Recent Submissions: 2011 October 24-28

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Recent Submissions

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 pm

As usual, there are many fine images here! :D

Miguel Claro, I really like your sunset birds image. The composition is great, but I'm also fascinated by the deep orange color of the sky. The light of the Sun is deeply reddened here. Imagine living under a sun which is intrinsically as orange as the Sun appears to be here, because of the reddening.

Tony Rowell, I really like your Orion Nebula and meteor image. I love the way your image looks like the "real" night sky, not too "exaggerated", but bursting with stars. Also, the colors are fascinating. At best, the bluest stars of Orion can stand out because of their blueness when seen through a telescope the way some of the stars do here, like the belt stars, as well as the Iota Orionis (just below the Orion Nebula) and Eta Orionis, a little above center of the image. As for color, it is also very interesting to compare the blue color of the stars with the green color of the meteor.

Speaking of green color, Comet Garradd looks very nice in your image, Chris Cook! Yuriy Toropin, your portrait of Comet Garradd is a little milder in color, but it is very beautiful.

I'm very happy to see Robert Gendler here, and I'm very happy indeed to see the great Hubble image of the extremely fascinating young Milky Way "super star cluster" NGC 3603 the way it looks when Robert has processed the image, making it look even more splendid. Note to the upper left of the compact cluster a bright star with powerful bipolar outflows. This could be our galaxy's next Eta Carina, or perhaps even the next supernova!

Richard Müller, I'm also very happy to see your image of IC 10 here. IC 10 is a dwarf galaxy, but it is also a starburst galaxy. It is extremely reddened by dust in our own galaxy, as we see it more or less right through the disk of the Milky Way in Cassiopeia. Note the "reddened color" of the galaxy and compare it with the bright blue star at five o'clock. That star goes by the charming name of TV Cas (what's on tonight, I wonder? :wink: ), and its spectral class is B9, but this star is a bit reddened, too. Even so, it looks incredibly blue compared with the galaxy.

Joe Bergeron, I just love your image of a flaring fireball and a red aurora. That blue-white-green color of the flaring fireball is exactly the color I see every dark morning when it is misty and cool outside, and water or even ice gathers on the power lines for the trains, and when a train comes by, dragging its power conductor over the icy power lines, do they flash and sparkle! My goodness! And the color of the light they make is exactly like the color of your flashing meteor! That soft red aurora sure looks good, too, just like the starry background with the Pleiades, the Hyades, the Alpha Persei moving group and mighty king Jupiter at upper right.

I found the Andromeda Galaxy Core with Planetary Nebulae and Novae very fascinating indeed. I would have liked it even better if the image had been annotated and pointed out the planetary nebulae and novae! But in any case, it is truly fascinating to see how the dust features orbit in ever tighter and smaller circles around Andromeda's black hole, not unlike water swirling around as it is going down the drain.

Robert Arn's images are always superb, and the Orion Meteor swarm is certainly no exception. The bright stellar haloes strongly emphasizing the brighter stars and the patterns they form in the sky, the distinctive pink nebulae, the slightly washed-out (moonlit?) but also very blue sky, the ghostly light blue band of the Milky Way, and the long, radiating, "pixellated patterns" of the meteors make for a dreamy, beautiful and almost "unreal" image.

Martin Pugh is the first person here to post ghostly nebulae. There are several others here doing the same - Tibor Pósán, Alistair Symon and Jerry Lodriguss, too, and your nebulae all look good (and spooky)! Thanks!

Efrain Morales, I really, really like your very handsome Jupiter images (not that your Sun picture isn't very striking too), and you Pic du Midi people posted a truly lovely vimeo of Jupiter rotating! How handsome it looks!

geissi, I really like your two NGC 7380 images. I very much appreciate that you posted both an RGB and a mapped color narrowband image.

Bob Franke, that's a very beautiful and colorful Pelican Nebula. You are the one who got an APOD the other day with your great image of edge-on galaxy NGC 4565, aren't you?

Bertrand Kulik, what a truly splendid rainbow over Paris you have photographed!

Florian Kainz, I find your image of sunlight reflected in a tall building very interesting.

Michał Żołnowski, that's a very nice image of the Pelican Nebula and the fifth magnitude A4-type star 56 Cygni.

Jesper Grønne, welcome back! I like your Cygnus image and how you don't "exaggerate" the red nebulosity. By "taking it easy" the way you do, you make it possible for us to judge how bright the various nebulae are. The Veil Nebula is really quite bright. I like the "ring of nebulosity" that seems to emanate from the North America Nebula and surround the Pelican Nebula.

DFS_Ellison, that's a fascinating narrowband Horsehead Nebula region image! Your image is dominated by the same deep golden, green and orange hues that dominate the foliage of October. And the brooding dark background of your image reminds me of the gathering autumn dusk.

Your solar image isn't bad, either! The Sun looks as if it has got some skin disease. Its "skin" is cracking open and revealing light blue blood! Our Sun must have royal ancestors!

Oh, and - photo student, I forgot. I like your golden sky medieval broadsword too, just like geckzilla!

Well, good job, all!

Ann
Color Commentator

capaleve
Asternaut

Re: Recent Submissions

Post by capaleve » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:29 pm

NGC 7000 - South
http://joaovieira.zenfolio.com
Copyright: Joao Vieira