Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Where am I?

Post by bystander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Barney Fife & a 3-jet roll. Barnard's something? I'll go cheat and peek under bystander's spoiler. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Beyond wrote:Barney Fife & a 3-jet roll. Barnard's something? I'll go cheat and peek under bystander's spoiler. :mrgreen:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm

I guess it could be referring to Cygnus Loop Shock Cloud Interaction

The guy looks like shocked and the loops made by gas clouds leads me to this.

The XA region of the Cygnus Loop is a complex zone of radiative and nonradiatve shocks interacting with interstellar clouds. We combine five far ultraviolet spectral observations from the Hopkins Ultraviolet Telescope (HUT), a grid of 24 IUE spectra, and a high-resolution long-slit Hα spectrum to study the spatial emission line variations across the region. These spectral data are placed in context using ground-based optical emission-line images of the region and a far-UV image obtained by the Ultraviolet Imaging Telescope (UIT). The presence of high-ionization species (O VI, N V, and C IV) indicates a shock velocity near 170 km s-1 while other diagnostics indicate vsh ≈ 140 km s-1. It is likely that a large range of shock velocities may exist at a spatial scale smaller than we are able to resolve. By comparing C IV λ1550, C III λ977, and C III] λ1909, we explore resonance scattering across the region. We find that a significant column depth is present at all positions, including those not near bright optical or UV filaments. Analysis of the O VI doublet ratio suggests an average optical depth of about unity in that ion, while flux measurements of [Si VIII] λ1443 suggest a hot component in the region at just below 106 K. Given the brightness of the O VI emission and the age of the interaction, we rule out the mixing-layer interpretation of the UV emission. Furthermore, we formulate a picture of the XA region as that of an encounter of the blast wave with a finger of dense gas protruding inward from the pre-supernova cavity.
Attachments
cygnus loop shock
cygnus loop shock
cygnus loop shock.jpg (1.86 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 am

I don't recognize the guy, but I'm guessing that the answer to the puzzle is Barnard's Loop. If so, bystander got it.

I just love the picture of that loop! :D :D :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:22 am

stephen63, where are you? We need the answer to your question (although I really do think bystander got the right answer).

But since there has been no other puzzle posted, I'll contribute something. To me, this one is really quite easy!

Noctilucent clouds.
Photo: Lonnie Jackson.
We are Portuguese! This is our flag: Image

We have something in common with noctilucent clouds. :wink:

There are two of us! Image

Ann
Color Commentator

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Sorry all, Bystander got it right. I thought it was understood.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Err - The Magellanic Clouds??
Margarita
Ann wrote:stephen63, where are you? We need the answer to your question (although I really do think bystander got the right answer).

But since there has been no other puzzle posted, I'll contribute something. To me, this one is really quite easy!

Noctilucent clouds.
Photo: Lonnie Jackson.
We are Portuguese! This is our flag: Image

We have something in common with noctilucent clouds. :wink:

There are two of us! Image

Ann
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks Margarita, now the clues make sense. :lol2:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Beyond wrote:Thanks Margarita, now the clues make sense. :lol2:
But knowing how fiendish Ann's questions are, the answer might be something totally different!
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:48 pm

haha, yeah, school teachers can wield information so brutally :!: :!: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Margarita, you got it!
I award you a jacaranda tree in bloom! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Ann wrote:Margarita, you got it!
I award you a jacaranda tree in bloom! :D

Ann
Wow!! That is bee-yoo-ti-ful! Thank you :mrgreen:
I will try to think up a question - tho' I observe that the rules have slightly changed since I last visited this thread.
Margarita

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Okay!

Although I once won by a nose, loony and warlike people now see me as the pits.
Who and where am I?

Margarita
PS - two answers are needed!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Tycho Brahe, an astronomer with a prothestic nose.
Tycho Brahe, the prominent but nose-less 16th century Danish astronomer?

The Tycho crater on the Moon?

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Good so far --- that is the loony people pit. What about the warlike people??
M

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Gads :!: You two were made for each other. You both have so much 'stuff' that you can put together with just about everything. You two would seem to be the Asterisk* version of the Gemini Twins. Like Double-mint gum, we have to 'chew' your clues. ((at least me, anyway. But I'm usually still trying to chew after someone has solved your puzzles)) :lol2: :lol2:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Beyond wrote:Gads :!: You two were made for each other. You both have so much 'stuff' that you can put together with just about everything. You two would seem to be the Asterisk* version of the Gemini Twins. Like Double-mint gum, we have to 'chew' your clues. ((at least me, anyway. But I'm usually still trying to chew after someone has solved your puzzles)) :lol2: :lol2:
I'm very flattered to be a twin with Ann!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:04 pm

PS. For non-elderly Brits, the original Beverly sisters included twins, plus the older sister. Very popular when I wuz growing up in the last millennium...
M

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Good expression, Margarita! I just usually say "last century", which makes things seem 'older', but i never thought of it as also a millennium change. That really makes things seem old. :old: :yes: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks, Margarita, I love the idea of being sisters with you! :D

But your puzzle, hmmm! That's too hard. I have found one lunar crater that could be named after a warlike person, or at least after someone who was a soldier in a war. (Actually, he was a commander.) The crater is Plinius, but you English-speaking people use the word Pliny to describe the man who was - or so I think anyway - the man whose name was given to the crater.

Okay, my guess is Pliny! (Surely you don't mean the crater named Picard, do you?) Image

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Ann wrote:Thanks, Margarita, I love the idea of being sisters with you!

But your puzzle, hmmm! That's too hard. I have found one lunar crater that could be named after a warlike person, or at least after someone who was a soldier in a war. (Actually, he was a commander.) The crater is Plinius, but you English-speaking people use the word Pliny to describe the man who was - or so I think anyway - the man whose name was given to the crater.

Okay, my guess is Pliny! (Surely you don't mean the crater named Picard, do you?) Image

Ann
NO, not the delectable Jean Luc nor Pliny...

Hint:
Who is the God of War? ... Then..... Check Wikipedia's article on Tycho Brahe and various things named after him .... And perhaps I should have said that BOTH loony AND warlike people now see me as the PITS.

Night night!
M

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Oh! I just discovered that there is a Tycho Brahe crater on Mars! So there is a lunar Tycho crater for loony people and a Martian (martial?) Tycho Brahe crater for warlike people!

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Ann wrote:Oh! I just discovered that there is a Tycho Brahe crater on Mars! So there is a lunar Tycho crater for loony people and a Martian (martial?) Tycho Brahe crater for warlike people!

Ann
YES!!! :lol2:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe#section_1
While studying at University of Rostock[12] in Germany, on 29 December 1566 Tycho lost part of his nose in a sword duel against fellow Danish nobleman (and his third cousin), Manderup Parsberg.[13][14] Tycho had earlier quarrelled with Parsbjerg over the legitimacy of a mathematic formula, at a wedding dance at professor Lucas Bachmeister's house on the 10th, and again on the 27th. Since neither had the resources to prove the other wrong, they ended up resolving the issue with a duel.[15] Though the two later reconciled, the duel two days later (in the dark) resulted in Tycho losing the bridge of his nose.
The crater Tycho on the Moon is named after him, as is the crater Tycho Brahe on Mars.
cheering.jpeg
Over to you - and I'm going to finish my cocoa and go to sleep!
Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 am

So what are these pictures, and why do they go together?

Ann
Color Commentator