: ESO, ESA/Hubble and Digitized Sky Survey 2.
Acknowledgment: Davide De Martin (ESA/Hubble)
For a wide field image of the Coal Sack, Jewel Box, and Mimosa

Opening up a Colourful Cosmic Jewel Box
http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso0940/
http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/heic0913/

A wide-field image of the region around NGC 4755 (the Jewel Box, κ Crucis) constructed from data from the Digitized Sky Survey 2. The bright star is Mimosa (β Crucis), one of the four stars in Crux, the Southern Cross. The darkness towards the bottom of the image is part of the Coal Sack, a vast area of obscuring dust easily visible to the unaided eye. The field of view is approximately 2.8 degrees x 2.9 degrees, or about 40 times the area of the Full Moon.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:35 pm

This is my puzzle. Two answers are equally possible!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:08 pm

OOH! NICE picture!! Doesn't do me any good for a clue :lol2: , so i think I'll just enjoy the picture for awhile.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Here's one more clue, then. In this picture you can see a little girl with a white dwarf bunny.

But NEITHER OF THE OBJECTS I'm asking about is a white dwarf!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Well, even though the diamond picture doesn't show one, is there such a thing as a dwarf whirlpool nebula?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Hey Ann, is this close :?:
Teardrop or whirlpool nebula