A complaint about complaints

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:05 am

NOT EVERYTHING ABOUT APOD IS GOOD. And it's ok to complain about it!
And it's OK to bark at the Moon.

The Moon will remain what it is.
Speculation ≠ Science

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:19 am

Dr. Skeptic wrote:
NOT EVERYTHING ABOUT APOD IS GOOD. And it's ok to complain about it!
And it's OK to bark at the Moon.

The Earth-Moon system's first 10/10/9/8 Haiku! Just reading it I feel tranquil. I can't wait to make it my mantra. Like I said, enlightening and entertaining. But here's the way modern physics works:

The pilot and co-pilot get on board wearing dark glasses. One has a white-tipped cane and the other a seeing-eye dog. The passengers are a bit concerned, but figure the airline knows what it is doing. The plane taxis for takeoff and gets close to the end of the runway with a mountain looming ahead. As they run out of runway, the passengers scream and the plane takes off safely. The pilot says to the co-pilot, "You know, one of these days nobody will scream and we'll all be killed."

The passengers think they are just barking dogs, but they don't realize it is they who give the moon the power to fly. Om.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:26 pm

Dr. Skeptic wrote:And it's OK to bark at the Moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_(Tarot_card)

First Shepherd: (pointing ot a star that has begun to blaze) Yonder star, above the dell: Let us follow him there.

Second Shepherd: Say, what was his song? Heard ye how he sang it? Three breeves to a long.

Third Shepherd: Yes marry, he thwacked it. Was no crotchet wrong nor nothing lacked it.

First Shepherd: For to sing it again right as he trilled it. I can if I may.

Second Shepherd: Let me see how ye croon, Or do ye but bark at the moon?
---------------------------------------------------
Plays For Wassailing
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5567/ssp.html

<<Wassail is closely related to the mumming traditions. Mummers also travel from door to door. They perform plays and drama do tricks and sing. This play dates from the 15th century and is a good piece of drama to add to your Wassail experience. The Second Shepherd's play is part of the Wakefield Cycle. (Wakefield is in Northern England) It was performed with the other plays in the cycle early in the morning during the feast of Corpus Christ. The stages for the plays were pageant wagons.>>
The Second Shepherd’s Play Scene 7
The fields near Bethlehem in Judea
We see the three shepheds weary and tired with walking.

Primus Pastor: That betokyns yond starne. let vs seke hym there,

Secundus Pastor: Say, what was his song? / hard ye not how he crakyd it?
Thre brefes to a long. /

Tercius Pastor: yee, mary, he hakt it. was no crochett wrong / nor no thyng that lakt it.

Primus Pastor: ffor to syng vs emong / right as he knakt it, I can.

Secundus Pastor: let se how ye croyne. Can ye bark at the mone?
Art Neuendorffer

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:57 pm

In antiquity, dogs were required to bark at the moon because firehouses with sirens had not yet been invented. Any dog who has lived near one will tell you there ain't nothin' more persuasive than a good wailing siren to howl along with. Or were the sirens howling with the dogs?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:16 pm

apodman wrote:In antiquity, dogs were required to bark at the moon because firehouses with sirens had not yet been invented. Any dog who has lived near one will tell you there ain't nothin' more persuasive than a good wailing siren to howl along with. Or were the sirens howling with the dogs?
http://www.wolfpark.org/sounds/Chorus_1.wav
http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfsounds.html
<<Wolves howl for a variety of reasons. Pack members will chorus howl to defend their territory and rally the pack together. Most howls heard in the pack are chorus howls. These group "sing-a-longs" may be started by any pack member, or they may be a response to the howling of a neighboring pack of wolves or a coyote. Wolves will even howl to something that even sounds similar like a train whistle, fire or police car siren or even a human. Such howls, though social in nature, also serve to defend the pack's territory against other wolves. Wolves can recognize the voices of others. The response of a packmate, of a known neighboring pack or a complete stranger are all solicit different responses.
Contrary to popular belief, wolves do not howl at the full moon any more often than at any other time of month. They also do not howl just at night. They do howl more frequently during the hours around sunrise and sunset, for they are more active then. Wolves also howl more often in the winter months than in the summer. However they can be heard howling any time of day any time of the year.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Tatiana
Ensign

Post by Tatiana » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Those were some great wolf sounds.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:17 pm

soupphysics wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Hi Ed!
I think sometimes the best thing to do with complainers is to ignore them. The more you reply to them the more they carry on. :shock: :?

Orin
And I guess you are one of those that think that if you don't write the last post in a debate, then the other person is the one that just keeps on and on.

Or is it that you think that your word is law, so if you write something that doesn't agree with what they complained about, then they must agree with you, and therefore not argue against it?

If you choose to reply to them, whey should they not reply to you?
I was just expressing my opinion to Ed! You can post anything you want to; I don't make any rules here. If I choose to reply or not reply that's my business. I apologize if I upset you. APOD is free to anyone who uses it; and I have no complaints about how the authors set it up on a daily bases. I enjoy it very much; but if anyone else has a problem with it and wishes to express their displeasure; that is their business. And; no I don't need the last word. So Soupphysics; have a nice day.

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Re: A complaint about complaints

Post by emc » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:43 pm

This has gotten very interesting. First, let me apologize to anyone that feels offended by my starting this thread. Second, let me state that complaining is everyone’s right and privilege. (You will understand my wimpiness in a moment)

I’ve complained about barking dogs more than a few times. Now folks are complaining about my complaining about complaining. If you are joking… cool, I hoped this thread would be taken lightly. If you are dead serious… cool, you have the right to express yourself in spite of anything MrEd says.

I think this thread could continue to unimaginable depths if taken up by our descendants after we die, kind of like the image in the mirror of another mirror that keeps repeating to theoritical infinity. I’m sure they will have things to complain about too. Like what a mess MrEd left them in the APOD Asterisk archives.

So perhaps someone will complain about this post too… and just to clarify… this post is making fun of itself and warrants a complaint. I think someone should complain about me complaining about complaining, then after receiving a complaint about it, making light of the thread in a measly attempt to add humor and depth to the serious subject of complaining.

MrEd

---
locked to stop nonsense posts and give OP the last say at the same time - makc
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.