Recent Submissions: 2010 September 18-20

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Recent Submissions: 2010 September 18-20

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:45 pm

LLacertae wrote:
It is somehow funny to see a crosslink to a picture I made some years ago.
You made that picture? It's really beautiful and so revealing!

Ann
Color Commentator

hotspur
Asternaut

Post by hotspur » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:54 pm

I recently posted a photo here called "Kangaroo Moon",I have also posted this photo to "Ice in Space" it is currently the "image of the week"

on that forums home page.

This photo is NOT a montage,I took this photo with a Vixen ED103 on a Vixen GP mount,with Vixen Sky Sensor 2000PC.Using a Canon 450D

set at 1/250 ISO 200,cable release-And nerves of still,one frame only!

I have watched this plane fly over our country property at 5.30PM every day,And over the years noticed it has flown very close to the

first quarter moon,and even seen it fly right across the disc a couple of times,I have set up to capture this event many times.

But last week-16th of September 2010 at 5.24.35pm everything lined up!,those final few moments to capture image-was a amazing feeling!

I do hope you go to "ice in space' read the link,and also see the photo and set up at time of event.

regards Chris Thomas-Australia

davidtrap
Asternaut

Post by davidtrap » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:34 am

Just another post in support of Chris' amazing timing with his Kangaroo Moon photo. I know Chris personally and enjoy visiting his "country property" to do a little astrophotography.

Knowing Chris is a genuine fellow, tells me that this image is not a montage. I was quite impressed that the thread on the IceInSpace forum had never mentioned that as a possibility. I'll admit, it IS a reasonable question. However, I know Chris doesn't have the Photoshop skills to do that - he won't mind me saying this as we joked about this very point on the phone (I don't have the skills either!) As OzRattler pointed out, the blurring of the moon by the exhausts from the engines would be extremely difficult to fake.

His photo is all about the 5 Ps of astrophotography - Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance! A self taught astronomer & photographer, carefully observing his environment, noticing the regularity of the plane's flightpath and when it would intersect with the moon.

Regards
David T