APOD: Galaxy Evolution Tracking Animation (2016 May 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Galaxy Evolution Tracking Animation (2016 May 30)

Post by Ann » Tue May 31, 2016 4:04 am

I want to clarify that I'm not suggesting that black holes cause the mass concentrations in the early universe. I'm just saying that if a lot of mass is being concentrated at certain "nodes" in the early universe, black holes can be expected to form there.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 31, 2016 4:32 am

Ann wrote:I want to clarify that I'm not suggesting that black holes cause the mass concentrations in the early universe. I'm just saying that if a lot of mass is being concentrated at certain "nodes" in the early universe, black holes can be expected to form there.
I think it depends on the nature of the mass. Dark matter may not contribute to the formation of black holes. And if the ordinary matter is mostly stellar, that probably won't, either. What you need is gas and dust. Otherwise, there's nothing to transfer angular momentum and cause orbits to decay.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bt8

Post by bt8 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:46 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
bt7design wrote:So from this video representation, I'm getting that we think there were/are huge dense 'nodes' in spacetime?
(That attract all the galaxies?) Or is the super-bright area simply very large area where gravity is more powerful?
Spacetime doesn't have a density as such. Areas containing more mass (mostly dark matter) create stronger gravitational fields, which in turn means they influence other mass more strongly. This is no different from what we observe around us now- the only real difference was that the mass density was higher- there was more stuff in a given volume of the Universe than we observe in the same volume now. Not surprising, given the expansion of spacetime.
Thanks. That actually helps me make sense of it now. (More stuff in a given volume.) Cheers!

FayeKane_GirlBrain

They cheated

Post by FayeKane_GirlBrain » Tue May 31, 2016 1:48 pm

I call bullshirt on the animation. In the very first frame, the filaments (presumably dust) already exist. Dust falls into itself, creating massive objects in the preexisting filaments.

Show me a movie with the present geometry evolving from a nearly-random collection of hydrogen. Don't get me wrong,the observed configuration obviously evolved from a very sparse volume. It's just that this isn't a movie of it.

And no, quantum fluctuations don't feed the bulldog either.

-faye

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: They cheated

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 pm

FayeKane_GirlBrain wrote:I call bullshirt on the animation. In the very first frame, the filaments (presumably dust) already exist. Dust falls into itself, creating massive objects in the preexisting filaments.

Show me a movie with the present geometry evolving from a nearly-random collection of hydrogen. Don't get me wrong,the observed configuration obviously evolved from a very sparse volume. It's just that this isn't a movie of it.

And no, quantum fluctuations don't feed the bulldog either.
Please provide a list of your refereed papers on the subject of cosmology so that we can review your objections in more detail.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com