APOD: NGC 1360: The Robin's Egg Nebula (2023 Aug 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: NGC 1360: The Robin's Egg Nebula (2023 Aug 05)

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:52 am

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:54 pm
Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:48 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:37 pm

Gimp is a free image processing and manipulation program available for Windows, Mac and Linux:

Huh. I'd need someone to help me install it, and then someone to show me how to use it. Primarily for finding out about the exact color of an image, or more likely, of parts of an image.

Don't know if I can do that, so is it okay if I ask you again, Johnny?

Ann
Does this work for you - https://www.colorcodepicker.com ? You just upload an image and you can then move your mouse over it and it displays the RGB values.
Wow! That seems very helpful, indeed. Of course, there is still the hex code...

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:34 am

VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:11 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:31 pm
VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:22 pm neither the Robin's Egg Nebula nor a robin's egg have a colour hue or a wavelength.
Both look like some indigo ink that thickens white to pale cyan to blue to dark violet to black.
The egg shell has a pretty uniform hue. The image of the egg does not because of the intensity variations. Even with a hue created by a very narrow wavelength, there is no single color (or meaningful RGB representation) because the actual color is defined by intensity as well as hue.
here's a fragment of the pic of a robin's egg
Robin's Egg-.jpg
You can see that a point of the sun's reflection is white; here the random movement of a photon scattered by CaCO₂ crystallites is minimal and chances for an ink molecule to absorb that photon is minimal.
The wider the angle from the sun's reflection the greater is the distance a typical photon travels through the egg's shell material before coming out along your line of sight. That is exactly what thickening a dye means.

There's a limit to that thickening here: a robin's egg has a thin shell with a budget quantity of ink and just white matter beneath.
So the longest travellers among photons get to pass through the shell and scatter from the white.
You can see just white to pale cyan to cyan-blue, no blue to dark violet to black
The hue is uniform. You're referring to a geometric effect.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:34 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:52 am
Ann wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:48 pm

Huh. I'd need someone to help me install it, and then someone to show me how to use it. Primarily for finding out about the exact color of an image, or more likely, of parts of an image.

Don't know if I can do that, so is it okay if I ask you again, Johnny?

Ann
Does this work for you - https://www.colorcodepicker.com ? You just upload an image and you can then move your mouse over it and it displays the RGB values.

Ann
The hex code is there as well, or else I'm not understanding what you mean:

colorcodepicker website example.jpg
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:59 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:34 pm
Ann wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:52 am

Ann
The hex code is there as well, or else I'm not understanding what you mean:

colorcodepicker website example.jpg
Oh yes, it's there! It was very careless of me to miss it.

Ann
Color Commentator

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:30 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:34 am
VictorBorun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:11 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:31 pm

The egg shell has a pretty uniform hue. The image of the egg does not because of the intensity variations. Even with a hue created by a very narrow wavelength, there is no single color (or meaningful RGB representation) because the actual color is defined by intensity as well as hue.
here's a fragment of the pic of a robin's egg
Robin's Egg-.jpg
You can see that a point of the sun's reflection is white; here the random movement of a photon scattered by CaCO₂ crystallites is minimal and chances for an ink molecule to absorb that photon is minimal.
The wider the angle from the sun's reflection the greater is the distance a typical photon travels through the egg's shell material before coming out along your line of sight. That is exactly what thickening a dye means.

There's a limit to that thickening here: a robin's egg has a thin shell with a budget quantity of ink and just white matter beneath.
So the longest travellers among photons get to pass through the shell and scatter from the white.
You can see just white to pale cyan to cyan-blue, no blue to dark violet to black
The hue is uniform. You're referring to a geometric effect.
You are right and I was partly wrong.
Here I try to compare two ways to make the picture fragment of the robin's egg more uniform:
1) to adjust the input range of RGB; that's a transformation that keeps the hue
2) to adjust gamma; that's a transformation that keeps the sort of the dye and just makes it thinner or thicker
hue or dye 0.jpg
hue or dye 0.jpg (7.24 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
hue or dye - input range.jpg
hue or dye - input range.jpg (8.76 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
hue or dye - gamma.jpg
hue or dye - gamma.jpg (8.43 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
You can see that both ways are successful and that the hue-preserving one is doing even better, discarding my claim that there is no hue.
There is a hue, and it is cyan, and it is primary.
There are 6 primary hues: red, yellow, green, cyan, violet, pink.
A dye of a primary hue can be thinned or thickened without changing its hue.

I still claim that there is no hue to this APOD cyan nebula: it is a blue (a.k.a. an indigo), not a primary stuff, showing the range of hues cyan to violet.