Where New Horizons is

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Where New Horizons is

Post by Beyond » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:25 pm

ARF! It would seem that we have run out of puns for Pluto.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Beyond wrote:
ARF! It would seem that we have run out of puns for Pluto.
You weren't supposed to be counting :!:
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm NOT counting :!: There's no more names available. Pluto needs more named offspring circling's :!: :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Beyond wrote:I'm NOT counting :!: There's no more names available. Pluto needs more named offspring circling's :!: :!:
Maybe New Horizons will find some (if we don't count out chickens).

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:13 am

Nitpicker wrote:
Maybe New Horizons will find some [moons] (that aren't already known of).
Maybe New Horizons will crash into one (that isn't already known of).
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:29 am

That seems so amazingly unlikely the more I think on it. I also find it hard to believe that the Pluto system is much more complicated than we've already discovered it to be but finding new moonlets seems a lot more likely than crashing into one.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 am

geckzilla wrote:
That seems so amazingly unlikely the more I think on it. I also find it hard to believe that the Pluto system is much more complicated than we've already discovered it to be but finding new moonlets seems a lot more likely than crashing into one.
  • Well rings & dust, at least, had the New Horizons folks spooked for quite a while.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Horizons#Pluto_flyby wrote: <<During and after closest approach, the Venetia Burney Student Dust Counter (VBSDC) will search for dust, inferring meteoroid collision rates and any invisible rings. Built by students at the University of Colorado at Boulder, the Student Dust Counter will operate continuously through the trajectory to make dust measurements. It consists of a detector panel, about 18 by 12 inches (460 × 300 mm), mounted on the antisolar face of the spacecraft (the ram direction), and an electronics box within the spacecraft. The detector contains fourteen PVDF panels, twelve science and two reference, which generate voltage when impacted. Effective collecting area is 0.125 m2. No dust counter has operated past the orbit of Uranus; models of dust in the outer Solar System, especially the Kuiper belt, are speculative. VBSDC is always turned on measuring the masses of the interplanetary and interstellar dust particles (in the range of nano- and picograms) as they collide with the PVDF panels mounted on the New Horizons spacecraft. The measured data shall greatly contribute to the understanding of the dust spectra of the Solar System. The dust spectra can then be compared with those observed via telescope of other stars, giving new clues as to where earthlike planets can be found in our universe. The dust counter is named for Venetia Burney, who first suggested the name "Pluto" at the age of 11.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

In less then 500 days; closest encounter opperations begin! 8-) http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer

The 500 days of Stepanek, Orin's

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:21 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
In less then 500 days; closest encounter opperations begin! 8-) http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Here's a proposed LEGO set that could use some love and support.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 pm

It is taking 8 hours to send a message to New Horizons and get a reply! So any maneuvering of the probe has to be well planned for! :wink: :)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:02 pm

owlice wrote:Here's a proposed LEGO set that could use some love and support.
Hey owlice; that toy made the New Horizons news page! :wink: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/news_center/news/20131213.php
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Orin

neufer

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying."

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
New horizons is getting busy! :D http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/news_center/news/20140106.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_%28mythology%29 wrote:
<<Pluto (Greek: Πλούτων, Ploutōn) was the ruler of the underworld in classical mythology. The earlier name for the god was Hades. In ancient Greek religion and myth, Pluto represents a more positive concept of the god who presides over the afterlife. Ploutōn was frequently conflated with Ploutos (Πλοῦτος, Plutus), a god of wealth, because mineral wealth was found underground, and because as a chthonic god Pluto ruled the deep earth that contained the seeds necessary for a bountiful harvest. The name Ploutōn came into widespread usage with the Eleusinian Mysteries, in which Pluto was venerated as a stern ruler but the loving husband of Persephone. The couple received souls in the afterlife, and are invoked together in religious inscriptions. Hades by contrast had few temples and religious practices associated with him, and is portrayed as the dark and violent abductor of Persephone.>>
Art Neuendorffer

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:10 pm

NASA Science News for Jan. 14, 2014
Eight years after it left Earth, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft is approaching Pluto. The encounter begins less than a year from now.

FULL STORY:http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... jan_pluto/

VIDEO:
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
It would require a truly bizarre sort of logic to conclude that a "dwarf planet" isn't also a "planet".

In the context of the original passage, "dwarf planet" would be a poor choice, since the comparison was being made between the distance that New Horizons has traveled in its goal to reach a particular planet, and the distance that other probes traveled to reach different planets.

This provides an excellent example of just why "planet" is more useful without a rigorous definition.
I've come late to this party, but... Chris, what you said back in 2005 seems to imply that there is an unknown number of planets in our own solar system, doesn't it?

Maybe if Kepler had still been functioning, we might have had it scrutinize our own solar system once in a while and not just make it stare at other stars.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Ann wrote:I've come late to this party, but... Chris, what you said back in 2005 seems to imply that there is an unknown number of planets in our own solar system, doesn't it?
Yup. Using my preferred definition (which is very general) there are probably well upwards of 100 spherical bodies that formed in the presolar nebula and are still in orbit around the Sun.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:32 pm

New Horizons on youtube!
Orin

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Yeah, that video was made by 9th PLANET Productions, not 1st Dwarf Productions.

Down with Dwarf labels in astronomy. Replanetize Pluto! Dedwarf the Sun!

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm

I'm as much a Pluto fan as the next person, but it seems to me there might be some people at "9th Planet Productions" with a dwarf planet complex. Until Pluto can break free of its resonance with Neptune, it doesn't make the planet list in my solar system. I am still very fond of Pluto, but it is what it is.

I wonder if Australia was re-classified as a dwarf nation, would it provide the impetus for the Australian people to break ties with the British monarchy? I often wonder if Britain might become a republic (again) before Australia. Still, I do like the idea of outsourcing a head of state, especially one whose continued existence is only through inaction.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Nitpicker wrote:Still, I do like the idea of outsourcing a head of state, especially one whose continued existence is only through inaction.
What do you mean by "inaction"? I hear she spends money like it's going out of style. Actually, that seems to be a characteristic of most heads of state.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:10 am

Oh, I'm sure she keeps herself busy! I meant HRH does not get involved in Australian politics, because it would spell the end of the monarchy in Australia. Strange world.