APOD: Yuri's Planet (2013 Apr 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
redstar
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Yuri's Planet (2013 Apr 12)

Post by redstar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Noticed bright Jupiter and Aldebaran above Lake Erie

davepotter515

Post by davepotter515 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 pm

There seems to be a disconnect at the Block Island end of Long Island. Did someone paste two mosaic pieces together incorrectly, removing the entire state of Rhode Island? Cape Cod seems to be too close to Long Island.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 pm

davepotter515 wrote:There seems to be a disconnect at the Block Island end of Long Island. Did someone paste two mosaic pieces together incorrectly, removing the entire state of Rhode Island? Cape Cod seems to be too close to Long Island.
Yes, RH has been cut off, but it hasn't been replaced with anything else. It's simply outside the right edge of the picture.

If you open a map and draw a straight line from about Block Island to just east of Ottawa, that's the approximate right edge of the picture. Ottawa is the most northerly bright blob along the right edge of the pic. What you're perceiving as Cape Cod is, I think, the Hwy 95 area up towards Warwick. The brighter area above and to the left of that looks to me like the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield area.

Rob

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:30 am

Yup. the image looks pretty distorted in that corner. Since southern RI was my old stomping grounds, I'll mention that it is not entirely cut off. My birth city, Westerly, is the last little dot visible on coastline at the lower right.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist